G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Wiper chatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I mentioned to the service advisor that I've never had such a problem on past cars. He didn't say anything. So, I was reading up on Bon Ami, and found some interesting links. Happens that BMW actually recommended it in one of their TSBs about 10-11 years ago. I like that the G35 competes with BMW on performance, not poor quality windshields or poor wiper design.

http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bonami.html

It sucks that we have to take these extra steps to have smooth wipers. I agree, this is a design flaw.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For all you guys that have the wiper chattering issue, is it JUST the driver side blade?

Old 10-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Dearler did the same thing

Originally Posted by fieldsie
I had the same exact problem. I brought the car into the dealer and they replaced the whole wiper arm under warranty. Works like a dream now.
My dealer changed the arms twice, did not work.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anyone try to adjust the spring that holds down the wiper's arm? It could be too tight, so the wiper was applying too much pressure to the windshield.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
For all you guys that have the wiper chattering issue, is it JUST the driver side blade?
Funny, I just noticed mine did it today, and yes, it was just the drivers side, but you know, my '04 did it when it was new too, went away after replacing the windshield, maybe there is something on the glass? ekwc, where is the spring?

Old 10-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift the wiper's arm, and look at the back side of the metal part. You will see the spring there.
It is only my theory about the spring, because I didn’t have the chatter problem in the summer time. It might be the cooler temperature now that increases the tension of the spring, since metal contrast in a cooler temperature. Also, the rubber part might not be as flexible too.
There is not screw to adjust the tension of the spring in wiper’s arm, but I am pretty sure someone in this forum can figure it out how to adjust it

Old 10-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Yes, driver's side.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Ok...I am back from dealer...here it goes...

I dropped car off this morning for two issues
1) tsb on the console/clock/vent rattle
2) wiper chattering (already told them I swapped the blades but no luck)

They called me back today and said the tsb on the rattles have been fixed and said the wipers are fine when there are waters on it but skips when dry. Also, said they were going to adjust the wiper arm but will not replace it. I told them yes, it's worst when it's drizzling and the wiper chatters all over. Then the guy claims it's taken care of. I knew that sounded fishy. I didn't want to wait up early again to pick up car so I decided to pick it up after work (they are open till 9pm).

On my way home, I noticed there are still a little rattle noise (seems like the console rattle is very minimal now but seems like the clock area has a little more rattle). You can never win but overall the rattle noise decrease a bit so it's alrite.

Now onto the wipers. NO LUCK. On the invoice they gave me back and it said "Clean wiper blade note will only chatter when glass is extremely dry!! Does not chatter when wet".

Obviously it wasn't fixed and I am back to the 19inch blade for now. Probably need to get the $15 PIAA blades now.

Basically it was time wasted but rattles seems to be less now, plus I get to tear the crappy i35 chirp chirp tires on the way back to the dealer. Also, a free car wash (yeah...I know I have black/black but the dealers seem to do a decent job and didn't really notice the swirls got any worst on the last car wash...so what the heck... )

I am sure they'll have the wiper tsb sooner or later and I'll be the first to bring it back.

One more thing, I noticed when they pop open the console area, they probably didn't use any cloth to protect it, thus I see on both side a little chip on the alumnium. But it's very minimal and it's all the way on the bottle so it's alrite.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:56 PM

They called me back today and said the tsb on the rattles have been fixed and said the wipers are fine when there are waters on it but skips when dry. Also, said they were going to adjust the wiper arm but will not replace it. I told them yes, it's worst when it's drizzling and the wiper chatters all over. Then the guy claims it's taken care of. I knew that sounded fishy. I didn't want to wait up early again to pick up car so I decided to pick it up after work (they are open till 9pm).

On my way home, I noticed there are still a little rattle noise (seems like the console rattle is very minimal now but seems like the clock area has a little more rattle). You can never win but overall the rattle noise decrease a bit so it's alrite.

Now onto the wipers. NO LUCK. On the invoice they gave me back and it said "Clean wiper blade note will only chatter when glass is extremely dry!! Does not chatter when wet".

Obviously it wasn't fixed and I am back to the 19inch blade for now. Probably need to get the $15 PIAA blades now.

Basically it was time wasted but rattles seems to be less now, plus I get to tear the crappy i35 chirp chirp tires on the way back to the dealer. Also, a free car wash (yeah...I know I have black/black but the dealers seem to do a decent job and didn't really notice the swirls got any worst on the last car wash...so what the heck... )

I am sure they'll have the wiper tsb sooner or later and I'll be the first to bring it back.

One more thing, I noticed when they pop open the console area, they probably didn't use any cloth to protect it, thus I see on both side a little chip on the alumnium. But it's very minimal and it's all the way on the bottle so it's alrite.
Thanks for the update. Glad your rattles are less audible. But, I tell you...I can't believe the stupidness the dealers are saying about the wipers. Do they really assume that you are complaining about chattering when there isn't water on the windshield? That's incredible that they would even say something like that! Well, at least that's another complaint....I'm also hoping that enough of us complain that they do come out with a TSB.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

After 2 months of biatching, that's it. You did not demand they fix it.....

Old 10-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by 2c5s
After 2 months of biatching, that's it. You did not demand they fix it.....
Well, I already complained just like when I took in my car for the gas filling issue and the console squeak issue (prior to the issuing of the TSB). They would just look at it, tried something and said it's fine. I can't be wasting anymore time on it. Unfortuntely, I would just have to wait for the TSB I think. On top of that I picked up my car after hours when all the service consultants were gone already. There is no one there but a receptionist that handed me the keys.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:40 PM
I noticed that mine is chattering more and more now to. I think it is on the driver side only but not sure.

A while ago I had a truck and put rainx on it. The wipers were hopping all over the place. The dealer told me that becuse of the steep angle of the winshield rainx and the wipers didn't mix. They told me to use toothpaste to clean the rainx off and put a fresh pair of OEM wiper blades on it. Never had a problem with it after that, but stayed away from rainx.

Now back to my G. I put rainx on it twice but didn't notice the hopping after the first application. 2nd application was about a month ago and now that the rainx is wearing off, more chatter.

I am curious to know if you guys that don't have a problem use rainx or not. For those that do have a problem, have you ever used rainx?

The dealer told me that once you used rainx it will stick to the blades and to completly be free of it you must clean the winshield and replace the blades.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
jackal,
I still think it's something on the glass, I'm sure they put something on the glass to protect it during shipping, and your rain-x post makes me wonder even more, like I ststed in an earlier post, on my '04, I had this to some extent, until I had to replace my windshield, not quite 3 months old, the wipers were fine after that. The blades are so light, any slight "grab" on the glass surface could create this, why only the driver side, could be the angle is just different enough, are the blades the same size? I'm going to clean my windshield with alcohol and see if that helps any.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:29 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
jackal,
I still think it's something on the glass, I'm sure they put something on the glass to protect it during shipping, and your rain-x post makes me wonder even more, like I ststed in an earlier post, on my '04, I had this to some extent, until I had to replace my windshield, not quite 3 months old, the wipers were fine after that. The blades are so light, any slight "grab" on the glass surface could create this, why only the driver side, could be the angle is just different enough, are the blades the same size? I'm going to clean my windshield with alcohol and see if that helps any.
I agree Tom. forgot to mention b4 about the windshield chatter I've had on my Sedan and Coupe.
I just cleaned it real well with vinegar and water a couple times and -- voila....no more chatter.
I figured it was some residue from shipping, or wax that got spilled/applied to the glass, or some other goop.
The key is getting the glass clean tho.
G/L
C.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:04 PM
I agree that it is probably something on the windshield. Mine skipped and chattered like crazy when I first got it. If it wasn`t a 45 minute drive to the dealer, I would have taken it back. Instead, I washed with vinegar, then used Stoner`s Invisible Glass on it. Viola! No more chatter. Haven`t had it since, which reinforces the belief that there was something put on the glass, maybe for shipping.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wiper chatter