G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Intelligent Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2005 | 07:52 PM
|
Intelligent Key

Does anyone have this feature? I asked the dealer about it and he tried explaining it to me, but it made no sense. I don't really think he understood how it worked.

Old 01-09-2005 | 07:58 PM
I have it on my 05 its awsome. You don't need a physical key, the "key fob" acts like the key it has a transistor that talks to the car when you approach you can press a button on the door to open it. You can have the key fob in your pocket you don't have to take it out. When you get into the car you just turn the key thats is the ingition. The key fob also sperates into a physical key if needed so that you can insert that into the ingition.....

Anything else you don't understand??????????????

Originally Posted by tgrouss
Does anyone have this feature? I asked the dealer about it and he tried explaining it to me, but it made no sense. I don't really think he understood how it worked.

Old 01-09-2005 | 08:05 PM
We have it on my wife's new G (only 3 days old). Basically, it is a special keyfob that allows you to not use an actual key for the ignition. As long as you have the keyfob in your pocket (or within ~10 ft of the car), you can start it by just turning a switch inside the car. To unlock the car, there is a button right next to the door handle that when pushed, opens the door. It seems kinda pointless to me considering you have to have the keyfob with you (in pocket) at all times. I find myself wishing I had the key in the ignition instead of in my pocket. Also, you still have to have the use the keyfob when locking the car (or hitting the lock button inside the car). I'd like to hear anyone else's take on it though for some suggestions.

Old 01-09-2005 | 08:22 PM
|
That makes more sense, the dealer explained it to me that I had to touch the keyfob to the door area (where that button is), then the door would unlock.

It doesn't seem that useful though, unless I am missing something. So to open the door you either press the unlock button on the keyfob, or touch the button on the car, and if you just touch the button on the car, you can turn the ingition without using the key.

So the main idea is that you don't need a key to start the car? It seems that the unlocking part is just as easy, if not easier to touch the actual keyfob. But I guess if you touch the actual keyfob, then you must use the keyfob to start the car?

Does the button on the car unlock all four doors or just the drivers?

Please correct me if there is anything that I didn't understand.

Old 01-09-2005 | 08:51 PM
Nope as long as the key fob is on you. You can start the car. The button on the car can unlock just the drivers door with one press or with 2 press it unlocks all four doors.

Originally Posted by tgrouss
That makes more sense, the dealer explained it to me that I had to touch the keyfob to the door area (where that button is), then the door would unlock.

It doesn't seem that useful though, unless I am missing something. So to open the door you either press the unlock button on the keyfob, or touch the button on the car, and if you just touch the button on the car, you can turn the ingition without using the key.

So the main idea is that you don't need a key to start the car? It seems that the unlocking part is just as easy, if not easier to touch the actual keyfob. But I guess if you touch the actual keyfob, then you must use the keyfob to start the car?

Does the button on the car unlock all four doors or just the drivers?

Please correct me if there is anything that I didn't understand.

Old 01-09-2005 | 08:51 PM
The button near the door handle will both lock and unlock the doors. When unlocking, press once to only unlock the driver's door, press again and it will unlock all doors. The trunk also has this button, and works the same as the door. When leaving the car, you don't have to take the key out to lock, just shut the door and press the button to lock all doors. I really like it for a few reasons. 1) Smaller profile in my pocket. I do'nt like to carry keys and the physical key fits inside the keyfob. 2) Easy to just jump in and start the car without digging for a key. 3) Cool factor - you have to admit it is cool and people just seem to be amazed that I started the car without a key when riding with me. I wanted the premium package, so I am not complaining about the extra benefit of the Intelligent Key.

Old 01-09-2005 | 09:19 PM
What happends if u have a passenger with you and you decide to get out of the car and go to the store while leaving the passenger in the car? Would the car shut off since you'll end up being more then 10ft away? Cool concept though.

Old 01-09-2005 | 10:58 PM
If you removed the car from park it would kill. The key symbol on the dash will start blinking...

Originally Posted by DJSCIASCIA
What happends if u have a passenger with you and you decide to get out of the car and go to the store while leaving the passenger in the car? Would the car shut off since you'll end up being more then 10ft away? Cool concept though.

Old 01-10-2005 | 02:27 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
No, the car would not stop if you walked away. The car would continue to run.

The intelligent key is actually very handy. We have it on the FX, and it's really a feature I wish I'd gotten on my '03.5G. Much like Navi, it's one of those things that you would think "eh, I don't need it", but once you got it, you'd never give it up.

G

Old 01-13-2005 | 01:56 AM
I wasn't sure I would like the Intelligent key before I got the car but now I absolutely love it. I don't have to search my pockets for my keys as much.
If only my house and garage was compatible with my intelligent key.

It's quite an amazing system. I had the keys in my coat pocket, took off my coat and put it in my trunk, closed the trunk lid. The system beeped many times and then popped open the trunk. It was at that moment that I remembered that my key was still in my coat. With a non-intelligent key I would have been locked out.

Old 01-13-2005 | 03:36 AM
The main reason I would love that feature myself is because in my '04 the ignition is in a crappy place and the keys and my keyring are constantly rattling against the dashboard.

Sounds awesome!

Old 01-17-2005 | 03:35 AM
Is the intelligent key available only on the Automatic Transmission models? I don't see it as part of the options on the 6MT

Edit: Just did a search, and it seems that the intelligent key is not available with the 6MT.

Last edited by pbm317; 01-17-2005 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2005 | 11:00 AM
MyG37 Administrator
Premier Member
Any idea if you can have this feature installed on a Coupe?

Old 01-17-2005 | 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by DINOONE
If you removed the car from park it would kill. The key symbol on the dash will start blinking...
Ahhh.. finally I have a good reason why the manual transmission cars do not offer this feature (not that its THAT good of a reason...a simple sensor would solve this issue). I had been wondering about this for some time. Of course, if you got out of your 6MT with the car in, say, 1st, the car would just jump and die immediately anyways )

Old 01-17-2005 | 08:12 PM
It's gotta be the greatest option I ever had!
Ed