G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

3M clear bra questions: Urgent opinion wanted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M clear bra questions: Urgent opinion wanted

I had the dealer put one on my new G35 2007. Charged me $695. I am unhappy.

First, although he did wrap it around the edges of the hood, the adjoining edge next to the hood on the quarter panel is not wrapped. In fact, I don't think any edge except for the hood is wrapped. There are a number of pieces on the lower bumper. Also, there is a few square inched of the lower front bumper that he did not do. It's in a section where the bumper curves inward a bit around an arc. I'm not familiar with the stretchiness of the material, but i can imagine it might have been difficult to lay one pice down in that section, otherwise the material might bunch when going around the curve.

Also they were a little sloppy around the bottom of both headlights. Most edges come to about a quarter inch away from the edge, but below the headlights the left a friggin inch! The small sections near the bottom of the bumper are piced in 3 or more sections, and only teh front surface is covered. In other words they didn't wrap all the way around, but cut a piece to fit the front.

So did I get ripped or what? I should have had the dealer be very specific with me as to how it would be done.

Another thing. On about 2 sq inched on teh hood there's a small blemish in the plastic. I think I'm going to have him take it off and redo it. Actually, I feel liek simply ripping the whole thing off and having it done right somewhere else!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a poor install to me. Is your dealer listed by 3m on their website as a certified installer? If not, I would have a certified installer in your area do it correctly at the dealer's expense.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by dirtywally
Sounds like a poor install to me. Is your dealer listed by 3m on their website as a certified installer? If not, I would have a certified installer in your area do it correctly at the dealer's expense.
Do you have a link? I think it's 3m. Called Autobahn I think.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ind_Installer/

My dealer in Calgary doesn't even use the 3M Scotchguard Brand, for the last couple of years they have been using Avery. Personally I know the only certified installer in Calgary and will most likely have him install the rockguard for me.

The only question is whether I should have the headlights protected.

Last edited by Christian; 11-01-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Sounds like a bad install. I did all mine myself and it came out better than that.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Just talked to the owner

Originally Posted by ttrank
Sounds like a bad install. I did all mine myself and it came out better than that.
Talked to the owner of the franchise that did the install.

About the quarter panel not being wrapped, he said that if they wrap it there, it's very likely to peel. The hood has an easy surface to wrap on the back, but not the quarter panel. If they get to close to the edge, he told me moisture is likely to get under and form a "finger."

He also told me that they might have used a template for the Sport, not the AWD. Wow, big mistake huh?

He said there's no excuse for the blemish though, and that he replace that.

I feel alot better that the guy called me. I felt that he was honest and sincere. I'll let you all know what happens.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 11-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
So if they might of used the Sport template, will they be re-doing it with the proper template? I personally wouldn't be happy with anything less.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by canuck
So if they might of used the Sport template, will they be re-doing it with the proper template? I personally wouldn't be happy with anything less.
He said he was "investigating" the possibility that they might have used the Sport template. I personally don't care, template smemplate. I care about the final results. I spoke directly to the franchise owner, and he seemed to want to make me a satisfied customer. I guess he understands that old adage, "A Happy customer tells 2 friends but an unhappy one tells 12."

Old 11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Question about the install:

Does anyone know when they install this film protector, do they have to take the bumper, hood, fender apart?

Old 11-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems Rocky....
At least it sounds like you have a reputable installer.

This kind of problem is one reason why I never do dealer add ons.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RockyR
He said he was "investigating" the possibility that they might have used the Sport template. I personally don't care, template smemplate. I care about the final results. I spoke directly to the franchise owner, and he seemed to want to make me a satisfied customer. I guess he understands that old adage, "A Happy customer tells 2 friends but an unhappy one tells 12."
If they didn't use the proper template, I can only assume that the fitment of the clear bra wouldn't be very good since the there are two completely different bumpers. Let us know how you make out.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Update

The dealer confirmed that they used the wrong template. Used the Sport instead of the version for my X. He's going to redo the whole thing.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyR
The dealer confirmed that they used the wrong template. Used the Sport instead of the version for my X. He's going to redo the whole thing.
Good news... nice to see that they stand behind their work.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Good news... nice to see that they stand behind their work.
+1, glad they are completely re-doing it.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
that's excellent you're getting a complete redo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3M clear bra questions: Urgent opinion wanted