G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Navigation System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation System

Any one have any comments about the navigation system for the g35?
Good/Bad? I have a friend who just bought a Acura TL and keeps raving about how great their navigation system is. How about the g35?
Thanks
Charoot

Old 07-22-2005, 09:34 PM
the g's navi are ok, but i acura's alot better

Old 07-22-2005, 09:42 PM
I think I read or heard on TV that the new RL's NAVI's have traffic and weather updating availabe. That would be a killer NAV.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:52 PM
G35's NAV is just that, a basic NAV system. Not only it does not accept voice commands, it does not even have touch screen programming capability (unlike the TL's NAV) which makes it harder to work with, and it does not allow one to program the NAV while driving (although there are mods available to fix this). It also does not play DVDs (again, with some effort and additional components, one can modify the factory NAV to play DVDs, but it does take a lot of efforts). So, I don't recommend it. I've only used mine once or twice in the last 4-5 months that I've owned my car. For $2000 which is what Infiniti charges for this, you can get a very capable, advanced after market GPS system, and one that is portable and you can move it between cars and take it on your trips.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:02 PM
yeah, big waste of money I think. $2000 I spent and I know I'll use it once or twice a year. Some people rave about it and use it all the time - maybe cause they have no idea where they are going? I have no idea. The "wow" factor wore off after about 3 seconds.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by netwireless
For $2000 which is what Infiniti charges for this, you can get a very capable, advanced after market GPS system, and one that is portable and you can move it between cars and take it on your trips.
While very true, this is what I initially planned to do. But nothing fits just perfect like the stock Navigation unit, which I now wish I got. Only thing I would probably want to do is go with the DD dash if I went aftermarket, which looks pricey.

I dont know.. I have NAVI on my other car and my SUV and to tell you the truth, I leave it on all the time. I LOVE being able to anticipate where every single turn is coming up, being able to see each street name I am looking for without having to come close and slow down and miss it, and its cool. I began to rely upon that after driving them for a while, just looking at it and seeing what streets are coming up, and what the road is like. Maybe its just me and my style, but after going into my G without nav, it just felt weird. I'm fine without it, but I do wish I would have got it if I could do it over again.

Last edited by heeb; 07-22-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:26 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Love my Navi , well worth it to me.
C.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by netwireless
G35's NAV is just that, a basic NAV system. Not only it does not accept voice commands, it does not even have touch screen programming capability (unlike the TL's NAV) which makes it harder to work with, and it does not allow one to program the NAV while driving (although there are mods available to fix this). It also does not play DVDs (again, with some effort and additional components, one can modify the factory NAV to play DVDs, but it does take a lot of efforts). So, I don't recommend it. I've only used mine once or twice in the last 4-5 months that I've owned my car. For $2000 which is what Infiniti charges for this, you can get a very capable, advanced after market GPS system, and one that is portable and you can move it between cars and take it on your trips.
I personally do not think it's worth 2,000 bucks, thus I ended up spending about $500 or so on a Dell Axim along with a bluetooth GPS. Works flawless, mounts on the vents and I can use it for any cars as well as rental cars. Not counting you can upgrade the softwares much easier on the portable PDA's.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Love mine. If it's not a "big expense" as an add-on, grab it.

G

Old 07-23-2005, 09:54 AM
I got it and don't regret it. That said the G navigation unit software is far from perfect. There are just too many errors in the software, idiotic route designs i.e instead of making a left onto my street the unit takes me in a circle to get to my street, and the updates leave a lot to be desired. If you are totally lost in an unfamiliar area, the nav will get you to your destination. However, if you kinda know the area and program in a destination just for the fun of it you will see the small imperfections of the programming. And there are a few major errors on the NJ turnpike that I had noted. I am not sure if these problems are the nature of the beast or just Infiniti's software distributors issues.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:19 PM
I love my Navi too worth the money for me and I'm happy
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
Love my Navi , well worth it to me.
C.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the navi to me is just..ehhh..ok.. just for kicks i'll turn it on even if i know where i'm going, and sometimes it'll take me on some of the longest routes.

i plan on finally buying the updated software this year though

that said though, it is OEM and does have a couple of cool features like fuel consumption averages, reminds you to change your oil, and if a door is ajar..etc.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
This navi does exactly what it should, in all honesty. Nothing less, nothing more.

As much as I love the way our FX's tech package integrates everything, I kind of prefer the simplicity and the ability to stow it when I feel like it.

G

Old 07-25-2005, 04:13 AM
Banned
the navigation systems on all cars are ment to take you from point A to B using large city streets that are easy to find. they dont take you the shortest route, but it takes you on the way ; that are major street or roads because they are easier to follow even though it may take you the long way, but it will get you there i dont even you my navi around town, but it sure comes in handy when i am away from town and other wise lost.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by bert039
the navi to me is just..ehhh..ok.. just for kicks i'll turn it on even if i know where i'm going, and sometimes it'll take me on some of the longest routes.

i plan on finally buying the updated software this year though

that said though, it is OEM and does have a couple of cool features like fuel consumption averages, reminds you to change your oil, and if a door is ajar..etc.
Please tell me more about the updated software as I have an 05 which was built in Feb. 05 which IMHO has software which needs updating. In fact I think the software on my navi is either the result of sloppy programming or is just the nature of the beast-can't decide which. Hopefully an update will make it more palatable. So what is the story with the new update.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation System