G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Wipers "catching" on intermittent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012 | 04:44 PM
|
Wipers "catching" on intermittent

Hi all,
I have the infamous wiper catching/slapping issue on my '04 G35x when they are on intermittent, or when using the washer.
I know this is a well covered topic, but I did my due diligence and changed the wiper blades, and both of the links in the mechanism. The problem continues. Has anyone else found success beyond doing those two steps?

Thanks!

Old 02-29-2012 | 05:00 PM
I did the change the wipers and the linkage and also still have the the problem. I think the next step is to change the wiper motor.

Old 02-29-2012 | 05:06 PM
Funny how this issue popped up on here...I thought it was just me and the new wiper I got but seems like it's common. I got the issue ever since I changed my wipers from OEM to Michelins. Guess only OEM works good on our car.

Old 02-29-2012 | 05:08 PM
|
Originally Posted by kayveeee
Funny how this issue popped up on here...I thought it was just me and the new wiper I got but seems like it's common. I got the issue ever since I changed my wipers from OEM to Michelins. Guess only OEM works good on our car.
FYI - I've had this problem with OEM, Rain-X and another brand I can't remember

Old 02-29-2012 | 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by g35x_KC
FYI - I've had this problem with OEM, Rain-X and another brand I can't remember
+ 1. I've had this problem with all types of blades

Old 02-29-2012 | 05:23 PM
From what I was told the main cause of this problem is not cleaning snow off of the windshield before turning the wipers on

Old 02-29-2012 | 05:28 PM
G35
LMAO it's not the blades.

I have this problem too but I didn't realize it was common. Unless my issue is different, let me know if so.

I do know from what I've peeked briefly at thus far for my problem:

1. This issue happens when returning to the "park" position only. It will seem then, that any time it's on intermittent, it happens when they are returning to "park"
When in any other mode the wipers don't return to "park", they stay in "run" mode and dont drop down all the way. This is why you notice it in intermittent.

2. With the hood open and checking the linkages while the issue is present, it seems as I recal (checked B4 winter) that the issue is actually the motor mounting bushings being sloppy. This, or the motor itself is binding when returning to the "park" mode, and it's causing the bushings to shift hard due to the added stress.

I will be inspecting this further once I get some other stuff done on the car and I'll dig this post back up to show my findings.

If anyone actually knows the problem though (I still don't know what it is exactly), post it up please!

Old 02-29-2012 | 05:31 PM
G35
Originally Posted by 01yellowr
From what I was told the main cause of this problem is not cleaning snow off of the windshield before turning the wipers on
Most Japanese cars and higher end cars do not suffer the issues that GM, Chrysler, Dodge all do with their cheap motors and wiring. When our wiper motors get a high amperage draw (due to something blocking the wipers), they simply stall out, they don't overwhelm the motor until something breaks or burns up.

While you should of course still clear your windsheild and cowling prior to using the wipers, I doubt that this is the acutual cause of the problem in your case.

Old 02-29-2012 | 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by TunerMax
Most Japanese cars and higher end cars do not suffer the issues that GM, Chrysler, Dodge all do with their cheap motors and wiring. When our wiper motors get a high amperage draw (due to something blocking the wipers), they simply stall out, they don't overwhelm the motor until something breaks or burns up.

While you should of course still clear your windsheild and cowling prior to using the wipers, I doubt that this is the acutual cause of the problem in your case.
It is the cause for the linkage to go bad according to the parts manager @ Infiniti. As for the motor who knows, old age maybe

Old 02-29-2012 | 06:13 PM
G35
Originally Posted by 01yellowr
It is the cause for the linkage to go bad according to the parts manager @ Infiniti. As for the motor who knows, old age maybe
And I have land in Flordia that's high and dry

LOL dunno just playing, hard to say for sure, but I do know that the Infiniti runs such a system, so i very highly doubt that is the cause. Very highly.

Also that would cause damage to the motor as well if it were actually happening, due to excessive current.

Old 02-29-2012 | 06:23 PM
Check post #7. The last pic shows the bad linkage I was talking about.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ping-hard.html

Old 02-29-2012 | 08:33 PM
I have the same problem too with my g35 04 .. it slap hard occasionnally and it become annoying but i have no time to chek it. I'm curious to know what is the problem ..

Old 02-29-2012 | 08:34 PM
G35
Nice didn't see that link, thanks bro!

Old 03-01-2012 | 08:23 AM
i have this problem as well. would like some kind of fix

Old 03-01-2012 | 08:27 AM
They could just be cheap wipers. If you got them from Wal-Mart or something try getting some from Napa or AutoZone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wipers "catching" on intermittent