G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Question Regarding ATTESA AWD and Braking / Coasting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Regarding ATTESA AWD and Braking / Coasting

hey guys,

i've only had my Gx a week and a half and i tried researching this question but did not find a specific answer.

i understand that the system will default to RWD under normal conditions after the initial launch, however, when you are braking into a turn or coasting through a turn/downhill (i.e. - conditions when you are not on the gas pedal)will the AWD system still come into play if slip is detected? will it still be as effective? or is it better to be ready to get back on the gas to give the engine more power to distribute?

i would assume the AWD would still pick up and be relatively effective but i would just like to hear it from someone who knows more about it than i do.

thanks guys.

Bob

Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I don't think any AWD system is affective while coasting or braking.
Do I just not understand your question?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wouldn't be matter anyways. In that case your ABS is a better help than your AWD. If you think that way when you have a full time AWD system. It won't do anything if you brake in the corner.

Doesn't matter what kind of car you got FWD , RWD ,AWD braking in the corner at higher speed never a good idea. Brake before the corner and accelerate out of the corner.

I suggest to find an empty parking lot and play with your G. See where the limit is and how it handles. Better than find out on the road.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I don't think any AWD system is affective while coasting or braking.
Do I just not understand your question?
no i think you understand my question just fine. i believe it would come on, but i think i'll recant my statement that it would be relatively effective. logically if you're not on the gas then you can't really supply enough power to the grip wheels.

i'm really just asking because i've never had an awd vehicle and i understand i will need to adapt my driving habits in the poor weather/bad road conditions but i think it will be difficult to adjust so that i'm on the gas more than the brake.

i'm guess i'm just curious as to whether the system is sophisticated enough to still redistribute the wheel power even if the car is slowing down when you're off the throttle.

here's a great example say you're coasting downhill in the rain and hit some standing water and the car begins to move to one side or hydro a little bit. i'm sure everyone has experienced that. if i know it's going to happen i'll typically hit the brake in anticipation. will the X kick into awd and help me out at that point? or is it better to be on the gas?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by tg1234
It wouldn't be matter anyways. In that case your ABS is a better help than your AWD. If you think that way when you have a full time AWD system. It won't do anything if you brake in the corner.

Doesn't matter what kind of car you got FWD , RWD ,AWD braking in the corner at higher speed never a good idea. Brake before the corner and accelerate out of the corner.

I suggest to find an empty parking lot and play with your G. See where the limit is and how it handles. Better than find out on the road.
i completely agree. and thus far i'm pretty comfortable with the limits of the car, i'm just curious as to how intelligent the ATTESA system is, and what it *can't* do.

in low speeds in the snow i suppose this question probably won't matter because ideally you won't be going fast enough to require the brake going into most corners/curves. my questions really apply to "what if the unexpected happens"

Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
The secret is, slow down before you enter a turn and then power through it.
Remember that and you'll be just fine.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
here's a great example say you're coasting downhill in the rain and hit some standing water and the car begins to move to one side or hydro a little bit. i'm sure everyone has experienced that. if i know it's going to happen i'll typically hit the brake in anticipation. will the X kick into awd and help me out at that point? or is it better to be on the gas?
ATESSA will only redistribute power when there is throttle input. In the situation you describe, (VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control), ABS (Anti-Lock Brakes), EBD (Electronic Brake-Force Distribution), and BA (Brake Assist) will take over. You just want to keep the steering wheel straight and let the car do the rest when you hydroplane. No need to use throttle.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 PM
just what i was looking to find out. so once you're off throttle the AWD is semi-useless (although that could easily be the same with most AWD systems, i wouldn't know), but i'm glad to see there are enough other features there to help protect me/you/anyone. i'm going to go read up on the VDC and EBD.

thanks guys.

Bob

Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually, I've tried this on purpose many times in the snow (fishtailing), and to answer your question, I have my foot ready to gas it once i feel the rear slip, the front will catch and correct the car.
If you brake in a fishtail, you'll just continue the fishtail and nothing will help you. This is where you'll need to apply gas and have your front end catch you.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1-way limited slip. only on power. unlocks on coast and brake. you can get 1.5 and 2 way in mech. systems, but if you're asking this question, you don't want those diffs.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The AWD will only come into play if your foot is on the gas pedal. All other times it most likely will not affect the car's dynamics.