G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Rattle coming from Moonroof in '08 G35S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
There's a bulletin for the sunroof not sealing properly, and there's another for a loose sunroof finisher on 07 sedans.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca...7&sort=d&pp=10

I'm having these issues as well. However, mine doesn't sound like a rattle but more like a "creak"...just like a sound you would get from walking on old hardwood flooring. This only happens when the glass is closed and the shade is open. If I close the shade completely, then it goes away, however, I'm not convince that it actually goes away completely or since the shade is closed that it just dampens the sound so that I can't hear it.

I looked at that TSB link that you posted and that only applies to the 2007 models. Unfortunately, I have an 08 G35x. I had the same problem with my 05 G35 coupe and took it to the dealership to get it repaired. The sound went away for a few days and then mysteriously returned. Along with the returning "creak", my moonroof began to make a weird cranking sound whenever I closed or open it. With all the creaks/rattle/squeaks/cranks, I decided to trade that coupe in for the current model, and now it plagues me again on the new car!

I'm afraid to go back to the dealership to address the moonroof issue, since my last experience did not resolve it, but rather made it worst. Also, the dealership is about 100miles away and the only time I can make it down there is on the weekend. With that said, they can't inspect that creak on weekends as they only do minimal service work like oil changes. Does anyone have any real solution that I can perform to solve this creaking sound my self?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:07 PM
ive had that rattle problem too. its driving me crazy!!!!!!!! i think im going to take it to the dealer because i think its getting worse. ive tap the ceiling a little and it sounds like something is loose, but who knows

Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I took it to one dealer over here in Cerritos and they told me I would need a new motor for the sunroof rattling problem I had which would take 2 weeks to get in but when I took it to another dealership in Montclair they told me the rattling was because I had a loose screw that was causing the problem. They took my car to the back tightened it up and 10 minutes later my car was ready to go. I havent had a problem since. Might want to ask your dealership to check all the screws up there or look for yourself by pulling down the headboard a little bit and checking it out.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by winste
Thats the problem I have. Small rattle when the sunshade is open that goes away when closed.
That's the problem I had, but it wasn't really a rattle, it sounded like one or two heavy raindrops hitting the roof of the car every second. I eventually took it in and the tech smeared silicon paste/grease (not a spray) all around the moonroof and it took care of it.

My biggest problem now is that the center console around the shifter seems to creak and make clicking sounds when the car is warm. Now that it's gotten a bit cooler it isn't as loud or as bad as before, but when I speed up, slow down, turn, go over any rough pavement, I hear click-click-click from around the shifter. When I took it in for the sunshade problem I drove around with the tech and it didn't happen, so he couldn't do anything about it.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone identified what really gets tightened when the dealers fix the rattle noise in the sunroof? Mine is now getting worse. You can quiet the noise by putting pressure on the passenger side sunroof track. It sounds like there is a bolt/screw loose, but it also could be the chain that needs tightening. Any description of how to do these procedures would be greatly appreciated by all.
PS - I'm aware that the creaking noise can be solved by lubing the sunroof glass weatherstrip. The noise I am speaking of is the metal/plastic rattle.