G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stupid CD question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Stupid CD question

Okay, I should probably know this but don't; any way to get CD track names to show on the screen WITHOUT Navi? I can burn CDs from iTunes with track names, but am surprised that some new CDs (i.e. not burned) have names, but most don't (was shocked that Jay-Z's new CD didn't have track names on the disc).

Do I need to change a setting, or do most CDs just not include the names, or...?

TIA

Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Okay, I should probably know this but don't; any way to get CD track names to show on the screen WITHOUT Navi? I can burn CDs from iTunes with track names, but am surprised that some new CDs (i.e. not burned) have names, but most don't (was shocked that Jay-Z's new CD didn't have track names on the disc).

Do I need to change a setting, or do most CDs just not include the names, or...?

TIA
In my experience only a very small number of CDs include CD Text, and not necessarily new recordings.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDs such as the ones purchased in the stores are burned in a .wav (or similar) format. They don't have ID3 tags, so they won't display on your head unit. If you are using an MP3 cd, the cd player will read the info and display it.

*EDIt* just realized you have an '07, not sure if you have a "disp" button: Just press the disp button for 1.5 sec and it toggles between track, artist, file name, etc.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Moderation-free
Originally Posted by DenverG35X
CDs such as the ones purchased in the stores are burned in a .wav (or similar) format. They don't have ID3 tags, so they won't display on your head unit. If you are using an MP3 cd, the cd player will read the info and display it.

*EDIt* just realized you have an '07, not sure if you have a "disp" button: Just press the disp button for 1.5 sec and it toggles between track, artist, file name, etc.
Actually, at least one did (Hustle and Flow soundtrack), but I think as you and the others have noted, most don't. The Status button does let me flip back and forth, but it just changes the display without adding the track names. - you'd think the recording companies would make this a no-brainer.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, at least one did (Hustle and Flow soundtrack), but I think as you and the others have noted, most don't. The Status button does let me flip back and forth, but it just changes the display without adding the track names. - you'd think the recording companies would make this a no-brainer.
CD Text is not the same thing as ID3 Tags, and I agree that it would be a no-brainer for the record companies to use this as there is no added cost. I have also only seen 1 CD that had CD Text encoded for the track names, an old Ozzy CD (fromt the 90's). I think the reason is people have a preference for the gracenote method, where the HU recognises the CD by reading the TOC and compares that with the database. Too bad only the navi equipped G's get this feature.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Yes, that's right. Same in my M35. CD's do not show track info. Only a select #of albums show track info, like sony recorded CD's. Other than that, you're out of luck as far as store bought CD's showing song info.

You'll have to create a data Cd with MP3's/WMA's and play them in the in-dash 6 Cd changer. You will then see Folder (i.e. Album) and title (i.e. track) on the display. Or for those with NAV, copy store bought CD's to the music box HD, or play a single data CD with MP3's/WMA's on the single in-dash player, or copy MP3's to a compact flash and play in the CF slot. These methods should also show Folder/Title info.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Moderation-free
Originally Posted by Q56_Monster
Yes, that's right. Same in my M35. CD's do not show track info. Only a select #of albums show track info, like sony recorded CD's. Other than that, you're out of luck as far as store bought CD's showing song info.

You'll have to create a data Cd with MP3's/WMA's and play them in the in-dash 6 Cd changer. You will then see Folder (i.e. Album) and title (i.e. track) on the display. Or for those with NAV, copy store bought CD's to the music box HD, or play a single data CD with MP3's/WMA's on the single in-dash player, or copy MP3's to a compact flash and play in the CF slot. These methods should also show Folder/Title info.
Actually iTunes will let you burn CDs with text, so you don't have to go the data CD route. We may be saying the same thing, but it's not actually a data CD.

Thanks all for the info - spent $10 on 50 CD-Rs, burning CDs as we speak

Old 12-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Actually iTunes will let you burn CDs with text, so you don't have to go the data CD route. We may be saying the same thing, but it's not actually a data CD.

Thanks all for the info - spent $10 on 50 CD-Rs, burning CDs as we speak
Is there a seperate setting for this? The first CD I tried this morning which is a newer album bought and burned from Itunes didnt show up.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by ChristianN
CD Text is not the same thing as ID3 Tags, and I agree that it would be a no-brainer for the record companies to use this as there is no added cost. I have also only seen 1 CD that had CD Text encoded for the track names, an old Ozzy CD (fromt the 90's). I think the reason is people have a preference for the gracenote method, where the HU recognises the CD by reading the TOC and compares that with the database. Too bad only the navi equipped G's get this feature.
The reason it that the cd text feature is owned by Sony or one of those companies, and other record companies don't want to pay the money per disc to use that technology.

Dosent bother me, as I haven't bought a cd in years. All mine have text.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:24 AM
True. It took me an hour or so to get a good "system" in place with copying to the CF card, but once I do that, I dont see myself ever needing to use the CD player. Still would like to figure out the folder system on that thing though.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 AM
07G
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Is there a seperate setting for this? The first CD I tried this morning which is a newer album bought and burned from Itunes didnt show up.
I had the same thing happen in iTunes so I switched to Toast which does a great job.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Can Toast be bought seperately or is it part of a Roxio suite of products? Does it burn songs from Itunes in their protected AAC format - stuff you purchase from Itunes? I've been converting all my protected stuff to unproteced mp3s for the CF card, but I'd like to know what Toast does

Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 AM
07G
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I misread your post. I thought you bought a cd and was using iTunes to rip it so you could view the info. As mentioned above, some of the new cds are showing the artist info (Oasis) while others are not (U2 18 Singles). I'm using Toast to rip the ones like U2 that are not showing any track info to store on the Music Box. I am not getting of my albums from the iTunes music store.

Toast is a seperate product and I've read where it will and won't convert AAC files.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:54 AM
For store store bought CD's that don't have text I've noticed that making a copy using Nero add's text to the copies. It goes on the internet, does a cross reference, then tags the copy. I don't like to carry my orignals so they don't get ruined/tossed in the car so I copy most of CD's and carry those.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Hmmm maybe I will try making a copy of the copy. Seems odd though that being burned from Itunes where it has full tags and all it wouldnt copy that to the disc or be read by gracenotes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stupid CD question