G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

3-year review

Old 12-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I have been purchasing Duracells so it's not like I've been buying a cheap brand. Maybe I'll try Energizer next and see if that makes a difference.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gooddeal2
...get the Energizer from Walmart. I put those in mine and it seems better than the original.
what type of battery is it?? is it just that little screw on the key itself to open?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Traveling Administrator
^ It's a 3V lithium battery, model CR2032.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
^ It's a 3V lithium battery, model CR2032.
thank you..

Old 12-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Traveling Administrator
^ No problem. I know the model number off the top of my head now since I've had to buy so many of them recently.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to comment on costs of ownership

At +30k miles thats when the costs start to add up:
All 4 tires for the X
Rear & front brake pads
the 30k mile service

You will be well into 4 figures at that point.

I drive for fun for the most part and most people will probably do +30k miles after +2 years so this should not be a problem. Just be prepared though.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Another 3 year review - overall grade: B+/A-

So since I hit my 3 year mark last week I decided to throw out another long term review. However, this is not a review for the short commuters or garage freaks/weekend drivers. I have put just shy of 50,000 miles on mine in the 3 years I've had mine.

Overall I still love this car but it is not without faults. Minor faults to be sure, but at the 3 year mark thats really all I have to point out and IMO that is a good thing. The drivers side seat, steering wheel trim and automatic shifter trim wore out WAY easier than they should have on a $40k+ car (when I bought it). A small nit maybe but a nit nonetheless. I dont plan on getting any of them repaired and if it bothers me enough I'll find a simple solution for the shifter **** wear.

I have done all of the minor maintenance myself and will never go back to a dealer for it. Infiniti dealers (at least in my area, Northern VA) play a little too fast and loose with their pricing for my comfort. I've found a Jiffy Lube and a local mechanic (tire shop) that have more than treated me right. Not only do the dealers prices vary by up to 25% depending on the dealer you call, I dont understand how one local Infiniti shop quoted me $280 more for the same service than the Nissan dealer next door did - and not only are they next door to each other, they SHARED THE SAME GARAGE BAYS. Again, maybe a minor nit, and maybe I should have anticipated this, and maybe I should call around more and yes an Infiniti is not a Honda - but Infiniti maintenance *pricing* and the pricing practices of the dealers in my area get an F in my book. Maybe others would disagree. But at least I have two places I know the people at now and will go there for my services from now on.

Other than oil changes (synthetic, @ every 7500 miles) and the cabin filter ($11, DIY) I have just replaced all four tires and rear brakes ($400 for the Kuhmo ASXs / $200 for rear brakes). But thats pretty much it. Coming up on the 50,000 mile service probably in February. I plan on getting everything done outside of the dealer if possible because I'm sure in this area the price will easily be over $1,000. Maybe I will take it in for the inspections and tell them thats all I want - I havent decided yet.

The question is, would I buy another Infiniti in the future. Right now for me, the answer is not a definite yes - unless I got a deal with all included maintenance. I just have not been pleased with the dealers in my area but I do about all I can do and voted with my wallet by taking my business elsewhere. I do still LOVE this car but its not a slam dunk that Infiniti would win my business back.

So my overall 3 year grade on this car is a solid B+ or low A-. I still LOVE THIS CAR and I should note that I drive the HELL out of it - I didnt buy it to baby it, I didnt buy it to stick it in the garage or cover it in bad weather. Its an outside, daily driver and will be for the foreseeable future. And IMO it has more than held its own after 3 years on these roads.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Nice. I plan on keeping my G long term too and I know what to looks for. As for the little issues ive had none so far except the brakes TSB and the passenger side Airbag TSB. I used to have a coupe before this and that was a problem child now I'm all grown up. Do you have any plans on mods or just drive it stock.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:21 AM
with the summer tires and the sports package, i put all seasons on in Nov for $900 + mounting and balancing. by March it gets warm enough in NJ for summer tires again so that's another $120. I just checked with my local Nissan dealer and was told they will work on my car for alignment, tire mounting and balancing next time to save a little compare to what Infiniti's charging. Also went to Walmart yesterday for a supposedly $55 oil change that ended up to be $69 bucks because they had to charge me $6.95 for the extra 0.2 qt of oil cuz the $55 rate only covers $5 qts and the G35 takes 5.2. . . really nice that they didn't tell me before hand or I could've done it myself for $35. Besides the vibration I get with these Kumho all seasons >70mph, tread life has been great that I still have > 50% left after 36k miles. I find it odd to get the keyfob battery light after owning the car for a year and the wipers are squeaking but I've yet to find a good place to buy replacements.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by malagabee
...G35 takes 5.2. . . really nice that they didn't tell me before hand or I could've done it myself for $35. Besides the vibration I get with these Kumho all seasons >70mph, tread life has been great that I still have > 50% left after 36k miles. I find it odd to get the keyfob battery light after owning the car for a year and the wipers are squeaking but I've yet to find a good place to buy replacements.
I usually just put anywhere from 4.75 - 5 qts every oil change. You can never completely drain it so it's fine (and it's usually on the dip stick mark for me).

For the wipers, i have the Bosch Icon's, they're great but the passenger side wiper is just a tad too long. I'm thinking of trying the Valeo's next, i think TireRack still has a BOGO offer.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
^ No problem. I know the model number off the top of my head now since I've had to buy so many of them recently.
I suspect you might also know the number well since it's commonly used for the CMOS too. That number has been ingrained into my mental data bank for quite sometime now. lol

Old 12-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Love the car, agree regarding seat wearing out way too soon. I spent the weekend in my brother's 2006 Saab 9-3 convertible and these seats were much more solidly and comfortably constructed than my G's & held up a lot better. Given how much time my @$$ spends in that seat I would hope the newer model G's seats are at least marginally comfortable.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by dohturdima
Love the car, agree regarding seat wearing out way too soon. I spent the weekend in my brother's 2006 Saab 9-3 convertible and these seats were much more solidly and comfortably constructed than my G's & held up a lot better. Given how much time my @$$ spends in that seat I would hope the newer model G's seats are at least marginally comfortable.
Ever sit in the G35S seats? I find them EXTREMELY comfortable. They are worlds better than the seats in my 2003 G35.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I merged the two 3-year review threads into one, and it's now stickied; thought it might be useful for others to add their experiences.

For me, 3 years and 35k miles have gone very smoothly.

Maintenance:
  • Seat heater TSB
  • Sunroof finisher (accordian interior rubber piece) reattached
  • Driver's side window and sunroof greased due to squeaking

Other than that, it's oil changes, one new set of brake pads, and three (count 'em, three) sets of tires But I'll take credit for the fact that a) they're worn on the shoulders due to cornering, and b) I had fun doing it

Leather on driver and passenger seat is creased, which doesn't bother me - it looks like someone's been driving the car... I have the M45 shift ****, switched after the Al scratched, still looks good.

I'm a happy camper, still love the car

Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
I have had my car for 2 years and 9 months and have driven more than 45K miles. :T

As far as maintenance goes... I have spent quite a bit since I only use Motuls for oil change and I have already done diff and tranny fluid change twice (I needed this cuz the way I drive it). lol Air filters have been changed only once since I got my Injen CAI round 15000 miles, and now I have JWT pop chargers. In-cabin filters have been changed with charcoal filters every 15000 miles (3rd one in the car now not including the one came with the car).

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3-year review