Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
My climate control is my sunroof.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
third!!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
I am not having any issues with my climate control. I have the black interior, and living in FL that car sitting in 91 F all morning at the office it gets toasty. But I sent the Climate Control to 76 and within 3-4 minutes the fan had gone from full to 3 -2 bars and I have a cool interior. Now as a transplant from the Great White North, saying cool is important to me. And this G is so much better at that then my 06

Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by chrisbel
I agree 150% This is the one real frustration I have had on an otherwise great car. It's always blowing loads of cold air at me unless I turn it up to 80, but then it won;t cool things down enough

Ditto. There is no doubt that the system produces cold air, but forget about any "automatic climate control" in this car! I can't just set it and let it go. I always have to "manage it". I think someone mentioned heat/sun sensors....maybe defective or poorly placed. I know it may be a small problem in the whole scheme of things, but it can be very frustrating!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have no problem with the system aside from the fact it turns the AC on each time you select AUTO, such as after you've needed the de-fogger.

The face level vents shouldn't be blowing at you, but past you - no issues with freezing hands...

Old 06-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I think I figured out the problem.. The system is not finely tuned. The system seems to work more accurately when it is cloudy out or during the evening hours. When the sensor on the dash detects the sunlight, then it stays in "high" mode and you need to put it on 76 - 78 or so to get to run in a lower mode.
If you leave it on 72 it will freeze you out... unless its dark out.. move it to 77 during the day and it works like 72 at night.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by CarNutz
I think I figured out the problem.. The system is not finely tuned. The system seems to work more accurately when it is cloudy out or during the evening hours. When the sensor on the dash detects the sunlight, then it stays in "high" mode and you need to put it on 76 - 78 or so to get to run in a lower mode.
If you leave it on 72 it will freeze you out... unless its dark out.. move it to 77 during the day and it works like 72 at night.
I think you may be ricgt about the sun sensor - I've noticed it does seem to work on cloudy days and I've never noticed a problem at night. I did try covering the sensor one sunny day though and it didn't seem to help but I think I'll try again (if the sun ever comes out....)

Old 06-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by chrisbel
I think you may be ricgt about the sun sensor - I've noticed it does seem to work on cloudy days and I've never noticed a problem at night. I did try covering the sensor one sunny day though and it didn't seem to help but I think I'll try again (if the sun ever comes out....)
Taking it a step further.. It seems like the sun sensor is either on or off with no variable reading. Seems to be tuned for a car that is parked out in the sun all day.. not finely tuned as it should be..

The cruise control has a quality or poor design issue too..
It cuts throttle too abruptly.. so the start of a downhill movement causes the throttle to close too quickly and back on again.. It's a drive by wire system... no reason it can't work smoothly... Maybe Microsoft did the programming.. who knows..

Old 06-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by CarNutz
Taking it a step further.. It seems like the sun sensor is either on or off with no variable reading. Seems to be tuned for a car that is parked out in the sun all day.. not finely tuned as it should be..

The cruise control has a quality or poor design issue too..
It cuts throttle too abruptly.. so the start of a downhill movement causes the throttle to close too quickly and back on again.. It's a drive by wire system... no reason it can't work smoothly... Maybe Microsoft did the programming.. who knows..
I agree, you can particularly notice this when you use the ICC and come up on somebody, it also take too long to get back in the throttle if you pull out to pass, often have to help it with input of my own...

Old 06-06-2007, 02:54 PM
other manufacturers... are worse (current car included)
My G performed quite well... and when its compared to the new car night and day.

IMO the climate control system is good in the G.

ppp

Old 06-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by NewGMan
Is it just me or is the climate control in the G not very good. Always seems to be blowing about level 3, rarely, if ever 2, and never down to 1. Position of vents blows air on you hands always unless you aim them away from you completely. In my last car, Volvo S60R I set the temp. once and drove the car for 2 years comfortably, almost never changing the settings, unless I wanted to cool off quickly. In the G I am constantly changing vent direction, temperature, and adjusting fan settings during my 1/2 hour communte. Not much of a climate system really is it? It is very annoying.
My last var was a S60 too. It worked much better than in the G - just set it and forget it. I constantly have to adjust the temp up or down +/-6 to 8 degree to stay comfortable. As CarNutz said above, I'm sure it is the sun sensor in the G that is screwing with it. That was meant to make the system more comfortable, but in reality the implementation of it and the software control makes it more annoying. The system works much better on cloudy days. The Volvo had no sun sensor and was waaay better. I wonder if there is a way to disable the sun load sensor, maybe cover it up or something. Is this combined with the auto headlight detection though?

Oh yeah, cruise control decel control loop is tuned like crap too!

Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 PM
The G's climate control takes some getting used to. Certainly does not work as a "set it and forget it" as in other cars that I have and have had in the past. As mentioned, sunny days are a problem, blows cold as heck even if it's only in the 70's outside. I have to set the temp to 76 or 78 to be comfortable. Nothing is perfect, just a minor irritant in this mostly otherwise great car. I have not noticed a cruise control problem and I have not had an issue with standing rainwater entering the trunk when you open it as mentioned in another thread.

Last edited by new2G; 06-06-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
I find my G's A/C to be the coldest in any car I have ever owned. I like it!
i think the orig poster is referring to the logic behind the auto control, not the power of the system (which is very good, i agree with you).

i also find the climate CONTROL to be lacking... but i just hit the fan button to get the fan speed down to low most of the time and it's fine.

as for the vents, it took me a while, but i did find a nice middle ground between freezing my hands and baking my face. the vents are just not located in the best spots.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:37 PM
might also help is the system sent more air through the other vents instead of high speed through the dash

Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I am happy just to have AC that is as cool as the G's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Climate Control