G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Steam Clean the engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steam Clean the engine?

Here in the Northeast, the salt and sand can realy soil the engine area.

Does anyone know if the G35 engine can be steam cleaned, or cleaned in any manner to remove the salt etc.

Thanks

Old 11-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Not an expert in this area, but I do know that you have to be very carefull with high pressure water and the engine. There are a lot of electronics in there so be carefull.
I live in the Northeast too, I will clean the engine bay every time I was my car in the winter, usually 1-2 times a week. This has kept my engines clean for years. If you have the time you don't need to steam clean or power wash.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by smedly
Not an expert in this area, but I do know that you have to be very carefull with high pressure water and the engine. There are a lot of electronics in there so be carefull.
I live in the Northeast too, I will clean the engine bay every time I was my car in the winter, usually 1-2 times a week. This has kept my engines clean for years. If you have the time you don't need to steam clean or power wash.
Where do you wash the car in the winter? At the hand wash bays?? Do you ever run it through the car wash?
Thanks

Old 11-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
JMHO, but I wouldn't recommend it...

There are several cleaning products designed for this task.
Simple Green etc...

Cover the vital organs (electronics etc)
Use the product (spray & soak)
& a little elbow grease

Then gently flood the gunk away with a stream of water (hose with no nozzel)

Old 11-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also not a fan of pressure washing the engine bay, but I don't think that the original post was about pressure washing. Steam cleaning was mentioned, which I believe wouldn't be the same.

However you decide to wash/clean your engine bay, be sure that the components are COLD. DO NOT apply cold liquids (water/cleaners/etc) to a hot engine.

Albert

Old 11-26-2005, 09:20 AM
I usually wash it in my driveway, just make sure you bring your hose in after otherwise the water will freeze and can crack the hose. When the temp drops below 20 degrees I will take it to a touchless car wash. Never bring it to one that touches. I always notice a film of soap left on the car after brining it to the car wash, which I hate. So I try and do it myself as much as possible. It's 24 degrees here right now and my car needs a wash we just had snow I need to get that salt off.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Absolutley not unless you want electrical gremlins to pop up and/or want to risk cracking metal when you hit the hot engine with significantly colder water. Spend a day cleaning the engine bay with a mild soap/water mix on a rag and then whip down the engine once a month or so.

As for Simple Green, be very careful because it will tarnish the alumnium if your don't dilute it.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:08 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by smedly
+1. Be careful with high pressure hosing.
C.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:25 PM
are u insane? No water at all under engine. if dirty, hand clean it with degreaser. No way man, dont uck up a nice car...

Old 11-26-2005, 11:41 PM
negative on the steam cleaning. thankfully most of the electrical is covered, but w/ steam cleaning you can almost guarantee that water will get in places it shouldnt. then you have to worry about drying that area out. definitely a no on steam cleaning.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't think there are too many places that will actually "steam" clean anymore. When I was doing detailing, we would just use a degreaser with the water hose, then the acid to clean the aluminum, and finally the dressing to make the rubber and stuff shiny. But like many said, I don't think it should be done in very cold weather. Just wait until it gets warmer, or use warm water to do clean.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Well I guess I've been lucky. I have used Simple Green on my engine with high pressure once a week for the past 2 yrs at the car wash and never had a problem. I guess you just need to know where NOT to spray...

Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't "steam" clean or power wash, but I have, on every car I have owned, always sprayed the engine bay down with degreaser, let it sit for a few minutes, and hosed it all off. I do this while the motor is running but cold (just idle after being off for a few hours.)

I have never had issues with using water on the motor - I just don't shoot high pressure stream directly on the battery or fuse compartment, anything obviously electrical like the generator housing, and especially not in the air intake or air filter. Everything can get wet and is designed to get wet (except the air filter...) Just don't soak it and use your head.