G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Honestly, whose gone sideways?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, whose gone sideways?

Now that the car is finally broken in I love letting the tail hang out on a corner by my house. This is an undeveloped portion of land with nothing obscuring my view around the corner, so no one is in danger. I LOVE the fact that my car handles like this...and it's a sedan! Who else loves a little tailsliding now and again?

Old 08-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Staff Alumni
It is a lot of fun, isn't it. My next suggestion is to track down your local SCCA chapter and go do an autocross. Lots of opportunities to wag that tail there...

Old 08-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey whats the best way to do this safely? kick the tail out i mean

Old 08-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very very rarely I may miss a cone autocrossing (who am I kidding my class might as well be DNF) and it becomes a smokey, *** out, side ways fest. I tend to use the clutch and feather the throttle to keep it out. I am sure there is some tech term for that, But I am not that cool.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:12 PM
That's a good intersection to have near the house. Damn these 18" tires ... they stick like glue on dry pavement! Too bad it won't be raining in SoCal for another several months

Old 08-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Guilty. Closed runway & taxiway. Probably reduced tire life 10% in under an hour.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:02 PM
wait, sorry, how can i do this safely in an Auto?

Old 08-09-2005, 05:04 PM
the car gets the **** out nicely but controlling the booty is another story

Old 08-09-2005, 05:49 PM
6spd with VDC off = Fun!

Old 08-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Took mine to an industrial area on a rainy sunday -- wide streets and no traffic. It's amazing how well the car can be brought under control by throttle.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:42 AM
I too enjoy a little tail sliding...

How To:
Mine is an automatic (i know i know) so for me, i switch the DVC off, and go to manual mode, in 1st or 2nd, while starting to enter a corner, I wrap up the throttle and give it a good hard turn in, once the RPMs start to go up quickly you know your already sliding, and I turn back out of the turn and hold it til the tires burn off. Normally, I can get a 4-6 second slide and its under full control. Takes a little practice, but once you get the "feel" for the car, you can pick up the speeds and power slide the **** out of the thing.

From my experience and driving style, once the tail stops going out any further, and slowly steer back towards center and the car generally (and I do mena GENERALLY) will return back to straight with only a slight wiggle. Be careful though, if you hold it too long, she will bite back and flip around to the other side... can happen quickly too. Just practive somewhere before you get the bright idea to do this around other people.

Not my recommendation by the way, but if your going to do it, do it with style!

Old 08-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by joes954rr
I too enjoy a little tail sliding...

How To:
Mine is an automatic (i know i know) so for me, i switch the DVC off, and go to manual mode, in 1st or 2nd, while starting to enter a corner, I wrap up the throttle and give it a good hard turn in, once the RPMs start to go up quickly you know your already sliding, and I turn back out of the turn and hold it til the tires burn off. Normally, I can get a 4-6 second slide and its under full control. Takes a little practice, but once you get the "feel" for the car, you can pick up the speeds and power slide the **** out of the thing.

From my experience and driving style, once the tail stops going out any further, and slowly steer back towards center and the car generally (and I do mena GENERALLY) will return back to straight with only a slight wiggle. Be careful though, if you hold it too long, she will bite back and flip around to the other side... can happen quickly too. Just practive somewhere before you get the bright idea to do this around other people.

Not my recommendation by the way, but if your going to do it, do it with style!

+1

I also have the 5AT. I went into the corner with moderate speed in second, gave her some turn-in and some gas and the tail came right out. Agree, 4 -6 seconds is very easy to obtain. Longer too, if you can laugh your a$s off, whoop, AND steer all at the same time.

I have the base 17" wheels with RS-As and it was scary how easy it was to get the rear end to act silly.

(note to self: remember the last sentence if you get the urge to disable VDC)

Old 08-10-2005, 09:58 AM
I get her sideways every now n then....usually when someone is in the car saying **** like, "is this thing fast or what?" - then i punch it and have them staring at the rear bumper at about 55mph - hahahahahaha....then i go home and change my pants!

Old 08-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Gting
6spd with VDC off = Fun!
The first thing I do after putting on my seatbelt is hit the VDC OFF button. Everyday unless it's raining.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by superb16
The first thing I do after putting on my seatbelt is hit the VDC OFF button. Everyday unless it's raining.
....it's part of turning on my car too!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Honestly, whose gone sideways?