G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS)

Please somebody can explain how is functioning Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS). When you turn left it supposes to be operated also?? Right side is working Ok.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:03 AM
are you moving? my left side light on turns when im driving, the right side turns as long as im in drive

Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by kool-aid
are you moving? my left side light on turns when im driving, the right side turns as long as im in drive
Yes I am talking about when I moving. I don’t feel like on the curve or turns Left AFS active.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what i remember, they don't turn as much to the left, like only very little (1-2 degrees) because they dont' want you to blind on coming traffic. Some one chime in if you know more.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) will automatically adjust the headlights (low beam) toward the turning direction to improve the driver's view. When the headlight switch is ON and the driver operates the steering wheel in a turn, the AFS system will be activated.

The AFS will operate:

-> When the headlight switch is ON.

-> When the selector lever is in any position other than P (Park) or R (Reverse).

-> When the vehicle is driven at above 16 MPH (25 km/h) for the left-side headlight. Note that the right-side low beam headlight will swivel but the left side will not swivel when the vehicle is at a stop and the steering wheel is turned. The vehicle must attain a speed above 16 MPH (25 km/h) before AFS activates the left-side headlight.

The following users liked this post:
wickedredness (01-20-2014)
Old 10-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by TaBzRx
The Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) will automatically adjust the headlights (low beam) toward the turning direction to improve the driver's view. When the headlight switch is ON and the driver operates the steering wheel in a turn, the AFS system will be activated.

The AFS will operate:

-> When the headlight switch is ON.

-> When the selector lever is in any position other than P (Park) or R (Reverse).

-> When the vehicle is driven at above 16 MPH (25 km/h) for the left-side headlight. Note that the right-side low beam headlight will swivel but the left side will not swivel when the vehicle is at a stop and the steering wheel is turned. The vehicle must attain a speed above 16 MPH (25 km/h) before AFS activates the left-side headlight.
Ok, Thx for explanation. When AFS is active, turns in degrees for the left is the same for the right? If not how different they are. Thank you.

Last edited by highend; 10-26-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
The right turns something like 2 degrees more than the left, but the left does turn more than 2 degrees.
I know I've read the full details in the manual, but I don't have it handy.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Okay, it's not in the manual but I know I've read it somewhere.
I can't find it and this is now driving me nuts. I know it's something like 15-16 degrees and the right side does turn a degree or two more than the left.

The left light does not turn unless you are in a gear other than park or reverse. I think they do this so if you stop on the side of the road at night with your wheels turned left, you won't be blinding oncoming traffic?

It works very well, but it's not so active that you are constantly seeing your lights move. My wife's MDX does not have the AFS option and when I drive that thing at night, I often catch myself trying to see just outside of where the lights hit when I am turning. The G lights the path perfectly.

Also note that the G's AFS also levels the lights upon startup, in case you have a car full of 4 large people or anything else that could change the level of the car.

I think it works well.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Okay, it's not in the manual but I know I've read it somewhere.
I can't find it and this is now driving me nuts. I know it's something like 15-16 degrees and the right side does turn a degree or two more than the left.

The left light does not turn unless you are in a gear other than park or reverse. I think they do this so if you stop on the side of the road at night with your wheels turned left, you won't be blinding oncoming traffic?

It works very well, but it's not so active that you are constantly seeing your lights move. My wife's MDX does not have the AFS option and when I drive that thing at night, I often catch myself trying to see just outside of where the lights hit when I am turning. The G lights the path perfectly.

Also note that the G's AFS also levels the lights upon startup, in case you have a car full of 4 large people or anything else that could change the level of the car.

I think it works well.
Thank you very much for explanation

Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
I have everything on my car except the 4-wheel active steering, and I must say that honestly, except when I pull into a parking space or make a small turn, I don't notice the AFS. I do, however, notice when I'm driving my fiancee's car that doesn't have it! You'd be surprised how much it helps illuminate your sides.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 PM

I didn't notice this until the other day, but I also think the system levels the lights while driving as well. I stopped the other day and was looking at the car in front of me. The lights readjusted upward.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm SO glad I just stumbled upon this thread. I JUST bought my car and could only get the AFS to turn to the right, I thought something was wrong, but I was only trying at a stop, haven't driven it at night yet, so I haven't noticed it actually working on the right, I'm sure it does though, now I know:0) THANKS SO MUCH! I can't wait to see how much it helps!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 PM
The lights do level upon start up as well as having the left/right function.
The idea of these lights are to help light the way on curvy roads and I think Infiniti nailed it here. They work so much better than the adaptives on the Lexus IS. They light the way as they were designed without being so affective that you notice it on every corner.

You are correct in saying that it's difficult in seeing if they are working. Regular driving through town, I'd never notice the difference.
I live in the sticks. I have very narrow roads that are tree covered, they are very curvy, and they do not have any lighting at all.
I hit these roads at night and I definitely can tell the difference between the adaptives being on or off.

Now, our foglights... that's another story.
We'll save that for another thread on another day.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now, our foglights... that's another story.
We'll save that for another thread on another day.
Seriously, don't fog lights need to be lower to the ground to have much effect? To me, our foglights just detract from the pretty white projectors:0(

Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you pull up to a wall and stay on D and stop and turn your steering wheel left and right real fast, you can see the adaptive system work. and the difference is very noticable while driving turn the system on and off in curvy road where its dark and the difference is very noticable. but like it was mentioned earlier it doesnt turn left as much due to safety regulations.