G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Passenger Airbag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when there's nobody in the seat there is no light on my passenger airbag display. is this how it's supposed to work? it's opposite of my coupe, which would display "NO PASSENGER AIRBAG" on the dash when nobody was sitting in it. Just picked up my car a few days ago... Should it be illuminated when nobody is in the seat? or should it work the other way?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 AM
mine is off when no one is in the seat, it lights up to indicate that the airbag for the passenger is off. Im wondering if that means only the frontal airbag or the front passenger side airbags also ?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Taken from the owner's manual:

For the front right passenger, the occupant classification sensor is also monitored. Based on information from the sensors, only one front air bag may inflate in a crash, depending on the crash severity and whether the front occupants are belted or unbelted. Additionally, the front passenger air bag may be automatically turned OFF under some conditions, depending on the information provided by the occupant classification sensor. If the front passenger air bag is OFF, the passenger air bag status light will be illuminated (if the seat is unoccupied, the light will not be illuminated, but the air bag
will be off).
So explain the point of the light then. If nobody is sitting in the seat it will not illuminate, however, if someone IS in the seat it will possibly illuminate? Explain the logic in that. In my coupe, when nobody was in the passenger seat, or when I had a tiny girl riding shotgun, it would illuminate, informing me that the passenger airbag would not inflate in a crash. Someone explain to me what the purpose of the light is?!

Last edited by cup0spam; 05-11-2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by cup0spam
Someone explain to me what the purpose of the light is?!
i think it's pretty clear from that description.

if a passenger IS in the passenger seat, but the airbag is currently disabled due to either size, weight, or position of the passenger, then the light will turn on to tell you that the airbag is off.

the light won't turn on to tell you the airbag is off when there's no passenger because, well, who cares?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Altersys
i think it's pretty clear from that description.

if a passenger IS in the passenger seat, but the airbag is currently disabled due to either size, weight, or position of the passenger, then the light will turn on to tell you that the airbag is off.

the light won't turn on to tell you the airbag is off when there's no passenger because, well, who cares?
yup thats exactly it infiniti trying to save little orange leds lives, by not running the led all the time...but the problem still exists about the classification sensor being too sensitive. In my toyota suv the light comes on indincating airbag off when something is too light like my briefcase ~ 20-30 lbs or something like a heavy box ~ 40-50lbs but it always turns off for my girl. The toyota sensor is based on weight on the seat it seems about 70ish lbs is enough to turn the airbag on. It would seem to me infiniti is using some alternate method or the weight threshold is too high, which just isnt cutting it cause the disabled light is on like 50% of the time with a passenger and its a little disconcerting for the passenger and driver if something were to happen.

Last edited by Trance_G35; 05-11-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by jjaywill
yes ive noticed this on my car also
07 G35s sixspd graphite premium tinted
oh, well i your case its the 6spd/premium/tint combo, its well documented...

Old 05-14-2007, 02:49 PM
my car gets dropped off at the dealer today... i've got a slew of problems now... we'll see what they say

Old 05-29-2007, 07:01 PM
did you find anything out about this? I forgot about this problem when I went in for my first oil change.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:23 AM
A Friend of mine has a G35 sedan and he gets DTC code B1018 and this all has to do with the passenger front seat airbag sensor/pressuremat which will not detect a passenger in the seat and so not protect the passenger with airbag deployment in case of a collission.

My friend went to the dealer who inspected the fault and came to the conclusion that it was not DTC code 1022 in case of the recall. but next:

answer:
"The failure that emerges is the fault code DTC B1018 (occupant
sens unit fail)
This is a sensor in the seat of the chair RH which senses if anyone is sitting on the right passenger seat

From one of your mails to us, you thought there might have been a recall
of Infiniti, which also refers to the interference.
We therefore have the cable / connector and the sensor measured with special tools/measurement of Infiniti Europe (Switzerland) to tracet his error.

This measurement is performed at our office in Amsterdam.
These measurements showed that there are no deficiencies that lead to the
failure of the recall.
In the bulletin of the recall is stated that it is a DTC code 1022
which will be referred to the same component but not the same fault
is.

Furthermore, we have attempted to correct the interference by unplugging the occupant sensor under the RH seat connect three wires directly
by soldering, unfortunately without result because the error keeps coming back.

Our final diagnosis is that the fault of the occupant sensor, which
in the seat of the chair seat intrigued RV's, this means that the
entire seat portion of the RH seat must be replaced.
Further information shows that when the occupant sensor is replaced,
the diagnosis sensor unit named the ACU must be replaced.

The cost of the chair frame plus sensors is 5345.78 euros and replace
diagnosis unit 1,045.44 euros VAT included (these components are currently
not in stock at Infiniti)
Incidentally, this is excluding installation costs.

I added a description of the diagnosis and DTC B1018"
End of quote

So that can cost a lot of money.
However I read there is a replacement seat sensor pad that can be installed in the seat cushion in stead of replacing the whole seat cushion.

Can someone of the experts amongst you respond to this problem

Thanks
Case

Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Case Holland
A Friend of mine has a G35 sedan and he gets DTC code B1018 and this all has to do with the passenger front seat airbag sensor/pressuremat which will not detect a passenger in the seat and so not protect the passenger with airbag deployment in case of a collission.

My friend went to the dealer who inspected the fault and came to the conclusion that it was not DTC code 1022 in case of the recall. but next:

answer:
"The failure that emerges is the fault code DTC B1018 (occupant
sens unit fail)
This is a sensor in the seat of the chair RH which senses if anyone is sitting on the right passenger seat

From one of your mails to us, you thought there might have been a recall
of Infiniti, which also refers to the interference.
We therefore have the cable / connector and the sensor measured with special tools/measurement of Infiniti Europe (Switzerland) to tracet his error.

This measurement is performed at our office in Amsterdam.
These measurements showed that there are no deficiencies that lead to the
failure of the recall.
In the bulletin of the recall is stated that it is a DTC code 1022
which will be referred to the same component but not the same fault
is.

Furthermore, we have attempted to correct the interference by unplugging the occupant sensor under the RH seat connect three wires directly
by soldering, unfortunately without result because the error keeps coming back.

Our final diagnosis is that the fault of the occupant sensor, which
in the seat of the chair seat intrigued RV's, this means that the
entire seat portion of the RH seat must be replaced.
Further information shows that when the occupant sensor is replaced,
the diagnosis sensor unit named the ACU must be replaced.

The cost of the chair frame plus sensors is 5345.78 euros and replace
diagnosis unit 1,045.44 euros VAT included (these components are currently
not in stock at Infiniti)
Incidentally, this is excluding installation costs.

I added a description of the diagnosis and DTC B1018"
End of quote

So that can cost a lot of money.
However I read there is a replacement seat sensor pad that can be installed in the seat cushion in stead of replacing the whole seat cushion.

Can someone of the experts amongst you respond to this problem

Thanks
Case
Well Case, as you can see from this thread (6 years old), this isn't a terribly common problem. Most of these posts were basically from people learing the idosyncracies of their (then) new cars. What's more, none of them report any trouble codes at all, so your situation is most likely entirely different. I do however recall seeing other threads where people reported having to have their seat bottoms replaced due to error codes which had nothing to do with passenger weight issues. Even for cars for which the recall applied, there was only about a 1% failure rate, so it was a fairly rare occurance. I don't know what assistance Infiniti corporate customer relations may be for you, but it couldn't hurt to check. If all else fails, I'd certainly consider buying salvage parts and installiing them (possibly even doing it yourself) before paying full retail for them. Good luck to you!

The following users liked this post:
Case Holland (04-15-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 01:31 PM
You guys need to trade your girls for bigger women... They have feelings too... The G does not support your decision that's why it won't protect the occupant.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my wife (about 110 lbs) is in the seat the airbag light comes on as well. When I originally brought this to the dealers attention they said everything checked out OK. I still think it's faulty!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by douglas555
When my wife (about 110 lbs) is in the seat the airbag light comes on as well. When I originally brought this to the dealers attention they said everything checked out OK. I still think it's faulty!
That's normal. Your wife isn't big enough and the airbag actually might do more harm than good because they're more "fragile."

Mine always did that before it malfunctioned, and the dealer replaced my seat under warranty. Now it acts normally, and light passengers (below 115 pounds I believe) will deactivate the airbag so it won't cause harm when airbag does deploy.