G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

3-year review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baileyt35, Nalley Infiniti - Marietta.
Nalley Infiniti -Decatur on the other hand seemed a lot more eager to please. But you live in FL. So this should not be an issue. It would be interesting to hear from other Atlanta residents.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mantar, I actually bought my car from Nalley Infiniti because my sales department here sucked. I occasionally take it into Nalley for oil changes when I'm in Atlanta because I travel there monthly. I never ask them to do any warranty work though, guess they wouldn't do it anyway.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:38 PM
My car was new 11-8-06 and now has 53K plus miles. I really love the car ( my 3rd G-35) but have had a lot of bothersome items. I have an on-going rattle behind the driver's head ( never been fully fixed) , a power window motor has failed, the door trim by the window switches has been replaced up front on both sides, and really the steering wheel has premature wear like the window switch surround but I haven't asked that to be replaced. I have had failure of the CD player which lead to the failure of the entire radio. All of this covered under warranty but the aggravation factor is high, so much so that I almost bought a TSX V-6 this spring but relented at the last moment. I replaced the tires and rear brakes out of pocket but no complaints aboout that. Strange the rear brake pads wore before the front.

I wanted a '09 coupe but couldn't afford it se we bought an Accord V6 EXL coupe in March '09 and absolutly nothing has been done to it except tire rotation and 1 oil change.(8700 miles to date) The car's computer tells you when and what to service. Infiniti should learn from this.

Other comments: The carept and floor mats are cheesey but of better quality than the 1st generation G.

Last edited by willis; 06-06-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-07-2010, 06:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by willis

I wanted a '09 coupe but couldn't afford it se we bought an Accord V6 EXL coupe in March '09 and absolutly nothing has been done to it except tire rotation and 1 oil change.(8700 miles to date) The car's computer tells you when and what to service. Infiniti should learn from this.
Actually your G can be set up to do this too for oil, filter changes and tire rotation and one other optional setting of user's preference. Check your owner manual. I like Infiniti approach: if you want service reminders you can activate them. If you don't, like me, they don't bother me with them.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
So I went to the other Nalley Infiniti dealer in Decatur, GA. He did confirm that rodents chewed my top radiator hose. He replaced that and two clamps , drained the coolant, and refilled it for 170 including giving me a loaner car for two days since the coolant drain took longer than he expected. Reasonable for a dealership. The G37 Journey had slightly smoother accelration and the same Bose Studio on Wheels seemed to sound a tad nicer. Don't know if it was the radio station I was tuned in that day.

He also replaced the side door handle area which was peeled off in places but he did not offer the steering wheel replacement which had similar peeling to a smaller extent. He also replaced , under warranty, one of the four hooks for the netting in the trunk as the old one came out.

However, even he refused to honor the Front brake pads/rotors TSB which I showed to him. He said my front brake pads only had 20% left. So that should be replaced to check for the judder. I might try my luck at another dealer on this. Overall, a decent experience at this location since he did not make me feel bad for wanting to bypass the dealer to get my own tires.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
The G just has manually set maintenance reminders. The Honda's computer tells you when and what service needs to be done. A much better system as oposed to an arbitrary time and or mileage schedule.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better but not much better. I know how long I want between oil or air filters and I put that in and there ya go. Pretty basic stuff.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Tachometer problem

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I have a 2007 Infiniti G35x sedan with Wood, premium, and tech packages, bought used at 21.5k miles. The dealer promised me that it went through the certification process, which ended in replacement of parts after they were 30% worn. I would have to say that they may have deceived me. After about 24k miles of driving myself, I have been experiencing various major (and minor) issues.

One: I had to replace the tires at 23k miles. The tires were pretty bad: I would never recommend Eagle RS-A's. I replaced them with the new Goodyear Eagle GT (Far better tire with 5 year, 50k mile treadlife warranty)

Two: I had to replace the brake pads at 30k miles, even after already replacing them at 14k miles. (This car was bought used at 21k miles and had the brake pads replaced at 14k miles from previous service records)

Three: I had a leak in my power steering that caused the dealership to replace the entire power steering rack at no charge at 35k miles.

Four: I had to get my front disc brakes resurfaced at around 36k miles because the brake pedal was vibrating. There was a TSB on them, and the dealer installed backing plates on these brakes.

Five: I had interior scratches on my steering wheel and the door panel trim handles. I ended up having the dealer replace these for free after complaining. The driver before me caused these scratches. Unlike some other member's experience, the dealer did not give me any trouble in replacing these parts. They did not even ask questions at all. The new parts seem to have different material on them that resist scratching. However, the steering wheel still feels the same, with the same material, so it may be prone to scratching again. I have been careful not to scratch them, and they are still scratchless after 15k miles =)

Six: One time, the battery drained after leaving the car on for an hour in ACC mode. I could not start the car and had to get it jump started from a random guy. Dealer attributed it to a Battery control module issue and replaced it free of charge.

Seven: I had a serpentine drive belt issue that caused the engine to make intermittent squeaking noises. After expressing this issue to the dealer three times before, they finally attributed it to a broken tensioner that caused the belt to shred. This is after I mentioned that I noticed that the squeaking may have been caused by a drive belt. Dealer replaced both of these no charge.

After experiencing this many problems, I am kind of hesitant on what part will fail in my car next. I hope nothing happens for the next five years. *knock on wood* Maybe I have received a lemon?

The car still drives wonderfully, and I still love it, despite the issues I have been experiencing with this vehicle. I have always treated it very well (always on time oil changes, and premium fuel)

PROBLEM NUMBER 8: Now I have an intermittent tachometer problem. When the engine starts, the tachometer still reads 0. While driving, it sticks at 1000 rpm. It happens intermittently, so it works some of the time.

I'm starting to feel like Infiniti quality is not what they used to be like. I really love the car, I do. Having only owned this car for just over a year, I do not think these problems should occur.

*EDIT* I realized that this problem occurred because the car was sitting in the hot sun last weekend (Temps >95 F) and that the heat and sun can cause the tachometer to stop functioning correctly. No wonder when the dealer tested it in the garage after leaving the car off for 30 minutes, the problem did not happen again. Since the problem is hard to duplicate, I am forced to live with it unless the temperatures go above 90 F again and the car is left out in the sun for a couple hours...I do not know what to do to get the dealer to acknowledge my problem.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-08-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Okay...I just bought my 2008 last weekend (still at the dealer for some minor things) and after reading some of these posts, I have to say I am now nervous about this car. Tires, gas mileage, brakes....seems like this thing might be more maintenance and costly than what I had expected. I have been driving a 2001 infiniti i30 for 6 years now and it has been an incredibly reliable and cost effective car. I assumed (my bad) that this car would be similar.
Hopefully the driving enjoyment will counter all the negatives!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
^ something to keep in mind, we here at the forums are a relatively small population of G owners. People posting of issues far outnumber the number of people who post saying they don't have problems with their vehicles.

If i was in your position (actually, i was), i would take it as a blessing that i am aware of what could go wrong, *if* something goes wrong. And on the grand scheme of things, the issues we encounter are relatively tame compared to other makes and models.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Good points! thanks!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Soundmike hit the nail on the head. You cant assume you will have the same problem(s), if any. Also, who knows how some owners treat there G. I have had mine 3 years and never had a problem. It's one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Sticky, a big thanks for all your posts. you alone make the group worth while!!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 PM
Do you guys forget that this is a sports car with serious brakes, they are going to continue to be a problem especially if you drive and S and drive it fast.

As far as little plastic pieces how do you get the dealer to repair those, they told me they wouldn't do it..... I am second owner of the car.

I have a sqeaky/squishy sound coming from the front suspension from time to time, like a shock or bushing. Anyone else get this and will dealer fix it or what was your quick fix?

Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBanks
Do you guys forget that this is a sports car with serious brakes, they are going to continue to be a problem especially if you drive and S and drive it fast.

As far as little plastic pieces how do you get the dealer to repair those, they told me they wouldn't do it..... I am second owner of the car.

I have a sqeaky/squishy sound coming from the front suspension from time to time, like a shock or bushing. Anyone else get this and will dealer fix it or what was your quick fix?
heh...yes you're right. But even at the dealer, they told me it was ridiculous for the brake pads to have to be replaced in 14,000 miles. Actually, what was weird is that my front brakes never had to be replaced (already has almost 35k on it) while my rear brakes had to be done by 14k...Seem fishy to you?

The previous owner of my car had gotten the front and rear brakes replaced at 14k miles, according to the service records the dealer provided me. I bought this car at 21k miles, and had to get the rear brakes only replaced at 28k miles. Right now my car has 48k miles, and the fronts are still fine (4 mm) while the rear brakes are at 6mm...Plus, I don't drive an S and I certainly don't slam on the brakes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3-year review