G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Finally happened, got ripped off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally happened, got ripped off

Guys I am in a real bind here, been lucky all my life buying cars but now I finally got ripped off. 9K in the hole.

Recently brought a 2005 G35x from someone in brooklyn. Autochecker came up clean 0 issues. Went to see the car, ran great 0 issues. Week after buying I finally got to drive it more, since today is Friday and what happens, car shuts off twice while driving, christmas lights on the dash, check engine light on, slip light on etc.

Hit up the seller via text, guy calls me back, acting extremely sincere and baffled, said he drove the car 50 miles a day with his daughter in the car everyday no issues, even said he may gimme the number to "his" mechanic to check things out. He goes on to tell me, its the battery connections.

I have read many articles on a very similar issue on our G35's from throttle position problems to sensors. I dont think he drove 50 miles a day without the car shutting off when I couldn't even drive 10 miles.

I will use a code reader tomorrow to see the problem, however can loose battery connections cause a shutdown while driving? This seems highly unlikely to me.

9k down the drain **** my life. Maybe I should sue him?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
hopefully those dang blasted cam/crankshaft sensors. Easy, common fix.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Sorry to hear that you got possibly scammed. How many miles is on the x? I dont know if bad connections can do that but you never know. Did you check the battery for lose cables? Im not a car tech im sure somebody will try to help you.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
How are you scammed? You have no idea what is wrong or if seller knew about it.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhosUrBuddiee:
jhamal242 (03-21-2014), Urbanengineer (02-22-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
How are you scammed? You have no idea what is wrong or if seller knew about it.
I feel scammed because the seller was withholding information because he wanted to sell the car. I deliberately asked him if the car has ever shut off on him or if he has done / has any problems with the cam sensors and he was incredibly sincere when he said "no"

To answer a previous question the car has 115K miles, inside and out the car was extremely mint.

I did a lot of reading on this forum before I brought a G and I knew this "MAY" be an issue. Now that I have experienced the christmas lights and shut offs first hand, and reading other accounts, I am almost certain its the Cam sensors. Luckily there is a DIY on this blessed forum I can follow to fix. Now I only need to find a vendor for the parts, I might as well save myself the trouble and change both bank sensors.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
this is an extremely common and extremely easy issue to fix even though it is inconvienent..get the code read and go from there. These cam/crank sensors go bad out of no where, I wouldn't say you've gotten ripped off yet.

The following 2 users liked this post by JaE35:
bigjee (02-22-2014), seymore4 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by JaE35
this is an extremely common and extremely easy issue to fix even though it is inconvienent..get the code read and go from there. These cam/crank sensors go bad out of no where, I wouldn't say you've gotten ripped off yet.
Yea but I feel that way... until its fixed Ill stay positive for now, only because I have a lead on the problem thanks to this forum. <3

Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
This happened to a friends car yesterday. All it was was a loose battery terminal. I didnt realize that it could do that. But that was the issue and now resolved. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by frontieragent
This happened to a friends car yesterday. All it was was a loose battery terminal. I didnt realize that it could do that. But that was the issue and now resolved. Good luck.
Wow really? how long did he drive to confirm it was "alright" ?

Old 02-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by doesntmatterz
I feel scammed because the seller was withholding information because he wanted to sell the car. I deliberately asked him if the car has ever shut off on him or if he has done / has any problems with the cam sensors and he was incredibly sincere when he said "no"

To answer a previous question the car has 115K miles, inside and out the car was extremely mint.

I did a lot of reading on this forum before I brought a G and I knew this "MAY" be an issue. Now that I have experienced the christmas lights and shut offs first hand, and reading other accounts, I am almost certain its the Cam sensors. Luckily there is a DIY on this blessed forum I can follow to fix. Now I only need to find a vendor for the parts, I might as well save myself the trouble and change both bank sensors.
You have ZERO proof he lied. You are so quick to jump the gun and call seller a scammer when you really have no clue. You should first figure out what is wrong before you go around accusing people of things.

The following 4 users liked this post by WhosUrBuddiee:
bigjee (02-22-2014), Frankieg35 (02-22-2014), Max626 (02-21-2014), Urbanengineer (02-22-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
You have ZERO proof he lied. You are so quick to jump the gun and call seller a scammer when you really have no clue. You should first figure out what is wrong before you go around accusing people of things.
Amen! You admitted car was in mint condition, get it fixed and enjoy the ride!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
bigjee (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 12:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Guys I am in a real bind here, been lucky all my life buying cars but now I finally got ripped off. 9K in the hole.

Recently brought a 2005 G35x from someone in brooklyn. Autochecker came up clean 0 issues. Went to see the car, ran great 0 issues. Week after buying I finally got to drive it more, since today is Friday and what happens, car shuts off twice while driving, christmas lights on the dash, check engine light on, slip light on etc.

Hit up the seller via text, guy calls me back, acting extremely sincere and baffled, said he drove the car 50 miles a day with his daughter in the car everyday no issues, even said he may gimme the number to "his" mechanic to check things out. He goes on to tell me, its the battery connections.

I have read many articles on a very similar issue on our G35's from throttle position problems to sensors. I dont think he drove 50 miles a day without the car shutting off when I couldn't even drive 10 miles.

I will use a code reader tomorrow to see the problem, however can loose battery connections cause a shutdown while driving? This seems highly unlikely to me.

9k down the drain **** my life. Maybe I should sue him?
read the codes and then determine how much the fix is going to cost you.
Its a used car and somethings wear out.
Less emotion, more logical thinking goes a long way. Especially if you're going to make serious accusations like that.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Drammmaaaa queen. Haha

There's nothing about a car that can't be fixed other than a bent frame. You'll get it taken care of, man. And $9k for an otherwise pristine G? Sheeiit, consider yourself lucky. Those are salvage title prices.

The following users liked this post:
Frankieg35 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
In America, common law says Buyer Beware with car purchases. Unless he lied to you directly about what were the issues when you asked (other then "does it run"). A G35 can run great one day and have a christmas lights display the next because of an electrical issue.

Search around and you should find your answer, in my case it was a cam position sensor when the lights came on.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 Even if he did know, you would need some proof of his knowledge before you bring it to court. Also based on the milage over 100k it is beyond the NY Lemon Law (which only covers vehicles bought bought it from a dealer). You might want to ask for the contact info and call the mechanic (you can record the call if you are from NYS) to see what he knows about the car. Even if you could put a case together your damages are not what you paid for the car, but the cost to fix it.

Originally Posted by frontieragent
This happened to a friends car yesterday. All it was was a loose battery terminal. I didnt realize that it could do that. But that was the issue and now resolved.
Bad grounds can create havoc. I had this problem with another car. Idiot lights and gauges put on a heck of a show but the car still ran....badly Turned out to be the body ground.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally happened, got ripped off