G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Happy friday the 13th....front driveshaft broke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 12:44 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Happy friday the 13th....front driveshaft broke

Front driveshaft u joint decided to fail...at 80 mph. Managed to clank my way off the highway to a parking lot and await a tow. Haven't really gotten under the car yet to see the danage, but front is pretty much not connected anymore.

I see aftermarket shafts for about $300. How bad is this job to do? I've read the cat needs to come off, but at 171k miles and living in the salt belt...that may require a sawzall.

It may be time to ditch the car. I just don't have time to keep fixing it and what it would cost to pay to be fixed is better spent on a new ride.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:14 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I have no idea on cost since I don't have any experience with awd but at 171k I'd say you and she have had a great run but its time to move on.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:23 PM
welp, looks like when the shaft broke loose, it took out a chunk of the bell housing.

Not even gonna waste my time or money. It's been a good run. But seeing as I just bought a house and have projects, I could use a truck right now.

It's been a good run

Old 05-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What causes a driveshaft to break anyways?

Old 05-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
welp, looks like when the shaft broke loose, it took out a chunk of the bell housing.

Not even gonna waste my time or money. It's been a good run. But seeing as I just bought a house and have projects, I could use a truck right now.

It's been a good run
Wow. Since I arrived late to the forum three years ago, you've been one of the AWD rocks. You will be missed. I'm at 97K and going up slowly. If I get another 75K miles like you, I'll be pretty happy.

Maybe you should buy a coupe too just for fun....

Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
welp, looks like when the shaft broke loose, it took out a chunk of the bell housing. Not even gonna waste my time or money. It's been a good run. But seeing as I just bought a house and have projects, I could use a truck right now. It's been a good run
in attorney review for my house at the moment. The truck I just got as well is definitely good for the projects. Good idea there

Old 05-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by Fire0nic3
What causes a driveshaft to break anyways?
The universal joint failed. From what I see, it's common.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OwTpwCgesHU

About 3 days before the fail, I heard a clicking when backing into a parking spot. Sounded like a cv axle click. Was gonna take a look this weekend when doing an oil change, but obviously didn't make it that far

Old 05-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Damn man, that's just crazy! Hopefully you'll stick around here, we need your knowledge. Have fun on the search for a new truck!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanka for the heads up. Being an 06x myself, I'm sure it's bound to happen eventually. Ill keep my ears open to any unsual noises to catch it before it happens.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Damn man, that's just crazy! Hopefully you'll stick around here, we need your knowledge. Have fun on the search for a new truck!
I'm still here for now. I figure if get what? $200-500 in trade in for a car that I need to tow in. I'll just keep the car and either sell it as parts or repair...or at least change out the driveshaft and get it drivable and sell it.

I just don't have the time to do it now and will be getting a rental car Til I can get a new vehicle. Just don't have the free time and don't want to keep dumping $$ into a car with almost 200k miles.

I'll post pics of the carnage tomorrow. Basicslky the driveshaft sheared at the u joint. The rotating shaft then took out the bell housing in a spot and banged up the PS lines a bit. I was at 80mph when it happened....so it sure as hell scared the **** out of me when it went. Definitely not a cheap repair unless I ignore the bell and just get the car drivable again. Wonder if I can yank the shaft and AWD fuse? Wish I caught this earlier

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 05-15-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
The ole high school RWD approach ^.

It would be sad to lose you, but I understand your car has been fighting back for the past while. If you were as young as me I'd say ditch the sedan and get the coupe like I did .

Are you thinking of buying a Silverado? Jersey just bought one. I might be buying a GMC truck soon. We are all buying trucks I guess. Are we getting old, or just new hobbies ?

Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Are you thinking of buying a Silverado? Jersey just bought one. I might be buying a GMC truck soon. We are all buying trucks I guess. Are we getting old, or just new hobbies ?
It's just easier with house projects. I have been changing out doors, buying things that I can't fit in the back of a G35 (WTF with the seats that don't fold down) and just overall a truck or SUV would be more practical. Plus we have two kids, so we could use the room now. I did look at Silverado's, but they (and the F150's) are still almost $30K for a slightly used model.

I might just buy a cheap commuter car too. Some little Subaru or Accord or something

It's not like I won't have a fun car anymore...I've got a Mustang and Harley in the garage. I just will miss having a fast daily driver...but you are right. The car has been fighting me with little things going wrong the last year. I just had an exhaust leak pop up a few weeks ago that I was going to get fixes soon. I just don't have the time anymore. I need a car I can just put gas in and drive. 171K miles (I bought it with maybe 15K) has been a great run out of the car and I feel like I got my money worth out of it.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 05-16-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:01 AM
As promised...

Name:  IMG_5471_zpsar3kec2h.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  157.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5477_zpsluj7acdd.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  135.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5480_zps6u6nnogb.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  304.6 KB

Found those parts on the engine undershield. Didn't take it off yet to see if the actual u-joint is on there somewhere. I hope it didn't hit anyone when it let loose. I was on a packed highway when this happened, so if pieces fell to the road, they prob hit someone.

Bellhousing damage doesn't look like it's in a critical strength spot. Coule prob JB weld that big chunk back in place. But interesting how the universal just sheared right at the joint. Like I said before, the only noise I had was some CV axle style clicking a few days beforehand when backing up. It could have been making noise a bit longer as the weather only started to get nice recently, so my windows have been down. Power Steering lines are damaged too but haven't found where yet. I just took this pics from side of car, haven't had time to jack it up and really investigate. Either way, I don't have the time, nor desire to put any more money into the car. Just 3 weeks ago I had to replace all 4 tires when one blew on the highway. So $800 for Conti DWS06's are now down the drain. Still need to replace the driver's side lowe control arm bushing as well...and I think one of the front wheel bearings is bad (again) as well. It's a shame too...car is pretty clean and interior in great shape. never had any engine/trans issues other than burning oil. So...I'm throwing in the towel.

But, for you AWD guys...take a look at this joint and make sure it looks ok here and give it a spin by hand.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 05-16-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Well it's been a good run. Have fun with the next one! And thanks for your help all these years.

The following users liked this post:
Mustang5L5 (05-16-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
It will be fine by just replacing the driveshaft. The hole in the bellhousing will not affect anything as we see this all the time. The last one I replaced snapped the whole nose off of the diff. and snatched the pinion gear completely out so you are actually one of the lucky ones. Lol. Hope you decide to stick this old crazy G game out with us brother.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Happy friday the 13th....front driveshaft broke