G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Squeaky steering wheel console.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008 | 02:12 PM
|
Squeaky steering wheel console.

Hey guys, is it common to have the steering wheel console squeak when driving over a bumpy road? If so do any of you know how to fix it?

Old 10-16-2008 | 02:42 PM
this happened to me...i took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't "hear" it when it was loud as day when going over any unsmooth surfaces...but at the same time, make sure you don't have anything in your ashtray because i leave change in there and it does make a little rattling noise...i barely hear it anymore because my ears are married to my exhaust

Old 10-16-2008 | 04:09 PM
It happens to me sometime too. I'm going to have the dealership look at it when I go in for service next.

Old 10-16-2008 | 05:18 PM
happened to me as well...but then as mysteriously as it appeared, it disapperared too.

Drove me CRAZY for a solid week.

All in all I am very disappointed with the interior build quality....its like they didnt even consider expansion rates of different materials jammed so closely together.

Of course things are gonna squeek if they dont expand or contract at the same rate

Old 10-16-2008 | 06:48 PM
^^, now that you mention it...i only hear this sound on really hot days

Old 10-17-2008 | 05:58 PM
This happened to be when I removed the steering wheel... I took it to the dealership and they told me loosen parts caused that.. did you ever remove your steering wheel?

Old 10-20-2008 | 06:25 AM
You sure it's the console? On mine the plastic cowl at the base of the windshield was rubbing against it on the outside. I squirted some WD40 at the base of the windshield and no more squeaks.

Old 10-21-2008 | 05:39 PM
|
made an appointment with the dealer to take it in on Sat, the car is only 3 months old. They better not charge me!!!

Old 10-21-2008 | 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by SleepyG
made an appointment with the dealer to take it in on Sat, the car is only 3 months old. They better not charge me!!!
they wont charge you. this is one of the many issues i am having with my car. i have taken it in many times, they keep adding "insulation" but that wont fix it. it may be a temp fix, but after about 100 miles it just keeps coming back.

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by SleepyG
Hey guys, is it common to have the steering wheel console squeak when driving over a bumpy road? If so do any of you know how to fix it?
OMG...my car only has like 1,500 miles on it and now I'm beginning to hear a very similiar rattle like you. It sounds like its coming from the steering wheel, but below the horn area if that makes any sense. It makes the noise when going over rough payment and it sounds like a loose piece of metal of some sort

Also, when pressing down on the plastic trim right behind the steering wheel and where it meets the gauges, I can produce almost the same effect, but this time it sounds more like a creak with plastic on plastic and not metal. Unfortunately, the dealership is about 100 miles away and they don't do warranty work on Saturdays, which happens to be the only time I can make it down there due to my Mon-Fri work schedule

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:42 PM
I've got it too, its a squeaky sorta rattle sound. I can reproduce it by lightly hitting the top or bottom of the wheel with my palm. I need to call and schedule an appointment, but haven't had time lately. Pain in the *** disappointment.

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:59 PM
I have the same squeaky noise coming from the steering column. There are new noises that pop up from here and there all the time now.. that I just said OH WELL.. and just gave up on this endless battle w/ rattles & other noises.

Happy w/ everything about the car except for the horrid quality of an interior and the experiences of unfriendly service reps. at local dealers.

Sometimes I wish I had gone w/ a 335 or an IS350 (w/ addition of more $). *shrug*

Old 11-18-2008 | 07:08 PM
|
I took it to the dealer 2 week ago, they had to order a new part, and put some kind of paste stuff to keep the back part of the sterring wheel from moving. Took about 3 days, they didnt charge, but the tech guy scratched the plastic gauge. *shrug* I dont want to take it back cause the sound is gone. That is the only problem i have had so far with the car. Oh ya and the damn funky smell that comes out when u turn on the a/c after u have been parked and crap.

Old 11-18-2008 | 07:11 PM
|
Originally Posted by ovrkast
OMG...my car only has like 1,500 miles on it and now I'm beginning to hear a very similiar rattle like you. It sounds like its coming from the steering wheel, but below the horn area if that makes any sense. It makes the noise when going over rough payment and it sounds like a loose piece of metal of some sort

Also, when pressing down on the plastic trim right behind the steering wheel and where it meets the gauges, I can produce almost the same effect, but this time it sounds more like a creak with plastic on plastic and not metal. Unfortunately, the dealership is about 100 miles away and they don't do warranty work on Saturdays, which happens to be the only time I can make it down there due to my Mon-Fri work schedule
you have the exact same problem as me, just make sure they dont scratch the gauges......

Old 01-13-2009 | 05:26 PM
I also posted this in another thread dealing with the same problem. I have the same issue with my 2008 G35x, which I picked up mid-November. Basically I'd describe the noise as a quiet creak or rattle when I go over bumps in the road. It sounds sort of like a loose spring or something. I isolated the noise to the movable instrument cluster and it stops when I hold the top up with my hand. Not very noticeable, except to us OCD G35 drivers who expect and demand perfection.

I brought the car to the dealer yesterday, today they told me that they're still working on it. Hopefully, they'll be able to locate the noise and repair it with the Infiniti/Nissan "Squeak and Rattle Kit".

I'll let you know what happens...