G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is everyones MPG as bad as mine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Waxer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's try and put it in perspective here. My gas mileagae as well has been less then I expected both for highway and around town. My '03 G35 did an average of 4 mpg better but then as people have pointed out there is for me a 43 hp difference.

What I have noticed here is that we have a wide variance in what '07 owners are getting. We have owners getting well under 20 mpg and others getting well over 20 mpg.

The question is why the disparity? The sticker did make me believe I would get better mileage then I do. On the other hand there has been articles that said the methods used to get these numbers are very inaccuarte and not real world. Recently new methods have been adopted and are now being used. Infiniti came out in the last month or two lowering the estimated mileage for the new G35 using these new methods..

But is still doesn't explained why we are all over the board here.

As we know there are many factors that contribute to what mileage we get.

- How we drive (lead foot or granny style)
- Whether we are driving around town or highway
- Type of gas, and octane
- Where we live (Cold climate vs Hot)
- Winter gas vs Summer gas
- Number of miles on the engine (break in)
- Tires (type, inflation, etc)
- Maybe even how the engine itself was assemble (timing difference, tolerances)

You see my point. The biggest factors as see them is how we drive and break in. From what I read getting some miles on these cars might help.

A better measure might be for people in the same climate/area of the country to compare their mileage rather then having one in Canada, then one in CA and another in Utah comparing.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about a poll

Temperature zone between Nov-March

Cold Weather - most days are below freezing
Mild Weather - Above freezing but "it ain't the Florida Keys!"
Warm Weather - Average 72 or more, your where we all vacation too

Here's the Poll:
I'm Still in the Break-in So I won't vote and will come back later (don't choose me)
Cold - Less then 20 MPG Avg
Cold - More then 20 MPG Avg
Mild - Less then 20 MPG Avg
Mild - More then 20 MPG Avg
Warm - Less then 20 MPG Avg
Warm - More then 20 MPG Avg

Sound good? or does anyone have suggestions for improving this? Is break-in really a big deal? maybe qualify the poll to be for those outside of their 1200 mi breakin period, or just open it to all?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought I'd add more stats, I drove 308.6 miles and topped off the tank with 14.87 gallons of gas which works out to be 20.75 MPG average. This was on about 50% highway which had quite a bit of stop and go traffic and roughly 50 of the 300 miles was WHooooo Hooo Driving on the backroads.

I'm still thrilled with MPG.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 PM
if you think 80 mph at 3k is high. My s2k is at 4.5k when i am driving 80 (redline 8.2)

G35 was never a gas saver. i would be happy if i get anything over 22mpg 90% highway in my coupe.

BTW: cruising at high RPM does NOT mean worse mpg, it has more to do with engine efficiency and gearing.

fyi: my s2k gets 26mpg mainly fwy at 4k-5k rpm consistantly everyday.

i have a 03 coupe and an AP2

But i understand how you Z06 ppl feel. When i had my Acura CL-S. my rpm was at 2300 at 80mph. Then i switched to G35C and it was 3000 at 80mph. I kept on staring at the rpm when i am driving wondering why it is so high. now i am staring at 4500 everyday.
Get use to it!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I seem to be rock solid at 20mpg combined in Southern CA. One thing no one has mention .... are you guys using the Auto climate control mode (i.e. is your A/C compressor on)? That will suck your mpg down.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:50 AM
I think what would help is if people would state what MPH you are averaging. I get 14-17 MPG, but then I do alot of city driving with a avg MPH of 20-30MPH ;0(

Old 04-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I like to approach this topic by seeing what the car can do under ideal conditions--punch the reset of the mpg computer when getting on to the highway. Put the cruise at say 67-70 mph and drive for 40 mi., highway only. If your car kicks-back what the EPA highway says, there's nothing wrong with it. imho 25%+ of city driving added to the mix makes it impossible to compare anything. Getting 0 mpg at a stoplight is normal!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by My6speedCoupe

BTW: cruising at high RPM does NOT mean worse mpg, it has more to do with engine efficiency and gearing.
I totally agree. Many people miss the notion that a 6-spd is simply the same ratio spread over more gears. It isn't as if 7 and 8 on a Lexus are two more overdrive gears.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by CarNutz
This car gets descent mileage for it power and weight.
The exhaust tips look pretty clean indicating a correct or lean mixture.. many high performance cars burn rich to protect the combustion temps.. but this engine seems well controlled with good fuel trim programming.
Very astute observation! agreed...

Old 04-01-2007, 11:51 PM
It's not proven yet but something to share since most of us get low MPG. My brother told me not to full the tank cause it adds more weight to the car. so Ill do some experiment. I'll fill up my tank half full (twice) and compare the gas mileage as when I put full tank. i doubt it would make a difference but..... well see.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Exodus
It's not proven yet but something to share since most of us get low MPG. My brother told me not to full the tank cause it adds more weight to the car. so Ill do some experiment. I'll fill up my tank half full (twice) and compare the gas mileage as when I put full tank. i doubt it would make a difference but..... well see.
alright coooll.i love the r&d!!!!!

Last edited by UltimateGee27; 04-02-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by John105
I like to approach this topic by seeing what the car can do under ideal conditions--punch the reset of the mpg computer when getting on to the highway. Put the cruise at say 67-70 mph and drive for 40 mi., highway only. If your car kicks-back what the EPA highway says, there's nothing wrong with it. imho 25%+ of city driving added to the mix makes it impossible to compare anything. Getting 0 mpg at a stoplight is normal!
OK, here's my experience.

Yesterday I filled up and hit the highway. It was about 90* in Phoenix, and I had just over 3,000 miles on the car. I set the ICC at 75 and headed south. Once I hit more open road, I10 out of town, I was running 75-80 most of the way. Sometimes down to 70 due to traffic, sometimes up to 83 when passing. Overall average MPG: 25. Distance travelled was about 70 miles.

The return trip was slightly less controlled at 80-85 most of the way until I got into town and dropped back to 75. Overall average MPG: 23-24 without resetting the computer. Distance travelled was about 140 miles round trip.

So far, this was the best I'd ever seen on the G. When I hit 2,000 miles on the ODO, I saw a jump in MPG to about 21, mixed hwy/city. Now over 3,000 miles and I saw a jump again to about 25 primarily hwy.

I filled up last night after the trip and hit the hwy to work this morning. After 28 miles of relatively light traffic, 25 MPG again!

So, if I had to guess, I'd say this is tied more to miles on the car/engine than anything else. Let us know if you see a slight bump after 2,000 miles, and a noticable bump after 3,000 miles.

I feel WAY better about the MPG with this car now than I did just a couple of weeks ago.

YMMV

Ed

Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by wadd3456
Shoot me twin turbo 335i isnt even broken in and is pulling 28mpg on the hwy.
The 335i puts out that great mileage because it has Direct Injection - that makes a big difference.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by John105
It isn't as if 7 and 8 on a Lexus are two more overdrive gears.
FYI -- The Lexus and the Merc trannys (At least on their mid size SUVs) have 2 overdrive gears each.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Exodus
You're talking about 70 pounds difference... not enough to make a noticeable difference..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Is everyones MPG as bad as mine?