G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

How good is RWD G35 in winter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good is RWD G35 in winter?

Hey guys had a quick Q. Already have an 04 G35x so familiar with how it performs in winter. Getting rid of the 04 Solara and thinking about picking up a new car.

So now was debating between these 3 cars all being from around 04-05 and auto. TSX, TL and G35 RWD auto sedan.

So here is my question, how bad will the G be with snow tires and without? I live in the midwest(Chicago), so we do get a good amount of snow and bad weather. I have owned and driven other rwd and wondered if it is worth getting the G or just one of the FWD cars?

So please give me some input for those who own or drive RWD Gs in snow with and without snow tires!

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2005, 12:31 AM
horrible w/o snow tires, mediocre w/ snow tires. i'm assuming u want a coupe?

Old 12-03-2005, 12:43 AM
My folks live in PA where they get quite a bit of snow. They have a G35 sedan and have been pleased with the RWD performance in snow. Even with all season tires the car handles well. I think the traction control and electronic stability control really help. You can always throw some weight in the trunk (50-100lbs) and get a big traction boost.

I don't think coupes come with all season tires so a second set of winter tires would be a must.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:20 AM
with winter tires, its no different then driving it in the dry

Old 12-03-2005, 01:26 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
It's all about the tires. I can guarentee you that in the typical snow (2"-6"), a RWD G35 on snow tires would run circles around a G35X on all season tires. You really have to consider some things here. How much driving do you REALLY do in heavy and deep snow? I don't know about you, but here in the Kansas City when we get heavy snow 6"-10" it's usually cleared within 2-6 hours. I just sit at home and wait till the streets are halfway cleared. I have no reason to be out driving in that unless it's an emergency. If I'm at work and it starts snowing heavily, I just leave early so that I don't have to drive in deep snow and reduced visibility.

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember that braking and entering a turn will be the same between the x and rwd sedans. Accelerating from a stop and out of a turn will be far better in the x. This assumes that tires are equal on both.

I've got snows on my rwd and it handles extremely well. Biggest problem, IMO is the VDC. It's only a problem on takeoff as it doesn't take much to get it to kick in. I'm not against the VDC at all as it does what it is designed to do - straighten the car out. Just that after years of learning how to use the throttle to steer the car, I now find myself having to be more patient with the throttle. No more "gun it and go" kamikazee driving, UNLESS you turn VDC off. I took the car to an empty lot during the last dumping here and found it to be so well balanced in the snow that I can't recall another car that was this much fun. The closest would have been my 94 Z28 with Blizzaks (my G has Dunlop M3s).

I've found directional stability on the highway to be extremely good during the snow falls that we've had in Southern Ontario.

One other car that I think you should add to your shopping list is the Legacy GT. A little down the scale luxury wise, but I think it would fit the bill quite nicely, if you're after awd - mind you, I would and did choose the G over it, but I just thought I'd add it to the shopping list as I think it has it's strong points.

BTW, do you run snows on your X now? If not, then I would say that, overall, the rwd G with snows will be better than an x with a/s.

Remember also, that ice is the grand equalizer - without studs, nothing will work better than cautious driving.

Albert

tiguy99 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-03-2005, 08:01 AM
akrus-

I just put Dunlop M3's on and have about 400 miles on them. Did yours shake like they were unbalanced at all or did they run smooth from mile 1? Taking mine back this am to have the fronts re-balanced but figured since they were a chunkier tire that maybe it would take time for things to smooth out...

Thanks

Mike

Old 12-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by sysadlight
akrus-

I just put Dunlop M3's on and have about 400 miles on them. Did yours shake like they were unbalanced at all or did they run smooth from mile 1? Taking mine back this am to have the fronts re-balanced but figured since they were a chunkier tire that maybe it would take time for things to smooth out...

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike. Mine were perfect from day one. I got mine from tirerack, mounted and balanced on alloys. Keep in mind that tirerack uses the Hunter Roadforce balancer - I've heard that this is the one to use, so maybe there is an advantage there? I'm not up on what makes it special, but a friend of mine had problems balancing wheels on his Lincoln LS until he found a Hunter wheel balancer.

Are yours mounted on your factory rims? If they are on non-factory rims, do you have the centering rings? I had a problem with one of the centering rings not fitting over the hub (it was different from the other 3). I removed the ring and installed the wheel as is. Still no vibration, so I didn't concern myself with it. i did call Tirerack and mentioned it to him and he said that if vibration becomes a problem, to get the proper ring (as I'm in Canada, I'd just buy another rather than pay duty/brokerage for a $5 part).

I've got 4,500 kms on the tires and they are rock steady.

Good luck with yours.

Albert

Old 12-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a coupe with the M3s. I have driven them about 700 miles with no problems. We have had 2 small snows here near Chicago and the RWD has given me no problems. I have no worries about driving the car now. Last year, I didn't purchase snows and got caught on the summer performance tires twice. Oh my gosh! Scared to death. In other words, be prepared to buy snow tires and possibly some inexpensive rims for the winter. I paid $950 for used stock 17" rims and new M3s. They will probably last at least 3 years.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:58 AM
There are a couple of areas where the X has some advantages over the rwd G with snow tires: Left turns against traffic on slippery roads, starting out on hills ( do you live on a hilly street) and the awd x on all season rubber will actually drive better than the rwd G on snow tires, when the roads are not snow covered. This situation occurs in MN quite often.

That being said, a snow tire equipped rwd g will stop much better than the All season tire equipped G35x. You have to use some common sense driving in winter and respect the inherent laws of physics.

Finally, there was a test done comparing rwd, fwd, and awd cars with and without snow tires. http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=3888.

In the slalom test there was only a 1/2 mph advantage for the snow tire equipped G versus the AWD X with all seasons. Unless you also like to use your car to Auto-X or on the track, my opionion is the advantages of awd are attractive enough to choose the G35x over the G35. Notice thats my opinion for the roads I drive and the way I use the car

tiguy99 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the responses guys!

To answer a few Qs, I said I was getting another sedan, would like the coupe, but too small.

The X does not have winters and uses its all seasons. I guess I will now go out and see what kinda deal I get! I'll keep you guys posted as to how it goes!

Thanks again!

BTW I saw I can get some dunlop Graspic DS-2 Studless for $408 shipped for 4.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...d=007432&ar=55

How much of a problem is it to swap between those tires and regular tires if I don't get winter rims? (Will get them eventually)

Old 12-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Lazer
There are a couple of areas where the X has some advantages over the rwd G with snow tires: Left turns against traffic on slippery roads, starting out on hills ( do you live on a hilly street) and the awd x on all season rubber will actually drive better than the rwd G on snow tires, when the roads are not snow covered. This situation occurs in MN quite often.
I think this will depend on the tires used. For example, my rwd G with stock Goodyear RSA tires honestly does not feel any different than when I have the M3's on - * for NORMAL driving situations on dry. IE: daily highway commute of 80 kms, plus about 10 kms of city My previous Blizzaks (I've have had quite a few different versions) definitely felt different than the all-seasons, let alone dedicated summer, in the dry. The M3's have narrowed that gap so much that it's amazing. Now, let me add one more qualifier - at COLD temps.

Originally Posted by Lazer
That being said, a snow tire equipped rwd g will stop much better than the All season tire equipped G35x. You have to use some common sense driving in winter and respect the inherent laws of physics.
Agree completely here. Every SUV owner should have to listen to a recording of "You have to use some common sense driving in winter and respect the inherent laws of physics." over and over, until they understand it.

I was torn between getting the x and the rwd. In the end, I decided on the rwd as I live in an area that, although we can get plenty of snow, gets cleared relatively quickly. Another factor in my decision is that I've lived here all my life, so I'm pretty much used to driving in it. The x just seemed to be a waste for the 7+ months that it doesn't snow here. Even when it does snow, there's only a handful of times that it's true advantages come through. I also had to weigh in the fact that my dealer was less willing to deal on an x. This being said, if I had an x, I'm sure I'd be just as thrilled with it.

Albert

Old 12-03-2005, 10:45 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Both Coupe and Sedan R/D are bad without snows, but especially the Coupe which comes with summer performance rubber.
On the other hand, both rides with snows is great.....no issues.
C.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
it won't snow that much out by you then the G would be a great choice. the TSX has no power and you will always have to put in premium gas in a 4-cylinder. G35 RWD is perfect blend of power and luxury.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Keep em coming guys! BTW the X has been plenty good in dry/wet/snow so never had any problems. And the way it floors out of turns and what not etc etc. But not trying to make this an X vs RWD thread .

Would get another X if I can get a nice deal on one, but otherwise it is out of the price range sadly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How good is RWD G35 in winter?