Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2007 Bose "Studio On Wheels" Review

STEREOFILE REVIEW

2007 Bose "Studio On Wheels" Review

By: Wes Phillips
July 16, 2006

Actually, I had no complaints. I'd been impressed by the CD of the Mike LeDonne Quintet, which had the dynamic slam of the original—down to the splashy brass cymbal accents that many hi-fis blunt in playback. I had also been impressed with Billy Drummond's shifting rhythms on "The Mooche" from the Jerome Harris Quintet's Rendezvous (Stereophile STPH013 CD). And Joni Mitchell's "Free Man in Paris" was so there I gave barely a thought to David Geffen (always a plus) . . . and . . . and . . . it was a good thing I was the last demo of the day, because I just kept pulling out discs and listening contentedly.

Last edited by senneca01; 07-18-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Great find, thanks for sharing. I am definitely looking forward to hearing this new audio system!

Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by senneca01
STEREOFILE REVIEW
Agreed - interesting to see if this system will deliever or is this just another Bose marketing ploy.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Again, great find !
Can't wait to hear how it handles mp3's given the HD drive meant for such files. Assuming that the system is able to rip tracks directly from CD's onto the HD, I'm curious as to the compression ratio...128kb...256....etc.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:56 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will it have DVD audio capability like the M?

Old 07-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm sure the new Bose system for 2007 G35 will be very impressive system, no doubt. However, not sure if I want to pay $3k to $4k extra for this system even if it comes with the sunroof. I don't considered myself as audiophile and I would be happy with the stock stereo as I did on my G35 coupe. I hardly ever used sunroof on G35 coupe either.

Somehow I don't consider car as the ideal place enjoy audiophile-quality music, especially on the "performance" sport sedan like G35. No matter how quiet the car interior is, there will always be outside noise to deal with, not too mention all the distractions from the driving in busy traffic. I bet you have to park your car in quiet surrounding to truly appreciate this high-end stereo system. If so, what's the point of having it on your car?

I'm planning to keep my option list to minimum on my G35 if I decide to buy it, no more than $35k before tax & title. To me, the stock stereo and the sweet exhaust note would be good enough...

Old 07-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Can't wait to hear it in person!

Old 07-20-2006, 04:23 PM
This stereo has been pushed and marketed big-time ... it'll be interesting to see if it matches up to the incredible hype. I bet it does a pretty good job, but the G35 is such a loud car on the road, especially on the freeway, I'm not sure its brilliance will be fully appreciated. Part of the reason the Levinson sounds so good is because Lexus creates such an incredible quiet cabin, so you're not getting the NVH interference

Old 07-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TBone24
This stereo has been pushed and marketed big-time ... it'll be interesting to see if it matches up to the incredible hype. I bet it does a pretty good job, but the G35 is such a loud car on the road, especially on the freeway, I'm not sure its brilliance will be fully appreciated. Part of the reason the Levinson sounds so good is because Lexus creates such an incredible quiet cabin, so you're not getting the NVH interference
Agreed...

Old 07-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by TBone24
This stereo has been pushed and marketed big-time ...
Considering the big market push and this recent "Stuidio on Wheels" comparison to a professional studio I was dissapointed in this review. I think the writer could have written a little more than "Actually, I had no complaints" and "I'd been impressed". This writer says he has two $30,000 speakers. Two. Not Twenty or Fifteen. Just two so he should know about speakers. This was a ameteur review from someone Infiniti sought out because he is supposed to be a professional and they got less than a paragraph worth of praises.

Next time forget the useless review and just let Thomas C. Crahan rant and rave about the system. Maybe he'll throw out a direct challenge to Mark Levinson or something.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gt_performah
Considering the big market push and this recent "Stuidio on Wheels" comparison to a professional studio I was dissapointed in this review. I think the writer could have written a little more than "Actually, I had no complaints" and "I'd been impressed". This writer says he has two $30,000 speakers. Two. Not Twenty or Fifteen. Just two so he should know about speakers. This was a ameteur review from someone Infiniti sought out because he is supposed to be a professional and they got less than a paragraph worth of praises.

Next time forget the useless review and just let Thomas C. Crahan rant and rave about the system. Maybe he'll throw out a direct challenge to Mark Levinson or something.
Agreed - what kind of "rave review" is that...? This system's benchmark is suppose to be a $80K home theater system [Funny how they do not mention the benchmark's setup]. I have a $75K HT setup [this does not include the room either] and I'll be willing to bet this system could not stand up to a $80.00 Aiwa benchmark, let alone systems like this - but we'll see.

...or audioholics, ect. I would say avsforum.com but they already had a feeding frenzy on the other thread

Last edited by RLampke; 07-21-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by RLampke
...or audioholics, ect. I would say avsforum.com but they already had a feeding frenzy on the other thread
I love the Bose & Monster Cable discussions on the two mentioned forums.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by DirtySouth
I love the Bose & Monster Cable discussions on the two mentioned forums.
BTW, I still cannot find where this thread was moved to on avsforum.com, but I should have posted back some of the responses in regards to John's comments and Bose itself - they were tearing him/them up. You should have seen how many thread were generated almost immediately - it was like tossing a piece of raw meat into a waiting school of Pirana.

Great comparason - Bose and MonsterCable

Last edited by RLampke; 07-21-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:55 PM
I spent some time in avsforum yesterday

Rlampke,

I searched for your threads there but couldn't find them.

If you find them, send me some PM. I hoping it's not just a troll, but a substantive discussion of things like how to control the mechanical properties of cellulose cones (and a lot of very high end speaker companies still use "paper" cones in some applications). It would be great to seen anyone anywhere talk about the source of transducer nonlinearities and what kind of design tradeoffs can be pursued to address them.

What I've seen at avsforum (and I foolished participated in), is the classic ideological Bose bashing. I'm still open to the possibility that there are actually people who know something about electroacoustics in that forum ... and want to discuss audio design rather than a blind hatred of Bose business strategy. But I've seen no evidence of such so far.

Seriously, could you point me to any these technical discussions or audio experts that reside in avsform.com?

John

Old 07-23-2006, 10:57 PM
boy would that ever be a horrible headunit to try to replace lol

also, that's great his three pretentious pieces of music sounded good... now what about the type of music we listen to?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 Bose "Studio On Wheels" Review