Issues with old aftermarket remote start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35X AWD
Issues with old aftermarket remote start

Hello,

I have a 2006 G35x that I've had now for 5 years or so. When I got it, someone had installed an old remote start system, the remote didnt work at all, so I tossed it. The box under the dash says CODE ALARM. The problem is that now I want to use the factory keyless entry, but I cannot get the remotes to connect to the car whatsoever. I've tried numerous occasions, two different brand remotes, new batteries, everything. The car will not recognize any fob no matter what. So I've never had working keyless entry on my car since I've owned it.

My question is do they usually bypass the factory Keyless Entry module when installing an aftermarket remote start? If so, how can I get it working again? I bought a new Keyless module, but I have a feeling it has to do with the remote start wiring and not the module.

If anyone has any insight into this, I'd really appreciate it. I've wasted hours on this. Thanks much guys!

Old 04-10-2024, 08:53 PM
Received 103 Likes on 89 Posts
Very likely that "Code Alarm" remote start install is what messed things up because they need to tap into several of the car's systems to operate. Grab these three Factory Service Manuals (below the viewing window you can "click here to download a copy") and spend a few more hours tracing things out. Hopefully the answer will be in there ... somewhere.
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...2006%2Fbcs.pdf
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F2006%2Fbl.pdf
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F2006%2Fpg.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock w stereo
Originally Posted by bryan.james87
If anyone has any insight into this, I'd really appreciate it. I've wasted hours on this. Thanks much guys!
What I do in these circumstances is literally just remove the whole thing...lock, stock, and barrel. If you look around you can almost always tell what isn't supposed to be there. Intricate alarms have so many wires, leads, etc. Just find the "brain" units and track every single wire coming from them. In your case you might also look for (factory) things that may have been unplugged, fuses removed, etc. If the alarm had some sort of unlocking feature they probably "bridged" the lines to the locks in some way.

This was my most recent alarm removal in a G (attached, before and after). You are only seeing about half of what was jammed up there in the first picture. That's just what fell down when I removed that panel. In total there were five modules crammed and jammed up under the dash. The only saving grace is the installer had done everything from the driver's side, so it was all in one working area. I took about two four hour days to get it all back "right".

This was the full fledged alarm with remote start, etc. Although it would be neat to have that feature, after looking at the install I was uncomfortable with it. I contemplated reinstalling it myself from scratch, but the remote was missing (a $100+ item) so that was just enough for me not to get into it - I just put the car back "stock".

Old alarm removal is often a big job but more time consuming than anything. The majority of installers don't take the time to actually make working harnesses, etc and just tap into lines, etc. So while this makes things messy and ensure you can never make the car 100% again, the one advantage is it allows you to see where they have been and what they've done super clearly.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35X AWD
Thanks so much! Yea, I pulled the old Code Alarm box out, left the harness for now. I tried the keyless entry once this was unhooked, but still no go. Ill start tracing all the wires from the harness and clipping them off until I get the whole harness out.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock w stereo
Thanks so much! Yea, I pulled the old Code Alarm box out, left the harness for now. I tried the keyless entry once this was unhooked, but still no go.
Of course not. The way these things work is whatever system they are interfacing with passes their signal through the control units. For that matter, in most cases you will loose features when you unplug a module, etc. For example, if a car has an aftermarket remote starter, you won't even be able to start your car with the key if you unhook and/or remove the module (and do nothing further).

I'll start tracing all the wires from the harness and clipping them off until I get the whole harness out.
As mentioned before, the technique is to locate the various aftermarket control "boxes" and trace from them to where they are wired in. I'd start by finding the main (alarm?) unit and look it up and see what other add on accessories (options) it might have. In other words, you will want to know what to be looking for.