G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

When did you have to replace your original clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan

Got all the service records when I bought my 2004 6MT sedan. Noted on one receipt at around 98k miles was that the clutch had 10% life left based on clutch fork position. No receipts showing clutch was replaced (and I got everything with the car) so obviously the dealer estimate of life left was way off since the car is currently at 133k miles. After I bought the car I had my mechanic replace the front anti-roll bar D bushing bolts that somehow were missing on the driver's side and look over the car to see if there was anything he felt might need to be done in the near future. He said everything looked fine on the rack and the clutch felt really good so he didn't feel failure was imminent.

Just curious how many miles everyone got out of their original clutch or what mileage they currently have if they still have the original.

Also, for those who replaced their clutch, did you stick with the dual mass flywheel or go with a lighter aftermarket one?

Old 07-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I just rolled over 160k and still on my original clutch.

The following 2 users liked this post by ScraggleRock:
Scottwax (07-14-2016), telcoman (07-13-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
When I traded in my 2006 G35 at 171796 miles it still had the original clutch

Telcoman

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

My previous G just hit 140k on the original clutch before it was totalled, with no signs of preeminent failure

Scottwax (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my 2005 OB G35 6MT sedan for a month now and put about 1000 miles on it. The carfax and full service history shows no clutch replacements. The car has 116,xxx miles on it (feels and drives like its new) and the clutch is tight, haven't slipped or grinded gears and had been driving it pretty hard/rough to get the feel of the car/clutch as I haven't driven one in a couple of years. I am still getting used to this clutch as its more delicate to get it into 1st gear than other cars and I only stalled it once since I have had it (needs a delicate foot versus other cars which seem a little more forgiving, probably could be re-adjusted).

Old 07-14-2016, 06:31 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Good to know the stock clutch seems to last a while. Must say this car shifts 1000x better than my 6 speed '02 Maxima did. Clutch take-up, etc the same but actual shifting, zero comparison. So much more direct. Lot shorter throw too.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:40 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Good to know the stock clutch seems to last a while. Must say this car shifts 1000x better than my 6 speed '02 Maxima did. Clutch take-up, etc the same but actual shifting, zero comparison. So much more direct. Lot shorter throw too.
Nicest gearbox ever made. I love shifting. I thought my M5's shifter was the ultimate, but then I got my G.

90,000 on my '04 sedan, and no signs of failure (but I have a spare in my garage for when it does).

Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was my first 6 speed. I dont have any issues with 1-2-3-4 shifting , 5/6 gears are sometimes tight to get into unless you have the clutch in at the right area/spot so it gets some used too and it shifts seamlessly from 4th to 5th and into 6th. I have only had this car for a month so still getting used to the clutch, it seems like it needs to be in the right spot, not as much "range" in the clutch engagement compared to other cars I have had.

I owned a brand new (at the time) 2000 Ford Contour SVT and the clutch was excellent and smooth except it needed a short throw shifter, which I did that a ton of other stuff later on. This G35 has a pretty short throw shifter for being stock, I don't feel like I really need any shorter throw. I only drive the car normal with random bursts of fun. I don't do any serious racing or track or abuse the car so I cannot speak from a hardcore thrashing standpoint.

I had a 1996 VW GTI VR6 fully modded out and gutted for serious weight reduction (no bumpers, etc) and that cars 5 speed was pretty good, very easy to get into gear. The only problem with the car was it was very easy to lift the rear wheel on hard turns.

years go by and you forget how the feeling was from clutch to clutch of the cars you driven. I would have to say the this 6MT is excellent except I dont like how delicate it is to engage the clutch with this car compared to the SVT contour and GTI VR6, those other cars were more forgiving and had more "range" in the clutch where the G35/350z clutch is kinda more like you gotta be spot on with it. This car would be a nightmare to control such going up a hill in gridlock traffic. The other manuals I have driven I never had this feeling on hills with the clutch. But then again I have only had this car for a little over a month and I haven't driven a stick in about 4 years.

I love the surge of acceleration with these 6MT sedans (I have 05 revup). I didn't realize when I bought this car a month ago that I was buying a 2+2 luxury 4 door 350z until came to this forum and realized what was up, I didn't know that infiniti and nissan shared same platforms/engine/trans. I wasn't even looking for this car or even thought about these infiniti/nissan brands until this car was brought to my attention at the very last minute when my other car had severe mechanical issues and I needed another car within 24 hours..... crazy, love this purchase.

IMHO the 2005-2006 Obsidian Black G35 sedan with sport package 10 spoke rims, and no rear spoiler is one of the most sharpest cars on the road!

Last edited by crazy_d; 07-17-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:58 AM
6 speed G35 sedan
Currently at 157,400 and change, still on the original clutch. spins the tires several feet on the 1-2 upshift if I'm all the way into it. If the fluid level has dropped in the clutch master, it's so little I don't notice it.

Is there some point it's advisable to replace the clutch as preventative maintenance? My son is getting married in June in Cincinnati, driving up so I have my car while I'm there. Based on current mileage, would be around 161k miles by then assuming I don't take any trips between now and then. If the clutch still feels good, should be fine, right?

Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'm a little on the fence about doing a preemptive strike on a clutch. If it's your only vehicle and has that many miles then I would replace the clutch early because otherwise it's going to fail in the middle of a snowstorm or while you're out of town or something. If you have other vehicles you can drive then I'd just keep running it until the first hard launch that you SMELL the clutch, typically you'll smoke the clutch a few times before you notice slippage and the smell is pretty distinct. Like something burning but not vehicle fluid burning, a little closer to burning tires but different, you'll know when you smell it.

Scottwax (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:47 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I'm a little on the fence about doing a preemptive strike on a clutch. If it's your only vehicle and has that many miles then I would replace the clutch early because otherwise it's going to fail in the middle of a snowstorm or while you're out of town or something. If you have other vehicles you can drive then I'd just keep running it until the first hard launch that you SMELL the clutch, typically you'll smoke the clutch a few times before you notice slippage and the smell is pretty distinct. Like something burning but not vehicle fluid burning, a little closer to burning tires but different, you'll know when you smell it.
I've got my Accord to drive if I need it. I know the smell of burning clutch, had issues with my first Celica, went out completely on the freeway.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Never on my G35! On my previous '92 Nissan 300ZXTT at 118K miles the rear main seal failed and destroyed the clutch. Sold her at 125K miles and she's still on the road.
Gary

Scottwax (01-06-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:16 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Currently at 157,400 and change, still on the original clutch. spins the tires several feet on the 1-2 upshift if I'm all the way into it. If the fluid level has dropped in the clutch master, it's so little I don't notice it.

Is there some point it's advisable to replace the clutch as preventative maintenance? My son is getting married in June in Cincinnati, driving up so I have my car while I'm there. Based on current mileage, would be around 161k miles by then assuming I don't take any trips between now and then. If the clutch still feels good, should be fine, right?
At 35mph on a flat road, put your car in 5th gear and put the gas to the floor. If your MPH and TAC increase at the same rate your clutch is good to go. If your tac revs faster than your speedometer, you may want to think about a new clutch.

Burnt the **** out of my clutch 2 months ago going driving thru eureka springs, AR. It's an old mountain town in the Ozarks and was definitely not built for cars, but it's incredibly charming so they accept the tourism. Anyway, there was a street with a turn off SO steep that I knew I couldn't make it, but I'm a guy, so I went for it thinking I could get a perfect angle.

Nope!
Almost certain I was teetering on my tranny (very VERY violent thump in the undercarriage). I hit the brakes, pulled the ebrake and told my gf to ask the guy behind me to back up.He did and I wasn't sure how much rear tire I had touching the ground, so I put it in reverse, revved it, released the ebrake and dumped the clutch. I pulled it out, but that damn thing smelled so bad. I drove it 2400 miles home (a lot of it thru snow) and, while it smelled for about 500 miles it was fine even tho it had a little bit of a grind in those early, cold Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming mornings.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 01-09-2018 at 07:33 AM.