G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Test drove Acura TL and G35x, a review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Test drove Acura TL and G35x, a review

I do not yet own either of these cars but I have been researching and reading (mainly this forum) for a few months. I thought I would give my first impressions of both of these cars given that I dont own a G and am not used to it and can give a first impression comparison without too much bias. (im pretty new the the board, Hi, im 24, live in ames/des moines iowa and just got my com sci degree from Iowa State...)

The models driven: 2005 Acura TL with all the goodies and a 2005 G35x with premium package, nav

Interior:
First the TL...
The TL has a slightly better navigation and larger screen with touch capabilities. The bluetooth is nicely integrated into the steering wheel and nav system. The TL has several types of materials used, my favorite is the carbon fiber looking stuff. The climate controls are also a little easier to use, the driver and pass. have individual controls on either side. The hear/air ducts are not as adjustable as the G. The TL seems to have a lot of buttons. You can spend a lot of time just looking around for buttons. The G at least has a simple elegant flow of gadgets, the TL is more of an airplaine c0ckpit of stuff. Sunroof is similar if not a bit smaller. The seat was a little bit more narrow (im a bit tall, but not overweight by any means) and not as comfy as the G seats. It was a good seat, seemed sportier than most sport sedans. The seat controls are below and to the side like most cars and were easy enough to figure out. (is anyone else sick of the reviews where they cant understand the controls... how hard is it really?) The gauge cluster seems cheap compared to the G, they are black plastic and set very deep. The gauges are blue in color which is neat at first but would get old very quickly, but the gauges dont look as sharp as the G. The steering wheel has several controls on it but and feels roughly the same thickness and diameter as the G but looks a bit clunky and fat (it needs lipo).
The G...
I prefer the G's interior in several ways. The nav isnt as nice BUT it disapears into the dash which i love. The car isnt cluttered with buttons of different shapes yet it has all the features of any other car. The gauge cluster is much nicer and much easier to glance down at and get all the info you need. The seats are more confortable and I didnt seem to even notice the controls in the bolster as many have complained about. The steering wheel is more classy and has more area to grip onto. The TL's steering columb does adust up/down and telescope BUT you have to loosen a 4 inch lever and move it around manually, the G's is electronic which I think is more precise to adjust. (if I am adjusting it from my wifes position to mine I know to telesope it in a smigde and move it up another smidge.. but in a TL you loosen it and it moves all over -- and you have no idea where it was originally).

Handling:
The TL was better than I expected but its still very much a front wheel drive car. suspension seemed softer than the G, but still firm and responsive. Steering was tight but hard to compare exactly due to the drivetrain differences. It was very easy to spin the front tires when launching it (I dont like street racers, I was just getting a feel for it) and it does lurch a bit more than I would like. The brakes are softer and felt more like a lexus es300.
The TL did not body roll too much, but I did not get a chance to really test on S curves or anything very fun.
The G is still the clear winner. The car splits torque with a rear wheel bias and the car stays flat even in aggressive launches. The steering is very tight but doesnt give much feedback to the driver (a trend that I see in most near luxury cars, but I cant expect a true drivers car).

Power:
The TL suprised me. It felt faster than I thought it would. Still my wifes 93 camry XLE v6 (3vz-fe) feels just as fast, even though it probly isnt quite as fast. The FWD just makes all the difference to me. When the front of the car comes up on accel I just feel silly.
The G sounds better. I like the manumatic 10x more in the G... the TL has the 'maze' shifter that looks like crap. As for usage, the G's manumatic will shift back to first gear if you stop (which i like) but the TL does more... it will shift from 1 to 2 for you and will downshift from n to 2 to 1 as you slow down... its hardly letting you do the work! The G feels less abstracted than the TL. If you drive the G like a crazy teen you can really get it to roar and lurch and do whatever. The TL was much more tame, but that might be good for some people.

Exterior: We all like the G better here, so Ill just point out a couple things that I liked and disliked about the TL. First, driver visibility. The G has much nicer visibility. It seems like the hood on the G just goes straight down to the road and its nice. The TL has a very large dash and hood, so you dont get the same im-over-the-road feeling. I like the side markers on the TL which are integrated into a indented line along the car. I also like how the exaust is balanced by putting 1 pipe on either side, but I dont like the square finishers and the notches in the lower bumper for the exaust limit your ability to change where the exaust pipes end up if you decide to go with a new exaust.

Overall, I think the TL is a very nice car. It has many features standard that cost more on the G and is well priced. The largest con for me is the FWD. If you want AWD acura look at the $50k RL... but its a boat and is still front wheel drive biased. (like the G35x is rear biased).

So in conclusion... I will be placing an order for the following very soon...

2006 Infiniti G35x AWD, premium C, Nav, crome 17", 3m-clearbra, mud thingies.. yay!

Old 08-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice evaluation Konsole.
Congrats on your choice and post a few pics when your baby arrives.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah....and another one bites the dust. Congrats on your decision and your future purchase.

~Julie~

Old 08-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good personal review. Sounds as objective as I was when shopping and I arrived at the same conclusion. I still admire the TL and wonder what it would be like to own but I absolutely love my G. Can't wait until winter and use the AWD.
Enjoy your new ride.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Your observations are much the same as I would have made, having recently done the same comparison (I bought the G35x, just haven't done a sig yet).

The navigation is indeed disappointing in the G. I showed the folks at Infinity my portable Tomtom unit, and they were amazed at the screen quality and touch screen ease of use. I in fact declined the nav on the G because my portable unit is actually much better. Acura/Honda clearly has a much better unit than Infinity as well. I have their latest in my wife's 05 Odyssey. Beautiful screen, touch controlled, and even voice activated.

Other than that, the G has been a dream so far The G's positives far outweight the one negative.

Last edited by DP03; 08-25-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family

Old 08-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good review, I will only add this. It's less expensive to produce a FWD car than it is a RWD or AWD car. Yyou only get so much production money to produce a 35K car. Acura used their money on the interior and Infiniti used it on the drivetrain. It all depends on what you want. The TL is a luxury sport cars while the G35 is a sport luxury car.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by shodog
Good review, I will only add this. It's less expensive to produce a FWD car than it is a RWD or AWD car. Yyou only get so much production money to produce a 35K car. Acura used their money on the interior and Infiniti used it on the drivetrain. It all depends on what you want. The TL is a luxury sport cars while the G35 is a sport luxury car.
agreed

Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Yup, more expensive, but well worth it. I'm coming out of a car that some consider to be a step up from the G - the 05 Volvo S60R. As nice as that car is, I prefer the driving feel of the G35x, probably because the AWD Volvo system is 90% FWD biased, where the G drives as a RWD car.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Lip
Acura used their money on the interior and Infiniti used it on the drivetrain.
That is the main reason I bought a G35x-

Konsole Great review and choice-

Old 08-25-2005, 01:53 PM
That's the reason why I bought mine too. When I was comparing those two vehicle...the b/f was so strong on the TL..because of the interior. I have to admit, the interior on the TL is nice..but as soon as I test drove the G, I knew..even converted the b/f to bless my opinion.

Also..the RWD is a big plus

Old 08-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Good review
one other thing I noticed when driving a TL vs a G35 is exactly what someone else said, the TL is more of a luxury sports car. I feel scared to give it gas as it might hurt it. Whereas my G as soon as I was off the lot I felt to give it what I could. I think the Infiniti vs Acura perception can do that, and lex(i) are just well...no comment :-)

Old 08-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by shodog

Well said. I will also add that the TL is basically a Accord so it's not designed to be a sports car.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by DP03
Yup, more expensive, but well worth it. I'm coming out of a car that some consider to be a step up from the G - the 05 Volvo S60R. As nice as that car is, I prefer the driving feel of the G35x, probably because the AWD Volvo system is 90% FWD biased, where the G drives as a RWD car.

I was looking into the S60R's. Those are so rare to find..even used one they wouldn't even let me test drive one. I'm surprised you went from that to a G. From what I've read, the S60R's quite underrated and going under the radar most of the consumers out there. I really wanted it but a tad out of my price range...but perhaps it was better that it was..

Old 08-25-2005, 05:14 PM
the S60R, 2004 i trest drove was awsome!! i personally do not like body kits, but i do NOT care for the R without the factory kit. holy smokes the back side is the best i have seen on a car. it is gorgeous, however upon touching the kit it feels really cheap.

the interior is real cramped in the backseat--like might as well be a 2 seater, but the front seats are the most confy i have sat in to date.

loved the car, but the dash sucked. made the older G's look lux. i couldnt get passed it. more $$ then i wanted to spend to...but man, it handles like a dream.

a veddy veddy underrated car imo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove Acura TL and G35x, a review