G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Another new member (and new G35 owner)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another new member (and new G35 owner)

Howdy, after browsing the forums here and finding lots of great information I decided to register and introduce myself. I just purchased a desert platinum 2003.5 sedan over the past weekend, and man I have to say I'm in love with this car.

I've never been much of a car person in the past, in fact I've been driving a POS chevy cavalier that I purchased just after college for the past 5 years (I let my wife get a new SUV first to score some points ). But the G35 has changed all that now, it's just so much fun to drive (and I haven't even had a chance to really put it through its paces yet, still eagerly awating 1200 miles).

I haven't really kept up with autos much over the last few years, so the G35 wasn't even on my radar when I first started researching my new car purchase. I was originally leaning towards the new 04 Maxima, which seems to be a fairly nice car (though I'm not sure about that front grill). But in reading some of the reviews on the Maxima I saw the G35 come up more than once, so I decided to look into it. I was quite surprised that you can get a G35 with the luxury/feel of an infinity, RWD, better handling and better looks, all for about $1-2K more than a Maxima. To me it seemed like a no-brainer, so I went for a test drive and fell in love. I didn't even bother going to test-drive the Maxima, my mind was made up.

As I said earlier I got a Desert Platinum 2003.5 Automatic with Willow Leather, Premium Option package, Navigtation system, window tint, wheel locks, truck mat and splash guards. Sticker price was about $36K, I got them to come down to just over $34K. I decided to go with a lease, I did a 42 month 15K miles/year lease with 53% residual and .0025 money rate (down from their standard .0031). Walk-out money was about $1,250 with no trade-in and my payments are $565, which I can live with.

Note to other potential leasors, Infiniti will quote you the money rate as a whole number, ie instead of saying it's a "money rate of .0031", they'll say "the rate is 3.1". I think they do this because if you don't know any better and assume that's an APR, you'll think you're getting a much better deal than you think you are. (.0031 money rate is 7.44% APR, not such a great deal in today's market). Luckily I had done some research on leasing, and when it was clear to them that I knew what was going on they were quickly willing to come down on the money rate.

Since it's a lease vehicle, mods aren't really an option, and to be truthful I think the stock sedan has plenty of performance for me, so I see no need to go that route. I may look into getting the black trim along the bottom painted to match the body, depending on whether my lease will allow that without having to pay a penalty at the end. I was seriously tempted to get the 6MT; I miss having a standard in some ways but it's just not practical driving to work every day in Houston traffic (I live in NW Houston and work in the Galleria area).

Anyway, just wanted to share my G35 buying experience and say thanks for providing this excellent forum, I have a feeling I'll be visiting frequently to try and soak up all the valuable information here.

Jeff Kohn
H-Town, TX
2003.5 Automatic Sedan, Desert Bronze/Willow, Premium, Nav, Tint

Old 06-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Re: Another new member (and new G35 owner)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride! This is definitely a good place to discuss all sorts of topics with many people sharing ideas and opinions. Check out the Regional Forums and you will probably find a meet happening in your area.

Drive safe, have fun, kick butt when necessary
<font color=green>'03 Emerald Mist</font color=green>
Premium/Sport/Xenon

Old 06-04-2003, 02:34 PM
IQ9

Welcome and hope you enjoy your G as much as the rest of us do. They get better with time.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 06-04-2003, 06:21 PM

Welcome! Always great to have new member. You'll enjoy this forum. I know I sure do.

Old 06-04-2003, 08:39 PM

You made a great choice with G35 ! Welcome to the club !

Old 06-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club! Congrats on your new G, you will grow to like the car even more as time goes by!

Since you live in Houston, you have the same two problems we have here in Florida... sun and heat. Believe me.... adding a tint will be invaluable to you over the 3 1/2 years you will have the G, and it's not prohibitively expensive maybe $150 more or less. There is no penalty for tint on your lease, in fact it adds to the value of the car. It makes a big difference, in comfort and style, definitely worth it.

Here's my DP sedan...

03 G35
02 Sequoia

Old 06-04-2003, 10:34 PM

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

chinee, my G35 came with tint from the dealer. In fact, it was listed without tint or wheel locks on the inventory sheet, and we had already agreed on a price and were filling out the paperwork when the guy found out that the car was just finishing processing and that it had tint and wheel locks added as a dealer option. So they added $200 to our agreed upon price to cover it, which sounded like an OK deal to me. I'm not exactly a hard-nosed bargainer, so I didn't try to push my luck by saying no to the additional charge. They knew I wanted the car, it was the only one that had the colors and features I wanted.

Speaking of heat, I originally was supposed to get a car without the Nav system (which I didn't particularly want), but it turned out that the one the dealer was trying to sell me had black interior leather, which IMHO is nice-looking but just way too impractical in the Texas heat. So I ended up going with the willow interior and the nav system. Which turned out fine in the end, because I think that's going to turn out to be a pretty cool toy.

Jeff Kohn
H-Town, TX

Old 06-04-2003, 10:35 PM

welcome to the forum.. and congrats on the new car! you chose wisely, my friend.

perhaps i'll see you around town since i'm in houston too. the only other G's i've seen were either dp or ivory. maybe one of the dp's were u..

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 06-05-2003, 12:47 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

perhaps i'll see you around town since i'm in houston too. the only other G's i've seen were either dp or ivory. maybe one of the dp's were u..

<hr></blockquote>I find it surprising that I haven't seen very many of them around town in Houston given what a big win the G35 has been for Infiniti. I've only seen 3 since I started looking: a twilight blue sedan, a brilliant silver sedan, and a coupe that was either desert plat or brilliant silver (couldn't tell from a distance). Of course I'm not really complaining, I'm glad I have a somewhat distinctive car as opposed to being one of the thousands and thousands of BMW 3 series on the road. You can't throw a rock without hitting a 3 in Houston.

While I've got the attention of a few fellow Houstonites, did anybody get one of the 3M clear bra's installed, and if so where and how much was it? Same question for painting, anybody get the black along the bottom painted to match the rest of the body?

Regards,

Jeff Kohn
H-Town, TX

Old 06-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Speaking of heat...

<hr></blockquote>

...I grew up in South Texas (Corpus Christi). I had a HeatShield for my car, the Honda dealership there stocked these HeatShields. My Infiniti dealer here in San Diego stocks them too, but I haven't seen the G35 ones in stock, just QX4's and I35's mainly. If your local Infiniti dealer doesn't stock them, you can order direct from the company.

One of these combined with window tinting, and you can actually get the car started and get the A/C blowing cold on a sweltering late-summer day before the sweat starts pouring off your forehead.

http://info.canvasworks.com/ahs1.html
(The website seems to be down at the moment. If it doesn't come up in a day or too, and your dealership doesn't carry them, let me know, I think there's an 800# on the tag on mine.)

BTW, I generally agree with the willow v. graphite in the heat argument. However, I just did not like the way the titanium-colored trim looked in the willow interior. What I really wanted was a medium gray, but that's not an option. So, graphite it is for me. As long as I remember to use the shield on the sunny days, the graphite leather isn't a problem, and even when I forget, the A/C on this car works 10 times faster than the old Accord it replaced.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 06-05-2003, 07:49 AM

yessir i did..

Old 06-05-2003, 07:51 AM

jkohn,

i saw the clear bra at my dealership when i was checking out there fx45's but i'm not sure if anyone with a G has one yet.. not that i've been able to look up close to one... houston's pretty widespread, so i can see how seeing a G can be very rare.. i tend to see more coupes now than sedans.. which makes a lot of sense when i go by the dealer and see dozens of the sedans just sitting there.. you can probably get an incredible deal on those right now.

ryoken,

what exactly is this "heat shield"?

Old 06-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jkohn,
yes we all like our cars alot. (I have put 8100 miles on in 32 days of ownership). I love it, cept for my notchy tranny which infiniti will fix.

Better Life thru Chemistry

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another new member (and new G35 owner)