G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Our speedometers are wacked, or...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our speedometers are wacked, or...

Hey Guys

Something that has been bothering me for a little while. I knwo that our cars (G35 Sedans that is) are, as have been, review to have a 0-60 accelration time of 6.1-6.5 sec.

I knwo that these tests are conducted with highly accurate computers, laser/optical/radar markers and machines. I did some testing of my own. Using a simple stopwatch built into my Ericsson T610 phone, I tried to measure my accelration time. That is time between me hitting the pedal from rest and the speedometer hand hitting exactly 60.

After several tries (with and without VDC), with all windows and the sunroof closed and the AC off, I averaged 7.5-7.9 sec.

Here are my comments. It is obvious (if you really pay attention, as we all probabaly have) that there is a significant delay in the speedometer's display of the current speed. Just try braking abruptly, the speedometer takes almost a second (ballpark) to register the speed drop. The speed increase is surely the same. It is registering the 60 mph on the speedometer way after the car really reaches 60mph.

But the 7.5-7.9 sec range!!!??? By the way, this number is true for my car with 16,000 mi on it as well as a new G35 sedan that i got for a loaner with 2000 mi on it.

Even taking into account the speedometer lag, it seems (forgive me for saying this) that our sedans are not as fast as we thought??!! Now, of course this can't be, as there are consistent reports in the press of this car being a 6.2 sec car.

Your comments please. I think that this is topic worth dicussing. What am I missing here guys? I invite you all (coupes and sedans) to test out your cars with the method i described above (meaning from your own speedometer). Lets compare our cars.

Gurgen

2003 G35 Silver/Sport/Winter/Aero-bumber only/stillen intake/clear markers

Old 08-01-2003, 01:36 AM
Re: Our speedometers are wacked, or...

The 0-60 numbers that the magazine guys get are under near ideal conditions with precise measuring equipment. Also, different drivers will get different numbers based on individual driving/shifting style, even road conditions and believe me geographic location (elevation) plays a very important role. BTW, do you have a manual or automatic transmission ?

Old 08-01-2003, 03:23 PM

Your not going to be able to accuratly time yourself with the speedo and timewatch. You have to use radar. I have found that in real world driving, if you add a 1/2 second to 3/4 of a second to the times you see in the magazines then you will be pretty accurate with what the car will do with an average person driving it.

Very few people I have seen have reproduced the fastest numbers shown in magazines. You really have to be a good driver to obtain those types of numbers.

Ivory Pearl - 6MT - Sedan

Old 08-01-2003, 07:44 PM

Most performance tests do very hard launches - on sticks, they will drop the clutch with the engine at say 4500 RPM and on autos, they will spool up the tranny while holding the brake. I doubt most of us owners will dare try that sort of launches. If you do, you will need a new clutch very quickly indeed !

Old 08-01-2003, 08:30 PM

Those numbers he is quoting are for the 5AT... but yeah I don't think you can accurately time yourself... BTW my old Probe GT had 0-60 specs of 7.3 and my G35 5AT is much faster than that car... so I believe low sixs for this car.

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

Old 08-01-2003, 10:27 PM

syntro

i got an automatic.

yeah i knwo about the ideal conditions used in testing these cars. but still, there seems to be a big difference between 6.2 and 7.6. About a second can be attributes to the speedometer lag specifically. has anyone noticed this lag? it is DEFINATELY there. I guess the rest can be attributed to the fact that i do a 'normal' start rather than pushing the gas with the brakes in and suddenly releasing it.

This car is definitely faster than my friend's 97 v6 camaro, which is rated at 7.4. Overall, i think we don;t have that much to worry about.

However, it is nice to establish this unofficial/damage non-inducing 7.5 sec acceleration time so that it can be compared under the same controlled conditions to our cars with upgrades (especially the future ECU upgrade to come for the sedan).

Bythe way, I say that because I have been in touch with Danny at TechnoSquares, and will probabaly (80% chance) agree to donating my sedan to 2 weeks of inactivity so that they can pulkl the ECU program and start the work on the edan upgrade!

FOR ALL OF OUR SEDANS' and OUR SAKES.

Gurgen

2003 G35 Silver/Sport/Winter/Aero/Stillen Intake/Eiback Sport kit/Clear markers

Old 08-01-2003, 11:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Other owners at the track approach the magazines' times so I wouldn't be worried about our G's being slow. There just too many factors that affect the times you are measuring yourself, that you'd go crazy trying to figure out what's right/wrong.

Just relax and be happy in the knowledge that you have a great car!

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
2003.5 G35s

Old 08-02-2003, 03:33 AM

you are right chinee

we do have great cars!!!!!!!!!!!!

2003 G35 Silver/Sport/Winter/Aero/Stillen Intake/Eiback Sport kit/Clear markers

Old 08-02-2003, 03:49 AM

I hear is a common thing with nissan cars with the spedo being off by about 3-5mph but it was usually faster. I read a review where the Altima was showing 50 on the spedo but radar was showing 43.