G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Base vs Sport Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base vs Sport Driving Impressions

This morning I got an '07 base loaner while my sport is in for some tint and door guard tweaks. I have around 2500 miles on my sport, and the loaner has about 3300 miles on it. My sport has prem/nav/tech. The loaner has only sport wheels and tires, no premium package.

These are essentially 2 different cars, not just equipment level changes.

Differences from the sport:

Steering - lighter feel

Brakes - somewhat harder to modulate. Engagement is much sooner and has less pedal travel.

Drivetrain - Not as aggressive tuning. Pedal was less of an on/off switch, although I've gotten better with mine. The snap off the line was missing. Shift points seem different, even in DS mode. It doesn't hold a gear like the sport, it shifts up much sooner. I didn't try manual mode at all.

Suspension - Softer as expected.

Seats - wider as expected.

Instruments and Controls - The center displays are less intuitive without the touch screen, although I assume you would get used to them. The displays are also slower, in that they visibly slide into place rather than snap up as with NAV.

Audio - Base radio is adequate, but not even close to SOW. Missed the music box feature.

Well, that's all for now.

Ed

Old 03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hothothot
Drivetrain - Not as aggressive tuning. Pedal was less of an on/off switch, although I've gotten better with mine. The snap off the line was missing. Shift points seem different, even in DS mode. It doesn't hold a gear like the sport, it shifts up much sooner. I didn't try manual mode at all.

Ed
Interesting, thanks for the info. The comments above are likely due to the car learning more subdued driving habits - it's supposed to learn the driver's patterns, and shift points etc. will alter based on that.

The odd thing is that people usually beat on a loaner

Old 03-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Interesting, thanks for the info. The comments above are likely due to the car learning more subdued driving habits - it's supposed to learn the driver's patterns, and shift points etc. will alter based on that.

The odd thing is that people usually beat on a loaner
is it really suppose to learn my driving habits? i hope this isnt true because i dont plan on driving as spirited as i did when i first got the car

Old 03-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Steering - I would believe the steering in sport and non-sport to be the same, unless you have 4was. I don't think thinner anti-roll bars and softer suspension would translate to lighter steering?

Drivetrain - I assumed that the 5AT in the sport and 5AT in non-sport are exactly the same with the exception of the paddles. Maybe the tranny computer needs to learn your driving habits? Or maybe the tranny logic is in fact programmed differently from the factory?

I think I need to test drive a sport (since mine is a journey) and see for myself!! =)

Last edited by CalsonicVQ; 03-23-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by CalsonicVQ
Steering - I would believe the steering to be the same in sport and non-sport to be the same, unless you have 4was. I don't think thinner anti-roll bars and softer suspension would translate to lighter steering?

Drivetrain - I assumed that the 5AT in the sport and 5AT in non-sport are exactly the same with the exception of the paddles. Maybe the tranny computer needs to learn your driving habits? Or maybe the tranny logic is in fact programmed differently from the factory?

I think I need to test drive a sport (since mine is a journey) and see for myself!! =)
Nope, no 4was. I thought it would mostly drive the same too, but it seems there may be more to the sport than a few cosmetics.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
is it really suppose to learn my driving habits? i hope this isnt true because i dont plan on driving as spirited as i did when i first got the car
Typically these systems continue to learn (i.e. your habits over the last couple hundred miles are what count).

Old 03-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Steering - I would believe the steering to be the same in sport and non-sport to be the same, unless you have 4was. I don't think thinner anti-roll bars and softer suspension would translate to lighter steering?

Wider tires can translate into "heavier" steering. The Sport model may use less power steering assist than the others, as well.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how about Sport VS X?

Old 03-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by MoCoG
Wider tires can translate into "heavier" steering.
True, but OP stated that the loaner car had sport wheels.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:53 PM
the limited slip dif may change the feel as well

Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Bad Toro
Great write up Ed

Old 03-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by chuckg35
the limited slip dif may change the feel as well
Bingo. VLSD is a very significant change as it should boost BHP (flywheel) by a good amount.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KLASiKAHL
Bingo. VLSD is a very significant change as it should boost BHP (flywheel) by a good amount.
The VLSD is a viscous limited slip differential and is in no way related to the power of the car.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:28 PM
no effect on power, just the way its put on the ground, and how that feels

Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering - I would believe the steering in sport and non-sport to be the same, unless you have 4was. I don't think thinner anti-roll bars and softer suspension would translate to lighter steering?
Stiffer anti-roll bars and springs definitely affect the feel of the steering. It makes the car feel like it turns in quicker - which it actually does with stiffer suspension. Responses become sharper as there is less lean before turning occurs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Base vs Sport Driving Impressions