G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Drove through a nice shower of rocks today : (

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Drove through a nice shower of rocks today : (

I've had my Black sedan for just under two weeks. On the way home today I came over a hill and some jacka$$ was on his riding mower next to the road and the mower was spitting grave and dirt into the road. I didn't have time to stop and heard what sounded like a pretty good shower of rocks hitting my G. The car is a bit dusty from the long gravel driveway that leads to my house so it's hard to tell how much damage, if any, there is. I'm planning to wash the car tomorrow and I'm hoping there are no marks, but I imagine there will be a few small chips. I know the guy didn't do it on purpose, but I'm still pissed....

Old 05-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i would be pissed too. there is a new cement company next to the school district that i work for and i am always driving behind the big trucks that carry the rock to the plant. you can just see it coming sometimes and there is nothing you can do.

Old 05-15-2005, 04:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Rock chips are inevitable. I have several in the paint and a dime sized star on my windshield.

Old 05-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just got back from a run to Lake Tahoe (from East Bay area, San Francisco), and washed the "G' in Tahoe before I left (after it snowed a couple days, etc.).

Man, even with a clear bra over most of the front air dam and up the hood past the top of the headlights, I still couldn't believ how many small chips I have further up the hood, and even on the windshield pillars (none on the windshield yet). Can only imagine what it would look like without the clearbra - probably at least one busted headlight, judging by the couple of deep nicks in the bra material covering them.

Badges of Honor, they are. That's what I consider them now, fellas.

Badges of Honor - War Wounds on a Road Warrior

Old 05-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarnes
Badges of Honor, they are. That's what I consider them now, fellas.

Badges of Honor - War Wounds on a Road Warrior
Good attitude and probably a great way to look at things.

Old 05-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by harley01
I've had my Black sedan for just under two weeks. On the way home today I came over a hill and some jacka$$ was on his riding mower next to the road and the mower was spitting grave and dirt into the road. I didn't have time to stop and heard what sounded like a pretty good shower of rocks hitting my G. The car is a bit dusty from the long gravel driveway that leads to my house so it's hard to tell how much damage, if any, there is. I'm planning to wash the car tomorrow and I'm hoping there are no marks, but I imagine there will be a few small chips. I know the guy didn't do it on purpose, but I'm still pissed....
If it was a lawn care company they have to get mandatory insurance for that. And if it was a home-owner at his own house, it's covered under his homeowner's insurance. I checked on it before. So if you have damage, head back there and deal with it. The individual will have to pay their deductible so don't expect them to cooperate to greatly, as that is going to be a horrible day in their book. You won't have to pay for anything since it's not your fault!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Guys,
This is all part of owning a nice car you care about .... chips and dings will happen if you drive it daily. Some of my friends drive their S only on sunny days and I drive mine daily even in winter ... life is short ... have as much fun as you can. Remember, it's only a car and will depreciate no matter how well you treat it.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by klwoods
If it was a lawn care company they have to get mandatory insurance for that. And if it was a home-owner at his own house, it's covered under his homeowner's insurance. I checked on it before. So if you have damage, head back there and deal with it. The individual will have to pay their deductible so don't expect them to cooperate to greatly, as that is going to be a horrible day in their book. You won't have to pay for anything since it's not your fault!
Good luck with this. Had a similar thing happen - contracted lawn care for the airfield put a rock THROUGH my windshield while I was parked at the hangar. Walked out of the office and found it in the front seat. Left work and went straight to legal, then to the contractor's office. His position was that I couldn't PROVE his mowers did the damage.

If you can't PROVE (and saying you noticed it right after you drove by his mower isn't proof - it's circumstantial supposition at best) he did it, you'll wind up in court with it being your word against his. Maybe the judge will see it your way, maybe not - small claims court is unpredictable.

Unless the guy has more money than sense and decides he wants to do the right thing, you may have a battle on your hands. Not worth it to me.

In my case I went round and round with the contractor and in the end he agreed to pay the deductable on MY car policy to have it replaced - basically he cut me a check for $100 and we called it good. I took it, it was the best I was going to get and to fight for anything more seemed a waste of my time. The legal weenies were surprised I got that much - it was like I had to have a witness or videotape or something. My a$$ was chapped.

War wounds indeed.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, good news for the most part. Just washed and applyed a couple coats of Zaino to the car and the damage is minimal. The hood has a couple thin streaks where it appears the rock etched the clear coat. The front bumper has a chip, but that concerns me less because it is in a less visable spot. I think if I used Z5 from Zaino I could pretty much buff it out. I'm pretty happy to find these were the only spots on the car that appear damaged. I agree w/ dbarnes...it's gonna happen sooner or later, but those first few scratched are tough to deal with. Does Inifiniti sell touch up paint? Any tips on how to repair small chips? Thanks everyone...it's nice to have somewhere to bitch without people looking at you like "damn, it's only a car".

Old 05-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Only a car? ONLY A CAR??!!??

Are you insane?

Old 05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Only a car? ONLY A CAR??!!??

Are you insane?

Just how I feel, GeeWillikers!

Harley01:

You're right - the car's only virgin once, and it hurts to see it "deflowered", however minor.

Reminds me of the time my 6 month old Bonneville SSE was broadsided in an intersection. My (friend since grammar school) body shop owner said "It's no big deal, it's not bent so once I replace parts and repaint, it'll be good as new".

But, my feelings were "It's like having a virgin daughter, who one day comes home and tells you she's no longer a virgin - you still love her with all your heart, but somehow, it's just not the same anymore".

Your "G" has lost it's innocence, and now carries a war wound to show for it !

Old 05-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just how I feel, GeeWillikers!

Harley01:

You're right - the car's only virgin once, and it hurts to see it "deflowered", however minor.

Reminds me of the time my 6 month old Bonneville SSE was broadsided in an intersection. My (friend since grammar school) body shop owner said "It's no big deal, it's not bent so once I replace parts and repaint, it'll be good as new".

But, my feelings were "It's like having a virgin daughter, who one day comes home and tells you she's no longer a virgin - you still love her with all your heart, but somehow, it's just not the same anymore".

Your "G" has lost it's innocence, and now carries a war wound to show for it !

haha good one.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
It's like having a virgin daughter, who one day comes home and tells you she's no longer a virgin - you still love her with all your heart, but somehow, it's just not the same anymore.
I did what I had to do. Sorry man.