G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35 Sport in snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Sport in snow

Iam about to lease a 2007 G35 sedan Sport A/T. do any of you guys have experience with this car in the snow in the N.Y.C./L.I. area? I know the sport comes with Summer tires, but its not like the snow is really bad here in N.Y.C. and we dont really have hills to worry about.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by LOV2XLR8
Iam about to lease a 2007 G35 sedan Sport A/T. do any of you guys have experience with this car in the snow in the N.Y.C./L.I. area? I know the sport comes with Summer tires, but its not like the snow is really bad here in N.Y.C. and we dont really have hills to worry about.
Even a dusting of snow makes summer tires useless.
Also temperatures below freezing make summer tires ride like hockey pucks on ice.

Invest in 17" rims and snow tires (skip the TPMS sensor on the winter rims) and swap the tires/rims twice a year.

I live in MN, and my G35S does great in the snow with snow tires. It's not the tires or the RWD you need to worry about, but rather the ground clearance. Cars lower to the ground bottom out alot more quickly and snow and when that happens, the greatest grip (tires) in the world ain't gonna do much if they're just spinning on fresh powder because the rest of your car is propped up by snow .

Old 06-14-2007, 03:15 PM
I have a 2007 G35 Sport and, although I haven't had to drive it in snow yet, I can tell you you'll need to get some winter tires, either real snow tires or at least all-weathers. Summer tires won't cut it in any snow, and my understanding (from reading this board) is that they lose a large % of their traction when road temps drop below 35 or 40 degrees F (can others who have the actual data confirm that for me?).

EDIT - in response to Dopey's post, I test fitted a set of 17s I had from my previous vehicle and they wouldn't work on the G35S due to interference (rubbing) with the brake calipers in the front. So if you go with 17s for the winter make sure they'll work before you make the purchase. I ended up buying a used set of 18s from an 03 FX to be my winter wheels, they were in great condition (just one or two small scratches) and cost only $325 delivered (gotta love eBay).

Last edited by Sideshow7208; 06-14-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:19 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=S&search=true

are 100 bucks a piece for blizzaks a good price? What kinda rim shoud I be getting, and how much can I expect to pay for those?

Sorry, very new to the winter tire game, I've driven my dad's jeep for the past 6 years and I've never had to worry about this stuff.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:25 PM
$99 per tire seems like an awesome price. The winter tires I bought for my previous vehicle, Dunlop WinterSport M2s in 205/55-R16, were $96 each back in 2002. But I think the WS50s (or whatever they are) may not be performance tires; you may want to check the speed rating. I think Bridgestone's LM series are what you want on a G.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:45 PM
So whoever buys the soprt in the north get winter tires? would the 17s on the journey be any better?

Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sideshow7208
Summer tires won't cut it in any snow, and my understanding (from reading this board) is that they lose a large % of their traction when road temps drop below 35 or 40 degrees F (can others who have the actual data confirm that for me?).
Confirmed - even in Houston with our limited cold weather, the tires started getting noticeably slippery around 40 degrees (dry weather).

Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Confirmed - even in Houston with our limited cold weather, the tires started getting noticeably slippery around 40 degrees (dry weather).
Then why the hell do they use those tires? Arent there summer tires that are still good enough in snow?

Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Bad Toro
A few flurries or a slight accumulation and you have enough precipitation to injure you badly, or worse, kill you. Don't even think of driving over snow with the summer tires. You have two options:

1. Get a winter beater for those snowy days.
2. Get a dedicated set of winter tires mounted on a dedicated set of wheels.

#2 is preferred as under 45 degrees, even on dry pavement, the summer tires will break lose due to their hardening in those low temperatures.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Then why the hell do they use those tires? Arent there summer tires that are still good enough in snow?
No.

You are obviously unfamiliar with the concept of summer, all season and snow tires.

DO NOT attempt to drive in temperatures below 40 degrees or if there is ANY SNOW OR ICE on summer tires.

It is very dangerous. The rubber gets very hard and slippery.

If you want the best performance in summer, get the summer tires. You must be willing to change to snows in the winter.

People usually analyze the cost factor wrong, and think it costs twice as much for tires. Not really, because when your snows are on, your summers are in the garage NOT BEING USED. So, by having two sets of tires, your summers and snows should last as long as two sets of tires.

The only real added cost is the winter wheels, and you should get a cheap set anyways.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by tagheuer
No.

You are obviously unfamiliar with the concept of summer, all season and snow tires.

DO NOT attempt to drive in temperatures below 40 degrees or if there is ANY SNOW OR ICE on summer tires.

If you want the best performance in summer, get the summer tires. You must be willing to change to snows in the winter.

People usually analyze the cost factor wrong, and think it costs twice as much for tires. Not really, because when your snows are on, your summers are in the garage NOT BEING USED. So, by having two sets of tires, your summers and snows should last as long as two sets of tires.

The only real added cost is the winter wheels, and you should get a cheap set anyways.
Well said.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Can someone recommend the best (both safety + money) winter tire for a 07 G35S? And maybe throw in the best place to buy em =) Thanks. I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseum but I'm sorry I'm new to this forum and like many other newbies on new forums, I suck at searching.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by tagheuer
No.

What do you think about swaping the summer tires for all season as soon as I get the car? Because in N.Y.C. there arent too many days of driving in the snow. And if so then what tire do you recommend? thanks

Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM
There are no all seasons available (yet) in OE sizes for the staggered 18" sport wheels. You'd have to go with a different size for the fronts or both. There are other threads that discuss this:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...t=tire+size+18

They're summer tires, if they're good in snow they'd be called all seasons. Summer tires typically have better dry traction than all season tires.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
For God sake, don't drive on your stock 18" summer tires during the winter. Even if the roads are dry, the harder compound summer tires can easily get away from you during colder temps. Summer times are useless in the cold temps and all season tires are bad enough. Winter tires are made with softer compounds to grip the road during colder temps. Watch the video below if you don't believe me.

http://www.bchighway.com/myvehicle/a...snowtires.html

Get yourself a good set of winter tires like Blizzaks and don't risk your life or damaging your G.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sport in snow