G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

what can and will go wrong after 60K miles? 2005 G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Things I've had to have done with my 04 (just under 75K miles):
seat rocked. Then, a couple years later, seat rails stripped. Both fixed under a warranty, so $100 out of pocket, otherwise expensive.
Front brake pads twice, and rotors replaced once. Back pads once around 70K miles. Obvious wear item, just more frequent than some cars.
Replaced tires at under 40K miles. Wear item.
Third taillight went out. A couple hundred dollars for repair.
Solinoid (spelling?) for gas door broke.
Battery replaced once. can't blame car for this.
Windshield replaced. Factory glass didn't resist rock in windshield.

And a couple flakey things through the years that were never diagnosed, and normally works fine. Tire pressure sensor has triggered when it was REAL cold or real hot, even though the pressure was near nominal. Outside temp gauge has, occasionally, read 10-15 off the real temperature. A "reset" clears it up.

So, in general, except for the third tail light and seat, nothing more than what a person might expect.

Oh. Headlights like to glaze up. Gives dealerships an opportunity to try to sell service on it. I just polish it every year or 2 at home. Much cheaper.

And gas mileage has slowly dropped as we get more ethanol blended gas.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
82K here. Had to replace 1 bearing, now replacing the others. Tires/Breaks go pretty quickly, so hopefully theyve been replaced before 60K. No major repairs, mostly small cosmetic things, repainting panels as needed. Some minor suspension issues but thats due to the fact we all screw with it. Make sure to do all of your fluids at 60K.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yassy
looked and didnt see good compilation of issues that may pop up.

some issues that ive seen/heard
1. oil consumption
2. throttle body replacement.

i am trying to decide whether to get a newer g or stick with ours..all comments welcome...
Great question. I'm at the same exact point with my '05...just passed 60K and was asking myself the same thing. It was a CPO, so now I'm on my own with repairs...

I've decided to stick it out...had no issues yet (knock on wood), besides oil change and serp-belt replacement. I think it's a solid car to hang on to, especially since priorities have changed slightly (bought a house last September, getting married in July, etc.)

Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StrongG35x
Great question. I'm at the same exact point with my '05...just passed 60K and was asking myself the same thing. It was a CPO, so now I'm on my own with repairs...

I've decided to stick it out...had no issues yet (knock on wood), besides oil change and serp-belt replacement. I think it's a solid car to hang on to, especially since priorities have changed slightly (bought a house last September, getting married in July, etc.)
For preventive maintenance at 60K, I would recommend changing all of your oils and fluids. At 60k, I put synthetic gear oil in both differentials, synthetic ATF in the transfer case and power steering. I also had my Infiniti dealer perform a fluid flush on the tranny with BG Synthetic ATF. I also flush the brake fluid every 2 years and the engine coolant at 3 years.

I've doubled the 60K mark without any issues following this strategy.

One other tip, I've experienced great brake performance and pad life using Hawk HPS pads. I got 50K miles on my last set of rear pads and currently have 75K + miles on my front pads.

Good luck

Old 02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by al_macaroni
For preventive maintenance at 60K, I would recommend changing all of your oils and fluids. At 60k, I put synthetic gear oil in both differentials, synthetic ATF in the transfer case and power steering. I also had my Infiniti dealer perform a fluid flush on the tranny with BG Synthetic ATF. I also flush the brake fluid every 2 years and the engine coolant at 3 years.

I've doubled the 60K mark without any issues following this strategy.

One other tip, I've experienced great brake performance and pad life using Hawk HPS pads. I got 50K miles on my last set of rear pads and currently have 75K + miles on my front pads.

Good luck
All great stuff right there. I do that to my car and a couple other local people around chicago for a much cheaper price then the dealership. I just do the ATF flush, if you do your ATF drain n fill every 30k like your suppose then you will never need a flush. Your Diff's, trans and T-case should be every 30k. Fluids are cheap enough not to freak out.

I'm neutral about HPS pads tho. I cant say their bad but cant say their good either. Cost the same as OEM and they work.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
there isn't a number where your car BLOWS up or anything for that matter.
Oh yeah? What if he fails to replace the power band?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude i never changed my atf fluid ever on any car i have previously owned! atf fluid shouldnt really be changed! and i have never had a tranny issue with about 9 cars already!
as long as you change your engine/coolant brake, power steering and those kind of fuels your powertrain is pretty much bullet proof,
the only thing you really need to worry about is suspension sh9t, rods bushings control arm thats things that go quick and on the G they go really quick so just be ready for that!
alot of cars have seat rail issues, window motor and things like that but thats pretty much any car you get you can have such problems besides for that i must say G35s are pretty damn reliable

Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Bought a 05 G35x in november 2010.. love love loveD it.....now thinking im going to sell . last saturday, did a three point turn on the highway, had VDC off, car came around the corner, so I hit the gas, spun a bit, then when it hit red line and went to shift to second,nothing but neutral.... let off and tried again, same thing... put it in manual mode and was able to shift to 2nd.. back to drive, neutral again.. problem went away after i pulled over and re-started the car.. following tuesday, air bag light started flashing.. too scary for this guy... tranmission problem re-surfaces if you let it spin in 1st... trans fluid is fine... very disappointed with my first nissan/infiniti experience.. back to hyundai possibly.. (let the hyundai bashing begin).. :S

Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am at 111K. I have done many brake rotors, less pads. All four wheel bearings, a radiator fan (Warranty), power window (warranty). Left HID ballast. Changed the plugs and trans/diff oils and PCV valve at 40k and 80K.

For the last 30K or so I have had a P0455 code which is some purge valve behind the rear wheel - I have not bothered to replace it.

I expect it to last many more miles

Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 PM
**update ***

ok folks, last message i was devistated and upset, and as fellow g owners you hate it when something goes wrong with something you enjoy so much. I reset the airbag code using the online thing.. code dissappeared.. turns out the gf took the car through a car wash a few days earlier... first car with side airbags, so im blaming it on that.. transmissions issue doesnt seem to have re appeared, and i hope it doesnt.. happy driving

Old 02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by ryns99
Bought a 05 G35x in november 2010.. love love loveD it.....now thinking im going to sell . last saturday, did a three point turn on the highway, had VDC off, car came around the corner, so I hit the gas, spun a bit, then when it hit red line and went to shift to second,nothing but neutral.... let off and tried again, same thing... put it in manual mode and was able to shift to 2nd.. back to drive, neutral again.. problem went away after i pulled over and re-started the car.. following tuesday, air bag light started flashing.. too scary for this guy... tranmission problem re-surfaces if you let it spin in 1st... trans fluid is fine... very disappointed with my first nissan/infiniti experience.. back to hyundai possibly.. (let the hyundai bashing begin).. :S
I've experienced a similiar issue of "shifting into neutral" rather than the next gear. In my situation, I let off the gas at the shift point, then hit the gas again. This totally confused the computer and the car went into neutral.

This type of "speed shifting" worked great in my automatic '76 Camaro, but not so great with the modern electronics in a G35. In the G, you need to keep the pedal down and let the computer do all the work.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Compression rods

Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by LuXXXz
dude i never changed my atf fluid ever on any car i have previously owned! atf fluid shouldnt really be changed! and i have never had a tranny issue with about 9 cars already!
as long as you change your engine/coolant brake, power steering and those kind of fuels your powertrain is pretty much bullet proof,
the only thing you really need to worry about is suspension sh9t, rods bushings control arm thats things that go quick and on the G they go really quick so just be ready for that!
alot of cars have seat rail issues, window motor and things like that but thats pretty much any car you get you can have such problems besides for that i must say G35s are pretty damn reliable
take note that he never changed his ATF and he has owned 9 cars....

you go thru the doing a power steering flush but not a ATF drain and fill...

Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 06x has 61k now, put 21k in one year I've owned it (bought as CPO with 40k in 12/09). Did every maintenance schedule suggested but I'm now sensing my AT is slipping. Noticed a burning smell at 59k, did ATF Drain & Fill with Matic S. Burning smell gone but now AT slips when I try to accelerate from a roll in lower speeds. Posted here

Any input is appreciated.