G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

!!! 5at Shifting !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers

Some of the highest performing cars in the world are moving toward manual-shift automatics - the technology has come a long way.
Actually, there is a distinction between Automatics with manual mode vs. an actual semi-auto gearbox like the SMG in the Bimmers and the paddle shifts in Ferraris.

The autos with manual shift mode like in the G or Acura TL, it's still an automatic transmission with clutch bands, torque converters, and valve bodies. Where as the SMG trannies and the ones in Ferraris, it's an actual manual gearbox with synchros, clutch forks. It's just that those things have servos and actuators that actually operates the shifter and clutch.

Both are still fun to drive though.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by badtziscool
Actually, there is a distinction between Automatics with manual mode vs. an actual semi-auto gearbox like the SMG in the Bimmers and the paddle shifts in Ferraris.

The autos with manual shift mode like in the G or Acura TL, it's still an automatic transmission with clutch bands, torque converters, and valve bodies. Where as the SMG trannies and the ones in Ferraris, it's an actual manual gearbox with synchros, clutch forks. It's just that those things have servos and actuators that actually operates the shifter and clutch.

Both are still fun to drive though.
Agree completely, but as their technology evolves so does the thinking behind the engineering of the modern manu-matics. Infiniti has improved this transmission's manual mode twofold since its introduction - yes? It'll only keep getting better.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:01 AM
No, but the car only has about 550 on her. I'll run her around today (42 steady state) and see if I can duplicate. Honestly, compared to every car I've ever owned this is the smoothest auto I've ever seen. My biggest problem was getting used to having 5 gears. The quick shifting 1-2-3 was a little odd at first.
I have 13000 miles on iy and now it is happening every now and then, funky!

Old 03-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Agree completely, but as their technology evolves so does the thinking behind the engineering of the modern manu-matics. Infiniti has improved this transmission's manual mode twofold since its introduction - yes? It'll only keep getting better.

Yes, they are much better than before. Older auto trannys were pretty inefficient. Too much hp lost through driveline friction. Now, that's not the case. Now we have some autos that are almost as efficient as a manual gearbox.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Most of us use our manual-mode for running up through the gears - I have never used mine for braking the car - that could cause some added stress if done improperly....
I have to disagree with you. Running up through the gears is performed best in full auto mode. If you want control when cornering, you downshift. Downshifting a gear at a time would never put that much stress on the engine. I've never come anywhere near the redline when downshifting. (Plus the rev limiter is always there to watch your back).

Old 03-17-2005, 01:00 PM
"G" Spot
I'm not sure running full auto is best for acceleration..

I tested it many times and the tranny shifts at least 300 -400 rpm before I can in manual mode, and way before redline. That may not be alot of Hp all together, but being able to stay up higher in the rpm for the next shift is more beneficial.

For example...and this is in my car....

In full auto my car shifts before 60 mph from second into third...in MM I can hit past 60 in second allowing for better numbers.

Of course that is my car, and may not be the same in all.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a stack of slips showing an average of a full tenth of a second faster using the MM mode over 1/4 mile.
This may not sound like much, but it is at least a car length by the end of the track.

The converse is that the runs in "D" are unbelievably consistent, repeatable to the hundredth and sometimes the thousandth !!!

Old 03-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I was thinking more about daily driving than best 0-60 times. My car shifts pretty consitently at redline at WOT. I would need to practice A LOT (with my crappy reflexes) to try and beat my full auto time. I personlly don't feel like bouncing off the rev limiter to gain that elusive 1/10th second.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PotomacG
I was thinking more about daily driving than best 0-60 times. My car shifts pretty consitently at redline at WOT. I would need to practice A LOT (with my crappy reflexes) to try and beat my full auto time. I personlly don't feel like bouncing off the rev limiter to gain that elusive 1/10th second.

I know what you mean....bouncing even slightly off the limiter put me almost 2/10ths BEHIND full auto runs as opposed to ahead a tenth.

At the track, however, the difference between winning and losing is sometimes measured in thousandths of a second.

If you wanted to bracket-race, you could clean up just leaving it in "D". I've never driven a car this consistent from run-to-run before now.