G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Wiper chatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Replaced every 6 months? You kidding me. On my accord, I've used the same blades for at least 1 1/2 years (I don't drive that much) and it still doesn't chatter. There's a TSB for 2003.5 model for this issue. Just waiting for a TSB for a 2005 I guess.
I agree, I have always gotten at least two years out of factory blades, still had the originals on my '04 when I traded it, no chatter at all. Now, my experience with some cheaper aftermarket blades has been 6 months or so.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Argentni,

Did you ever resolve your wiper chatter issue? I am getting this problem now. Today it was pouring and if I set the wipers at the fastest speed it's fine. As soon as the rain slows a bit and I set the wipers at a slower pace, it chatters/skips. If I pump the windshield fluids out then it's fine for a few seconds. I can't believe Infiniti has so many little issues.
Well, I bought new wipers (bosch), cleaned the windshield 3 times with Stoner Invisible Glass and MicroFiber cloths and tweaked the wiper arms.

It was good for a few days, but now the shudder is back.

Between the wipers, the rattles, and the vibrations in the steering I will be trading this car in as soon as I make the 12th lease payment.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Argetni
Well, I bought new wipers (bosch), cleaned the windshield 3 times with Stoner Invisible Glass and MicroFiber cloths and tweaked the wiper arms.

It was good for a few days, but now the shudder is back.

Between the wipers, the rattles, and the vibrations in the steering I will be trading this car in as soon as I make the 12th lease payment.
Any luck with the chatter problem? Today it was raining here and the chattering was HORRIBLE. I used rainx, it last for a few minutes. I bought a new blade, same problem. It's only the driver side wiper that is chattering.

Anyone with 05's with this issue that was resolved? I plan to set an appointment for the console rattle issue on the new TSB and will mentioned to them about the wiper chatter issue. It's driving me nuts.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Chattering problem was solved simply entirely by putting a SHORTER blade on driver's side. As I recall, originally calls for a 22".....I replaced with either a 19" or 20" without sacraficing any of the visual field. Was obviously an engineering problem from day one. I'd stay away from Rain-X or "tweaking" i.e. bending original blade/arm to make tighter contact. It just ain't gonna happen.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by ronald1100
Chattering problem was solved simply entirely by putting a SHORTER blade on driver's side. As I recall, originally calls for a 22".....I replaced with either a 19" or 20" without sacraficing any of the visual field. Was obviously an engineering problem from day one. I'd stay away from Rain-X or "tweaking" i.e. bending original blade/arm to make tighter contact. It just ain't gonna happen.
You kidding meeeeeeeeeee. If that's the case I would definitely try it. Do you have an 05? You are using 19 or 20?

Old 10-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Just checked...driver's side 19" ... '04 35X

Old 10-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Just checked...driver's side 19" ... '04 35X
Sorry to be a pain, any specific brand you bought? My honda's passenger side I believed is 19, maybe I should take that out and put it on my G tommorrow and give it a shot.

How you figured this thing out???????????? I can't wait to try it. Hopefully it'll still rain tommorrow.

Did you had the same chattering issue before?

Old 10-09-2005, 12:15 AM
You can invest in more costly blabes such as Bosch Micro etc but i recall i used a silicone rubber blade labeled from Michelin purchased at...of all places....Target!!
My conclusions came about by very careful observation of the blade in motion as well as stopping it (with ignition key) at various places in its excursion...became obvious that the ends of the blade were not in contact with windshield but extended nearly to the top of the frame of the windshield. Totally overdone as far as blade length....
Shortening the blade was just an obvious solution.
I use Invisible Glass on windshield for routing cleaning and be sure to wipe across the blabe itself...I use a gauze pad with the window cleaner...they seem to be just slightly more effective on the blade.
I am a surgeon so having gauze pads around is a given!!
Also, I use P21S windshield additive to Prestone's windshield products.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:29 AM
You can invest in more costly blabes such as Bosch Micro etc but i recall i used a silicone rubber blade labeled from Michelin purchased at...of all places....Target!!
My conclusions came about by very careful observation of the blade in motion as well as stopping it (with ignition key) at various places in its excursion...became obvious that the ends of the blade were not in contact with windshield but extended nearly to the top of the frame of the windshield. Totally overdone as far as blade length....
Shortening the blade was just an obvious solution.
I use Invisible Glass on windshield for routing cleaning and be sure to wipe across the blabe itself...I use a gauze pad with the window cleaner...they seem to be just slightly more effective on the blade.
I am a surgeon so having gauze pads around is a given!!
Also, I use P21S windshield additive to Prestone's windshield products.
Alrite, sounds like a plan. I'll try a 19 tommorrow. I don't really like spending too much for a wiper. It doesn't always rain and it's just to wipe the windshield. My accord has been running $4 blades for a year and it's still fine. I never ever add any of those windshield treatment for my accord and it never ever chatter once. Half way through my day, I ended up driving my G back home just to take out my 13 yr old accord because the chattering was unbearable.

I noticed the end of the wiper was hopping, which is similar to what you just described. Do you think the 19 wiper would solve the issue WITHOUT any of those windshield additive, etc? I just don't like the idea of having to clean the windshield for a wiper to work properly. I mean I clean it and wash it when I wash my car.

Thanks a million if this can save me a trip to the dealers.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we just trim an inch or so at the end of the contact point of the driver's side wiper blade?

Old 10-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by ekwc
Can we just trim an inch or so at the end of the contact point of the driver's side wiper blade?
Don't think so. When you trim out a portion of the blade, the metal part that holds that 3 inches of blade might end up gliding on the windshield. That plus the blade might be hanging loose at one end.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I had the same exact problem. I brought the car into the dealer and they replaced the whole wiper arm under warranty. Works like a dream now.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:34 PM
One further thing - the service guys at the dealer say they see this problem fairly frequently, so if your car is still under warranty don't hesitate to ask for a new wiper arm instead of trying a fix yourself.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine also chattered. I replace the two wipers with PIAA silicone blades. No Chatter. I've used them before. They are the greatest, a little expensive but they last at least two years here in the Northeast, so the net price is about average. I went with the stock lengths and my ride is an 05 G35X. Good Luck.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Hmm...today I bought a 19inch driver side blade (brand is Anco). It didn't rain today but it didn't chatter when I sprayed it with the windshield water fluids. But I can still see the blade not gliding smoothly (it still trys to hop/vibrate) but didn't produce chatter. It'll probably rain tommorrow so we'll see. Another thing is with 3 inches shorter blade, there's a little triangle shape on the bottom middle that it misses.

The thing with replacing the wiper arm is a good idea but it seems like when I bring my car in (without an issued TSB), they tend to just look at it and give it back to you and said it's fine.

I saw the PIAA silicone blades too but at $15 bucks a pop, it's too pricey I think.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wiper chatter