Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
ok so far the USDM base on driver side

and JDM base on the passenger side works pics in a little bit

Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 AM
ok here are some pictures

driver side is USDM mirror base

passenger side is JDM mirror base

i think i know how to make the driver side mirror close more just like the passenger side when your using the USDM mirror base on the passenger side

your going to need to do some grinding to the driver side mirror cover before i can prove that i will need a extra driver side mirror cover to practices on

By cookiekiller at 2012-06-28

By cookiekiller at 2012-06-28

Last edited by artsVQ; 06-29-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
What mirrors are those from man? Cause it's not a V35.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM
they are V35 but i have the JDM turn signal covers on them

Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by artsVQ
they are V35 but i have the JDM turn signal covers on them
Ahh was like w.t.f.

The fold in amount on the USDM base on the Driver side looks to be exactly the same as mine was.

Let me know what you come up with on this plan of yours.

I already tried notching the mechanical stop on the motor and it made no difference. The turning ability is limited to a certain amount.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Ok...

As far as I see what needs to be done is the mirror cover needs to be grinded down but I don't want to try it until I find a extra mirror cover to play with

Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
I just got an idea

If you still have your JDM driver side mirror cover you can try switching to the JDM mirror cover and try it with the USDM mirror base and if it folds all the way in then that means we need to use the jdm covers or grind down our USDM covers

Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 AM
this is the JDM driver side mirror cover

here are some spots that i am thinking are holding the USDM mirror covers from folding all the way to the window

By cookiekiller at 2012-06-29

By cookiekiller at 2012-06-29

Last edited by artsVQ; 06-30-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I just got an idea

If you still have your JDM driver side mirror cover you can try switching to the JDM mirror cover and try it with the USDM mirror base and if it folds all the way in then that means we need to use the jdm covers or grind down our USDM covers
As far as I can tell, the covers are EXACTLY THE SAME. This is further verified by the fact that they have the same Part Number stamped into them, save for Left and Right indications. Either way, I'm going to double check this in case you're right and there is something different, that'd be a welcome discovery

Also, I too thought that the amount of fold in/out could be due to interferance from something 'mechancial', but it doesn't seem that's the case.

Let's call the motor's range of movement it's "SWEEP".
If the mirror was folded in even with the trim line/window (let's call this point 0 degrees), it will only be able to fold out to about 70 degrees.

This makes our available "SWEEP" approximately 70 degrees.
REGARDLESS of how it's mounted or what components are used, as long as nothing is hitting mechanically stopping this full SWEEP. This available "SWEEP" never changes.
In short, we CANNOT CHANGE the "SWEEP" of the motor without changing the internals, etc.

SO what we're left with:

-You CAN change the mounting of the mirror. This changes it's START and STOP points from which the "SWEEP" begins and ends.

-You can try to change the actual tilt mirror's mounting or function

-You can try to change the mirror cover to accomodate a wider viewing angle somehow

Now the thing that I don't understand and want to investigate, is if my thoughts about the "SWEEP" are correct, then either the Right side motor must have more "SWEEP", or something.
My thinking: JDM setup puts driver in the right side. Using the right mirror the same was We WANT to use the left mirror. If it works properly for the right side mirror on the JDM setup, then we should be able to try and "mimik" the exact same thing on the Driver side to get what we want here. I think if we look closer at the Right side JDM setup, we might find the answer for fixing the left side.

I need to dig into this a bit more once my rear suspension is done. In the meantime, I've actually gotten fairly used to the crappy view.

Last edited by TunerMax; 06-30-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 PM
going to run some wires threw my door to the switch and try a few things on getting the driver side to close all the way

Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 PM
hey NEO this is how i ran my wires threw the doors make sure to use good wire do not use cheap soft wire... i ran the wires the same way when i did my JDM signal covers

make sure to always leave extra wire you never know when you may need it.. also your going to have to move the big rubber grommet to fish threw the wires there the door with a metal coat hanger

By cookiekiller at 2012-07-01

here you can see where my JDM signal mirrors are going threw

here your going to take out the whole rubber grommet then fish the wires threw with a metal coat hanger

after you have the wires threw the door pull them up threw the hole where the door plug thing is at

put the door plug back in make sure the wires are all next to each other.. also this plug gos in top 1st then click the bottom in

then reconnect the door plug and your done for that side now start the other side

Last edited by artsVQ; 07-01-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
As far as I can tell, the covers are EXACTLY THE SAME. This is further verified by the fact that they have the same Part Number stamped into them, save for Left and Right indications. Either way, I'm going to double check this in case you're right and there is something different, that'd be a welcome discovery

Also, I too thought that the amount of fold in/out could be due to interferance from something 'mechancial', but it doesn't seem that's the case.

Let's call the motor's range of movement it's "SWEEP".
If the mirror was folded in even with the trim line/window (let's call this point 0 degrees), it will only be able to fold out to about 70 degrees.

This makes our available "SWEEP" approximately 70 degrees.
REGARDLESS of how it's mounted or what components are used, as long as nothing is hitting mechanically stopping this full SWEEP. This available "SWEEP" never changes.
In short, we CANNOT CHANGE the "SWEEP" of the motor without changing the internals, etc.

SO what we're left with:

-You CAN change the mounting of the mirror. This changes it's START and STOP points from which the "SWEEP" begins and ends.

-You can try to change the actual tilt mirror's mounting or function

-You can try to change the mirror cover to accomodate a wider viewing angle somehow

Now the thing that I don't understand and want to investigate, is if my thoughts about the "SWEEP" are correct, then either the Right side motor must have more "SWEEP", or something.
My thinking: JDM setup puts driver in the right side. Using the right mirror the same was We WANT to use the left mirror. If it works properly for the right side mirror on the JDM setup, then we should be able to try and "mimik" the exact same thing on the Driver side to get what we want here. I think if we look closer at the Right side JDM setup, we might find the answer for fixing the left side.

I need to dig into this a bit more once my rear suspension is done. In the meantime, I've actually gotten fairly used to the crappy view.
I'm use to it too. Mirror view.

Here's what I think like what you mentioned. Our driver side is set-up like the jdm driverside ( which is our pass. side) Our pass side is like there driver side of course. So I think the motors are set up to of course to accomodate the view. I noticed our driver side mirror only extends the distance needed for you if you were on the jdm driver side which is the same as if we were on our driver side using our usdm pass mirror. Bottom line is our jdm mirror parts are meant to act for a jdm car workin as opposites..

I think that jdm bases have a different angle to them from one side to another just like the usdm do. Its very small.

I'm just wire my up and deal with it since I dont use my side mirrors much.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
hey NEO this is how i ran my wires threw the doors make sure to use good wire do not use cheap soft wire... i ran the wires the same way when i did my JDM signal covers

make sure to always leave extra wire you never know when you may need it.. also your going to have to move the big rubber grommet to fish threw the wires there the door with a metal coat hanger

here you can see where my JDM signal mirrors are going threw

here your going to take out the whole rubber grommet then fish the wires threw with a metal coat hanger

after you have the wires threw the door pull them up threw the hole where the door plug thing is at

put the door plug back in make sure the wires are all next to each other.. also this plug gos in top 1st then click the bottom in

then reconnect the door plug and your done for that side now start the other side

I'm surpise you didnt run it through the molex plug. Would of looked alot cleaner. You werent far from it.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 AM

Time is ticking on those wires before they rub through. Hope that circuit is well protected man. Highly recommend you re-do that. That's not good. No offense meant here, just trying to save you future headache.

Originally Posted by neo_anderson302
I'm surpise you didnt run it through the molex plug. Would of looked alot cleaner. You werent far from it.
Not Molex. Here's a standard Molex style:

There is nothing even remotely like that on the G35, or any Infiniti except for a Trailer plug in on tow equipped SUV's.

Anyways there's a special tool needed to re-pin this plug and you also need to pin the backside of the receiving harness. It's a big job requiring specialized tools that aren't readily available.

I don't know why this is a big deal, use the grommet just below the main harness like I illustrated earlier

Last edited by TunerMax; 07-02-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by TunerMax

Time is ticking on those wires before they rub through. Hope that circuit is well protected man. Highly recommend you re-do that. That's not good.

Not Molex. Here's a standard Molex style:

There is nothing even remotely like that on the G35, or any Infiniti except for a Trailer plug in on tow equipped SUV's.

Anyways there's a special tool needed to re-pin this plug and you also need to pin the backside of the receiving harness. It's a big job requiring specialized tools that aren't readily available.

I don't know why this is a big deal, use the grommet just below the main harness like I illustrated earlier
Running it through the plug is alot cleaner and safer. Just my opinion. I want my car to look factory and clean.

And you dont need a tool to run through it, but professional I would say its recommend.

http://slap.gotdns.org/SpeakerWireDIY.pdf

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JDM Mirror Goodies