G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

crank driven clutch vs electric fan....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
crank driven clutch vs electric fan....

i've searched and didn't find any related threads so here it goes:

Since when did the g35 get the electric fan?

When I was test driving/buying the car I'd thought that the radiator cooling fan was engine driven. When I'd finally looked at it at the dealer when paying for it, I'd realized that the fan(s) were electric and mounted on the radiator, so I thought, "COOLLL!! No need for electric fan mod..."

I went on that notion from seeing the initial g35/350z motor pics of 2003....

Or, is it just the 350z that has the engine mounted/driven fan?

This must be one way (electric fan version) they squeezed out addtional power from the newer generation VQ35's....

Old 12-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by FenixL1P
Since when did the g35 get the electric fan?
I believe all coupes and Zs had electric fans from the start. The 03 Sedans were on the only ones with the fan clutch

This must be one way (electric fan version) they squeezed out addtional power from the newer generation VQ35's....
IMO, it's debatable. Even with electric fans, there is still a pulley there where the fan clutch was orginially mounted therefore there is still accessory loss. The fan clutch hardly is ever engaged either. You can hear it when it is. Dynos between 03 and 04 5AT sedans seem to be the same as does the 1/4 mile ET and MPH.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. It was odd to see the Z ad pics showing the vq with the fan/fan clutch.

Wouldn't the rotational inertia of the fan clutch and blades have an effect of the amount of power loss more so than the pulley by itself at start up and when the fan clutch engages?... I guess it I'll leave the issue at "debatable"...

On one note about the electric fans though, my 2k2 6spd maxima fans never activate when the engine is off, even after driving in the heat of summer w/ AC contiunously blasting....only on when engine is one...

So far the same goes for the g35. Is it because the they are both manuals and rarely need the addional cooling off?...because my sister's '91 camry's fans will continue to spin for while before shutting off (same w/ other sister's previous '90 accord).

Old 12-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by FenixL1P
Thanks for the info. It was odd to see the Z ad pics showing the vq with the fan/fan clutch.
I think it was more for image. A naked engine looks more like an "engine" when it has a fan mounted on it.

Wouldn't the rotational inertia of the fan clutch and blades have an effect of the amount of power loss more so than the pulley by itself at start up and when the fan clutch engages?... I guess it I'll leave the issue at "debatable"...
There's definitely going to be a loss of power associated with fan, whether it's engaged or not. With the fan clutch isn't engaged, the fan is free-wheeling and spinning, though not near as fast as the accessory belt. During this scenario, there's not much inertial loss because the fan is rather lightweight and it's putting very little drag on the accessory system. When the clutch engages (hot day with A/C on at a long stop, initial start), there will definitely be a loss of power compared to the electric fans. However, the fan never seems to stay on for long (only at a stop and up to around 20mph) therefore the losses would be hard to see unless the fan stayed engaged at all rpms. I couldn't imagine that thing being engaged at 5000rpms+ because it moves a crapload of air Electric fans will also create a loss power because they will put a rather heavy load on the alternator; however, the fan clutch losses will be higher.

I have no idea why Nissan used the fan clutch on the 03 sedan. IMO, it's total overkill for a 3,400lb passenger sedan. Fan clutches offer superior cooling, but it's not as if people are using the sedans to tow or haul significant weight across a 120 degree desert. Maybe they realized it was overkill and cheaper to make it like the rest.

On one note about the electric fans though, my 2k2 6spd maxima fans never activate when the engine is off, even after driving in the heat of summer w/ AC contiunously blasting....only on when engine is one...

So far the same goes for the g35. Is it because the they are both manuals and rarely need the addional cooling off?...because my sister's '91 camry's fans will continue to spin for while before shutting off (same w/ other sister's previous '90 accord).
My 03 G35 has never kicked on a fan once the car is turned off. My 96 Maxima 5MT with electric fans was the same way. I think it all depends on the car. I know my father's 03 Sienna kicks on the fans when the car is off and my prior Hondas did the same. My best guess is since the VQ utilizes reverse flow heads (coolant cools heads first), there may not be much of a need for extended cooling.

Last edited by DaveB; 12-19-2005 at 05:36 PM.