G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

IMHO, manumatic +/- is backwards, so...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMHO, manumatic +/- is backwards, so...

As stated in the header, the +/- for the manuatic console shifter is backwards (IMHO) so I want to reverse its operation.

Logically, upshifts should be a "pull back" operation as they would then be g-force assisted. The opposite is true for downshifts. BMW and Mazda do it right...

More than once I've "upshifted" into neutral from "D", throttle applied (fortunately light throttle so far), forgetting I'm not in "DS" - embarassing and possibly damaging to the car (over-rev, transmission etc). This would be an unlikely problem if the shift was reversed.

Does anybody know if it's as simple as swapping a couple of wires somewhere?

Obviously I'd need to modify the +/- indicators in the console.

Other coments welcome.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could not agree with you more - as a long time manual transmission driver (I only owned manual cars for more than 10 years) I have always felt that pushing forward to upshift on a manumatic makes no sense. If you find a way to reverse it please let me know because I would love to switch it as well.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone did a switcheroo on a V35 Coupe or Sedan. You can check it out here. https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-diy/122292-5at-shifter-direction-mod.html

Not sure if everything is the same on the V36 (and I doubt it is). I agree though. While I prefer a 6M/T, if I'm driving a manumatic I prefer a "pull back to upshift/push forward to downshift" setup a la BMW/Mazda. Lexus has finally figured this out with the new IS-F. If you compare the shifter in the regular IS to the one in the IS-F, you'll see that the upshift/downshift directions have been reversed.

Lexus IS:

Lexus IS-F:

I will say a few things though. First, I'm glad Infiniti has finally figured out that the manual gate itself should be located TOWARD the driver and not away from the driver. The only Infiniti which this still needs to be rectified on is the FX. And secondly, while it's a little off topic, Infiniti's setup is still 10x better than the crap side to side setup Mercedes/Chrysler uses. Ugh.

In any case, I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you out with what you're looking for. If anything I think the hardest part will be reversing the symbols on the console itself. Good luck.

One more thing. Hopefully on sport models, the steering wheel paddles and the shifter are recognized as two separate inputs for the transmission, otherwise reversing the operation of one might reverse the operation of the other one. Although I seriously doubt this will happen, it's a distinct possibility. Yeesh.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:03 PM
dont know the answer to your question, but i too, agree that the up/down shift is reversed. it's more intuitive to pull back to upshift. i think most ppl agree--race cars that have clutchless shifting all pull back to upshift.

the skip barber formula 2000 cars that i drove pull back to shift too.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:21 PM
im gonna have to disagree with you guys in this. maybe i was sooo use to driving with "forward to upshift/back to downshift" from my a4 that i prefer it like this now. think of it this way...you "upshift" to go "forward"...get it, upshift, forward... yea ok.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I think of it as being like an airplane throttle - forward allows you to go faster.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Maybe I should have made it a poll.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:22 PM
The best thing is I have two paddles (the S model) the left is - and the right is +. My elbow hits the seat every time I try to use the stick. There are so many thing I like about the paddles that I can go on and on, but...

Back to the topic I like the forward for + and backward for -. It is just logical

Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acidrane
im gonna have to disagree with you guys in this. maybe i was sooo use to driving with "forward to upshift/back to downshift" from my a4 that i prefer it like this now. think of it this way...you "upshift" to go "forward"...get it, upshift, forward... yea ok.
I'm here too - to me downshift = slow down = pull back.

Last edited by G35Now!; 09-08-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:52 PM
I frequently screw up the shift from 1st to 2nd as I am used to quickly pulling the stick toward me in a MT car, it scares the crap out of me when nothing happens.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:24 PM
i'm used to my TL having forward for up, and back for down, so i have no problems with my G. But i def. rather the G than what mercedes has. They go left to right...

Old 09-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
i'm used to my TL having forward for up, and back for down, so i have no problems with my G. But i def. rather the G than what mercedes has. They go left to right...
ive driven a left to right car. imo its too much of a hassle. when you take a turn you accidentally shift cuz you're holding onto the shift ****.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:07 PM
To the people complaining in this thread, why not just buy a 6MT in the first place

Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by psteng19
To the people complaining in this thread, why not just buy a 6MT in the first place
If they had offered a 6MT X Sport in 07 I would be driving it right now, but I wanted AWD more than the MT.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by ChristianN
If they had offered a 6MT X Sport in 07 I would be driving it right now, but I wanted AWD more than the MT.
+1

Coming from 25 years of manuals (mostly BMWs), getting used to the automatic gearbox is a pain hence the need for more logical manumatic shifting. Trust me: pulling back for an upshift is more logical than pushing forward - ever watch in-car shots of dragsters?

However, AWD overruled 6MT for me. Plus, the horror stories I'd heard on the 6MT from prior years added to the decision - and the vibrating shifters, squeaking clutch pedals and odd clutch engagement...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IMHO, manumatic +/- is backwards, so...