G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Got th3 Coupe Midpipe installed :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got th3 Coupe Midpipe installed :)

Yes, another review. This obviously means that all you sedans that don't want a full out exhaust need to get one of these. Alright, so this was an uber-easy mod. Took around 15-20 minutes....because my dad has a body shop with a lift in it. Airtools+lift = heaven. I happened to use my old gasket although I would've liked to have used a new one. It's alright. I don't get any odd noises so it's alright, atleast for now. I'll put on a new one if there are any problems. Although for one time since my install (1.5 weeks) I got an odd metal-like raspy type sound for a few hard accels but nothing else after that. It is indeed a great mod.

You know the weight factor is definite plus but of course too difficult to feel. I feel that the less restrictive flow helped on the low end a bitttt. It feels like scooting along a bit more easily. Nothing huge though. For that one guy who had his midpipe done and thought there really wasn't a difference I'd have to say let it break in a bit and wait for warmer weather or let the car run for a few hours before listening to it. As with stock if the weather is warm or if the car has been running for several hours the stock exhaust would be a bit deeper compared to startup.

I in fact get a slightttt drone at 1-2k rpm. Typically cruising at 30-50 mph i think...my rpms stay pretty much at 1.5k rpm and I get a mild drone. I know some older people or sensitive people might be annoyed of it but I'm perfectly fine with it. I'd be a bit worried somewhat for rear passengers as it sounds a bit louder back there compared to the front, but no big worries. Just please understand this isn't a big issue drone and my experience may be different. This is not the rice-rocket like crappy exhaust drone no way.

I love this mod. I really want a coupe or Z sound but this will do just fine. I love driving near walls or inbetween buildings because it brings out the exhaust sound. I have a Z-tube and coupled together at WOT it sounds meatier and more Z-like if you please. Pretty nice and sporty IMO.

Ah forgot, I got mine local $60 pickup (thanks poptarts). Heh, wonderful wonderful price.

Hey cato, you find a midpipe yet?

Old 05-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A midpipe replaces the cat on the G35, correct? If so, are there any issues with passing state inspections where your car gets put on a dyno?

Regards

Old 05-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypher
A midpipe replaces the cat on the G35, correct? If so, are there any issues with passing state inspections where your car gets put on a dyno?

Regards
No it doesn't....
mid = after y-pipe & b4 muffler.
(cats are b4 y-pipe)

Old 05-13-2005, 10:00 AM
i think i will have mine next week and i got the fuji y-pipe with it too

Old 05-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Very nice review. As one of those older folks you mention () the drone is one that has concerned me the most with this mod. Originally I thought I would leave the sedan stock but after reading about this one so many times it has me thinking...

Glad you like it!

Old 05-13-2005, 03:04 PM
I've had my midpipe for a couple of weeks now and am still loving it.

I too have noticed a little drone around 2000 rpm when the engine is under load while cruising around or trying to accelerate slowly. The drone quickly goes away above 2000 rpm where my Stillen intake starts to draw attention.

I haven't noticed any differences in the way the car accelerates except for the improved sounds it makes while doing so. It sounds great when pulling away from a stop. Beyond that, it doesn't seem to sound any different than before.

I know there's a weight difference between the stock midpipe and the coupe midpipe but I doubt it's noticeable by the seat of the pants. After all, the amount of gas in the tank probably makes more of a difference.