G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Does the Inside Temperature Number Mean Anything?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the Inside Temperature Number Mean Anything?

Okay, I understand the outside temperature displayed on the dash reflects the temperature outside, but what does the inside temperature number reflect. I seriously doubt it reflects the temperature in the car. Basically the inside temp. number reflects fan speed in my humblest of opinions. I say this because I recently took an extended drive to Chicago. When I started the drive the temp outside was a scorching 89º. I had the inside temp set at "auto economy" and "72º," so naturally the fan and air came on hard. After about 30 minutes of driving the outside temp remained about the same give or take a couple degrees, but the air conditioning was still blasting! The car had easily cooled below the set "72º." After an hour of driving nothing changed. I think either the temperature number reflects fan speed or the air and heating work off the outside temperature NOT the current inside temperature (which would make much more sense).

Thoughts?

Old 06-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a thermostat setting. I think it's off, though. I keep mine on 76-77, and it gets cold even with outside temps of 92-94. At 72 as I had it in my last car, it never stops blowing hard, just like yours.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 PM
I have noticed that in both of our Gs. It is weird. I ended up just going to manual ac for a while.... I will try the 76-77 degree idea.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:07 PM
I gotta say this seems like a pretty CHEAP way for Infiniti to have done their so-called automatic climate control. In a 2000 Toyota Solara I owned when the temperature in the car reached the temperature I set the control for the fan automatically slowed down and a mixture of heat/cool air kept the car at the temp I set it to. I own a 2004 G; is it the same set-up on the 05 models?

Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by fotodad
I gotta say this seems like a pretty CHEAP way for Infiniti to have done their so-called automatic climate control. In a 2000 Toyota Solara I owned when the temperature in the car reached the temperature I set the control for the fan automatically slowed down and a mixture of heat/cool air kept the car at the temp I set it to. I own a 2004 G; is it the same set-up on the 05 models?
Ours is pretty much on temp. I wouldn't say that it is perfect but it does react continually to the temp in the car. I always thought that the temp was supposed to be the temp the car made the air coming in but that is just my own assumption and we know where that gets you. Have you had it checked out by the dealer?

Old 06-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by trey's wife
Ours is pretty much on temp. I wouldn't say that it is perfect but it does react continually to the temp in the car. I always thought that the temp was supposed to be the temp the car made the air coming in but that is just my own assumption and we know where that gets you. Have you had it checked out by the dealer?
That's what I thought too and I assume it's correct? I always run the A/C on the coldest temp (60) on hot days... But that is pretty much everyday since I'm in Southern California

Old 06-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same thing in mine, I too have been using the manual more on a/c, but you know, even all the rented cars I have had, mostly GM's, have been the same, I'm not really a big fan of the auto setting for a/c from my experience.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Mine seems to work as advertised, but if I'm cool and the fan isn't blowing the remainder of my hair out I'm generally satisfied and not really paying much attention.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually set it to on 70 Degrees here in SoCal. seems to be fine, it stays on high until the temp drops, and then the fan speed will drop. I do think there is an internal thermometer. I'm not sure though.

On the hottest days i set it to 65 then turn it up to 70 when the gtemp is adequete

I wish they had a celcius setting!

Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 PM
My 05 works exactly as I would expect, in both auto and manual modes and does a good job of moderating the inside temperature of the car.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Hmmm, sounds like mine might not be working properly. Once I set it at say 72º on a hot day it just blasts the cold air out until I get where I'm going until I move the setting to 74º or 76º. Otherwise I freeze my ash off.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:30 AM
It's Lonely At The Bottom
Arrow

Originally Posted by fotodad

That's right, I too had a 2000 Toyota Solara and I think that one worked great! As it got cooler inside, the fan speed decreased and will increase if reached above the specified temperature.

I have never tried auto economy yet on the G35, but will one of these days. Simply do not like having air coming out full blast, it's annoying!

Old 06-29-2005, 09:14 AM
I was an HVAC contractor for many years and have seen folks driven nuts trying to outthink the heating/cooling system. My suggestion would be for you to set the system on automatic A/C and set both sides at 75 (for starters). You can fine tune the settings later on.
Then just sit back and let the system do its thing. Playing with it only defeats what the Infiniti engineers have built in. Setting the thermostat to its lowest temp will not cool your car any faster. If there is something wrong with your car, have the dealer fix it.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Streaker, I couldn't agree more. I'm an electrical engineer with an emphasis in control systems and it just cracks me up how people fiddle with systems that are meant to be set and left alone.

One poster above claims that he sets it to 72 when he gets in the car and it blasts cold air, but then he has to turn it down to 74-75 otherwise "he'll freeze". Well, then just set it at 74-75 and leave it alone. If you want to run the system on auto, you need to find the temp that is comfortable for you and leave it. Keep in mind that the greater the temperature difference you are trying to create (outside air vs inside setting) the more aggressive the system will be, i.e. high fan speeds etc....

Please, trust the engineers and see what happens

Old 06-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Question AUTO ECON mode

Same here. I set it to Auto ECON mode with 72-75 setting and the fan blows at full speed for some time till the temperature is appropriate and later the fan slows down automatically and maintains the temperature in the car perfectly.

Although I noticed a different issue with my AC system. When i set it to AUTO ECON mode the air circulation is internal for few minutes and then it switches to external air. I cannot have the system set to AUTO ECON mode and restrict the air to internal flow??? Has anyone done this, why is this not allowed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does the Inside Temperature Number Mean Anything?