Modifying G35 Sedan - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Modifying G35 Sedan

Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 PM

Cool Modifying G35 Sedan

Hello,

I am attempting to modify my 2003 G35 Sedan to be badass. It currently has 230,000 miles on it... so I plan on doing some heavy restoration to it, especially an engine rebuild. Currently, I am trying to decide on either:
A) Rebuilding my current motor, upgrading the internals such as piston heads, rods, etc, while also boring out the cylinder bore to make the engine at least 4.0 L, among other things
B) Buying a newer model VQ (possibly an 05 or 06 rev-up, all depending on if I can fit it in my current engine bay) while also boring it out, upgrading it, etc. (probably the more expensive option)

Other modifications I plan on doing are upgrading the exhaust, probably switching it up to a true dual exhaust setup according to a method I came across. External oil cooler if I do bore it out, and power steering/brake fluid cooler.

In addition, I absolutely want to put boost on it. I am trying to decide whether to dual charge it (Super charger AND turbo charger), Twin Turbo, Single Turbo, or Super Charge it. The brands of Superchargers I am looking at are: Vortech Super Charger kit; SOHO Turbo Kit; or any other reliable and reputable brands. Of course, these will all come with an upgraded fuel system, and all engine upgrades will come with an ECU (I'm considering HalTech) for tuning, as I've heard the stock ECU is a pain to tune.

Lastly, so far, I plan to add a strut bar, upgraded suspension, upgraded sway bars, and wider tires for added handling and traction. To address the oil consumption problem, I plan to add a vented catch can system. I also plan to possibly add a roll cage to the vehicle, and eventually a body kit to make it look like it has the performance that it does. Racing seats and a short shifter and possibly a sequential gearbox are also upgrades on my list.

My end goal is to hopefully be a Mustang killer, and squash most popular cars while also being a fun track car. Possibly with 500+ hp? Who knows.

So, the question that I have for you all are: Do you all have any recommendations? Any experiences with any of the modifications that I plan, and anything to look out for? What would you estimate the power I would be getting from all of these upgrades? What compression ratio should I be expecting if I bore out the motor, and how much boost would be safe to push in it? Cost is not a problem, I plan to add these upgrades over time. I want to stick with the VQ platform because while 2JZ and LS swaps are good, I want to do something semi-unique that isn't going to be easy to do to make it a one of a kind. And yes, I did say it is a sedan, which is making it even more unique because people typically only mod the coupes and I prefer the look of the sedan better.

Thank you, and have a great day!

-slowG35man
Old 07-10-2018, 07:08 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Thanked 1,287 Times in 1,049 Posts
If you want a model by which to judge what's involved in a project of the magnitude you're talking about spend time and read all 2300 posts in this thread. Possibly the baddest G to ever grace our presence but I can tell you ttrank custom made a lot of his parts and still spent tens of thousands of dollars on the beast. Building a sedan isn't really all that unique as it's been done a lot over the years by adventurous owners all over the world.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ddy-twins.html
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dream View Post
If you want a model by which to judge what's involved in a project of the magnitude you're talking about spend time and read all 2300 posts in this thread. Possibly the baddest G to ever grace our presence but I can tell you ttrank custom made a lot of his parts and still spent tens of thousands of dollars on the beast. Building a sedan isn't really all that unique as it's been done a lot over the years by adventurous owners all over the world.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ddy-twins.html
By saying that I want to build something unique to the sedan, I meant that the majority of the modded out G's that I see are usually coupes, and typically the community leans over to coupes in general.

But... I do have to say... After seeing that... I did cream my pants. That's just about exactly what I want to do. As for custom parts and such, I expected I would need to after reading some reviews on a good amount of turbo kits that I have read. No worries, I have plenty of mechanic friends who could do it for me/help me out. But ****... That car is insane.

Thank you for the input!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:41 PM

No worries, just poke through this forum and you'll see tons of sedans that have been modified from mild to wild. Hell there's even a sedan oriented meet in California every fall and we'll get sedans from all over the US that attend, almost all of which are modded. I made the journey in 2011 from Austin, Tx. to LA, then Venice beach, up to Sacramento and a stop in Phoenix on the way home to meet ttrank and check out his beast. I had no idea he'd let me drive it, cream my pants is a monstrous understatement. All in all almost 4000K miles in 9 days in my sedan which also got a photoshoot in downtown LA from Candlestick Park (look him up here to see the most awesome LS sedan ever). Possibly my best vacation ever and the car crossed 100K on the journey. Soaked up every mile like a champ. Here's a couple of my favorite pics from the trip.

Full thread here: https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...otography.html

Last edited by Blue Dream; 07-11-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
No worries, just poke through this forum and you'll see tons of sedans that have been modified from mild to wild. Hell there's even a sedan oriented meet in California every fall and we'll get sedans from all over the US that attend, almost all of which are modded. I made the journey in 2011 from Austin, Tx. to LA, then Venice beach, up to Sacramento and a stop in Phoenix on the way home to meet ttrank and check out his beast. I had no idea he'd let me drive it, cream my pants is a monstrous understatement. All in all almost 4000K in 9 days in my sedan which also got a photoshoot in downtown LA from Candlestick Park (look him up here to see the most awesome LS sedan ever). Possibly my best vacation ever and the car crossed 100K on the journey. Soaked up every mile like a champ. Here's a couple of my favorite pics from the trip.

Full thread here: https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...otography.html
Those pics look amazing! Is that your car? What did you do to lower it? Coilovers? And no ****? I'm going definitely make it out there one of these days. I'm from the East Coast so that'll be at least 2 days 1 way. But probably worth it. Do you think it's even worth it to modify my car at the mileage it's at? Especially the chassis?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 PM

Only you can decide if modding your car is worth it. We have a sedan on here that's at 370k miles on it with minimal work done considering the mileage. "Worth"is a matter of personal taste but these cars have proven reliable over and over again with proper maintenance in the long run. If you want to check out my full journey search the forum for my "Epic build thread of the century" thread. Started out as a joke but ended up chronicling the highs and lows of my modding efforts over the years. It's a good read for someone like you who's just starting out.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Only you can decide if modding your car is worth it. We have a sedan on here that's at 370k miles on it with minimal work done considering the mileage. "Worth"is a matter of personal taste but these cars have proven reliable over and over again with proper maintenance in the long run. If you want to check out my full journey search the forum for my "Epic build thread of the century" thread. Started out as a joke but ended up chronicling the highs and lows of my modding efforts over the years. It's a good read for someone like you who's just starting out.
I definitely will! The only thing that worries me is what I'll find if I work on my car. "Previous owner" as I call them (I bought the car off of a friend for a hell of a deal who had it for a year, and I don't know who had it before them but they did some horrible work to it) was a complete idiot. Every. Single. Time. I change something on the car, like an air filter or spark plug, no matter where it is in the car, I always find something missing. The title's clean, and I haven't found any actual problems with the frame or anything, but there's always a nut or a bolt missing. Kinda scary, but it still works. Wouldn't surprise me if the dumb *** removed the airbag or some stupid thing like that. Pretty sure they hit something, the front bumper has some scuffing and the grill was horribly wrapped. I took the wrapping off and saw way.. they cracked the **** out of it. Same with one of the headlights. It's cracked and they use silicone to fix it... so I do need to get a new set of headlights. I mean, they're fogged now so it's kinda justified. I could use a restore kit but they only keep it clear for a month or two. Anyway, I will definitely check it out, and if I do decide that I want to go down the route of modding my car, I'll create another thread of progress and such (if that's allowed, and if that's an interest of people).
Old 07-11-2018, 05:28 AM

Hang in there, most of what you mention is minor stuff in the big picture so that's a good thing. If you do decide to move forward with your mods definitely make a build thread. It's always interesting for us old timers to see what the newer members are doing and you might have a new member in 7 years ask you what you've done lolol.

So you don't have to search: https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...d-century.html
Old 07-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Premier Member

Honestly, your best bet would be an LS swap. Especially if you want to boost the engine. Since the motor is more compact and sits lower, there is way more room in the engine bay. Been done often enough there is a kit out there that handles the wiring so you can keep your gauge cluster.
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

It all depends on your budget. If you have thirty grand + to spend and want to pay shop to build it have them do what they know best. If you are talking about a budget build and have welding/fabrication and tuning skills a 600 WHP G35 can be done for 10k. I wouldn't suggest building anything special with the VQ35. Keep it simple IE: Forged pistons and rods and run 20 - 24 psi. There really is no reason to build an expensive stroker with cams unless you plan on joining the 1k HP club and at that point I would start with the HR stuff.

I've tossed around Single turbo (too much space and generates lots of heat), Twin turbo, and a Rotrex (Expensive but compact) supercharger for my G35 build. It always falls back to the twin turbo setup because of cost, space requirements and performance. If the Rotrex kit was a bit cheaper I would consider it but my twin Borg Warner setup is only going to cost me about 1k since we are fabbing all of the manifolds and piping. I'll never build a BIG single turbo street car again, too much exhaust piping generates under hood and tunnel temps. Maybe for a track car but not something that is going to sit in traffic with air conditioning.

Last edited by scumbagsleeper; Yesterday at 12:43 PM.