G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

3-year review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Thanks for that thread link soundmike. I'll call up my dealer and see if I can't get them to replace the trim. It bothers me on a daily basis.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
No prob. Good luck with it! My dealership won't replace mine since i'm out of warranty... which really sucks.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:39 AM
low miles

my 07 only has 19k miles. Being deployed all the time, the G stays parked. She showed me a lot before I deployed this last time. I was driving home from dropping my family off at the airport, all depressed from having to leave and the fam leaving, I decided to punch it. The ride was so smooth I noticed I hit 125 with ease. When I realized what I had just done and my nerves started to calm down looking for cops I knew the engine was coming into itself. I cant wait to get home and drive. Everyone will be trying hit the highway on our bikes, but the G needs more of the attention!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:31 PM
hey guys, i just had a general question about intakes, im not an expert id really appreciate some advice, im stuck between choosing the stillen gen 2 intake or the injen for my 2007 g35 (HR) sedan, i heard injen sits fairly low and i live in an area which sees a lot of rain throughout the year, and would anyone know how much hp each of them provide? i already have the stillen catback exhaust....

Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Sandman88
hey guys, i just had a general question about intakes, im not an expert id really appreciate some advice, im stuck between choosing the stillen gen 2 intake or the injen for my 2007 g35 (HR) sedan, i heard injen sits fairly low and i live in an area which sees a lot of rain throughout the year, and would anyone know how much hp each of them provide? i already have the stillen catback exhaust....
check the engine section of this forum there enough info about it

Old 05-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by JMZ_blkobsidian
All,

I've been posting here periodically since getting my '07 G35S 5AT sedan with Premium and Navigation on 12/6/2006.

In the past three years, I've thoroughly enjoyed the car. I love the styling (and think it looks far better than the 3-series), the quality, and the driving dynamics.

Over the past three years I have had to spend (or have done):

Oil changes - $39 per oil change, 3X a year, for 3 years = $351.
in-cabin air filter - $12 at Pep Boys (DIY).
New tire (because I drove over a roofing nail) - $225.

So, not counting the tire, total maintenance has been $363 for 3 years. Not bad.

The car has had zero squeaks, zero rattles, zero maintenance or reliability issues. It has 15,300 miles on it now. The interior shows no signs of wear on either seats, dash, or *****/buttons.

Overall, I still could not be happier with the purchase decision. I still look back on it when I walk away in parking lots, and still can't wait to get behind the wheel.

My only gripes:

- Thicker, more plush carpeting would be appreciated
- Thicker, richer leather would be appreciated (though this seems to be getting addressed).
- Tire life...front tires are nearly bald after 15,300 miles on not-very-spirited driving.

I enjoy the car as much today as the day I got it, and will probably keep it another 3 years. (That will be my 40th bday, when I'll probably get an M56 or E550).

Thanks for the review. Wow, that is some seriously low miles. Bought my 2008 used with 29,000 mint condiction. Only have had it for a little over a month and already my wife calls it "the other woman".

I'm 55 and its the first car I've ever really bought for my own pleasure without regard to being practical. Ironically, its also the first car I've ever bought without financing it. It's mine ALL MINE. Oh, sorry, got carried away.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
I have a 2007 Infiniti G35x sedan with Wood, premium, and tech packages, bought used at 21.5k miles. The dealer promised me that it went through the certification process, which ended in replacement of parts after they were 30% worn. I would have to say that they may have deceived me. After about 24k miles of driving myself, I have been experiencing various major (and minor) issues.

One: I had to replace the tires at 23k miles. The tires were pretty bad: I would never recommend Eagle RS-A's. I replaced them with the new Goodyear Eagle GT (Far better tire with 5 year, 50k mile treadlife warranty)

Two: I had to replace the brake pads at 30k miles, even after already replacing them at 14k miles. (This car was bought used at 21k miles and had the brake pads replaced at 14k miles from previous service records)

Three: I had a leak in my power steering that caused the dealership to replace the entire power steering rack at no charge at 35k miles.

Four: I had to get my front disc brakes resurfaced at around 36k miles because the brake pedal was vibrating. There was a TSB on them, and the dealer installed backing plates on these brakes.

Five: I had interior scratches on my steering wheel and the door panel trim handles. I ended up having the dealer replace these for free after complaining. The driver before me caused these scratches. Unlike some other member's experience, the dealer did not give me any trouble in replacing these parts. They did not even ask questions at all. The new parts seem to have different material on them that resist scratching. However, the steering wheel still feels the same, with the same material, so it may be prone to scratching again. I have been careful not to scratch them, and they are still scratchless after 15k miles =)

Six: One time, the battery drained after leaving the car on for an hour in ACC mode. I could not start the car and had to get it jump started from a random guy. Dealer attributed it to a Battery control module issue and replaced it free of charge.

Seven: I had a serpentine drive belt issue that caused the engine to make intermittent squeaking noises. After expressing this issue to the dealer three times before, they finally attributed it to a broken tensioner that caused the belt to shred. This is after I mentioned that I noticed that the squeaking may have been caused by a drive belt. Dealer replaced both of these no charge.

After experiencing this many problems, I am kind of hesitant on what part will fail in my car next. I hope nothing happens for the next five years. *knock on wood* Maybe I have received a lemon?

The car still drives wonderfully, and I still love it, despite the issues I have been experiencing with this vehicle. I have always treated it very well (always on time oil changes, and premium fuel)

EDIT:
After owning this car for another year, here is another list of problems I've been having:

1. Door wood trim was peeling off. Dealer replaced under warranty.
2. Instrument panel/gauge had to be replaced because the tachometer was stuck at between 1k and 2k when car was turned off while hot. Dealer replaced under warranty.
3. Passenger seat had to be replaced due to airbag sensor malfunction. Dealer replaced under warranty.
4. Wheel bearing had to be changed out at 57k miles. Premature compared to other cars I've owned. Dealer replaced under warranty.
5. There is a loud whirring noise coming from the gas cap door when you engage the power locks during the cold. The dealer heard and saw it, but said it was normal. To me, it wasn't normal because it didn't happen before! You can hear the noise from the cabin.
6. More often in the cold, when accelerating from stop, you can hear and feel a buzzing noise coming from the bottom of the car.
7. When the weather is hot, when accelerating from stop, you can hear a creaking noise coming from the bottom of the car.
8. This isn't a problem, but I had to take off heat shields from my catalytic converter since they were rusted out.

My car now has 67.4k miles on her, and I really hope that my car can last a bit longer than that.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-20-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
The dealer promised me that it went through the certification process, which ended in replacement of parts after they were 30% worn. I would have to say that they may have deceived me...
Certification is based on the condition of the car at the time of sale. Much like anything, even brand new cars, something will happen eventually.

On your other points.

One: I had to replace the tires at 23k miles.
This isn't really Infiniti's fault, is it?

Two: I had to replace the brake pads at 30k miles...

No comment here, driving styles differ.

Five:However, the steering wheel still feels the same, with the same material, so it may be prone to scratching again. I have been careful not to scratch them, and they are still scratchless after 15k miles =)
You should be okay now. Many have received the fix and nobody has reported any scratching issues at all.

Six: One time, the battery drained after leaving the car on for an hour in ACC mode.
Module or not, extended use of the battery alone can drain it. If you've had your battery for a while, its reserve capacity is likely lower than when it was new. And the OEM batteries aren't all that powerful to begin with.

Seven: I had a serpentine drive belt issue that caused the engine to make intermittent squeaking noises.

If you still have the squeak/screech noise, have your AC checked. Mine was replaced under warranty at 14k miles when i bought it used.

After experiencing this many problems, I am kind of hesitant on what part will fail in my car next. I hope nothing happens for the next five years. *knock on wood* Maybe I have received a lemon?

Definitely not a lemon. Most of the issues you've mentioned are wear/tear.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
I understand your points:

However, the brakes were a major problem before. I never had to replace them in other cars for a while. I don't blame infiniti, I just blame the dealer for leading me on false pretenses. The brakes were probably really bad already, since the first week I got it, I was told that the brake pads had to be replaced, after the dealer had told me it went through the certification process and they replaced all parts that were 30% worn or more. I've never seen this problem before. There is no way on earth brakes would have to be replaced at 14k miles, even if the driving was aggressive. The funny part was, I was told that the brakes had to be replaced a week after this: I drove an additional 8k miles running 2mm left on the pads. It was definitely not my driving style. Right now, after almost 20k miles, my brake pads are still around 6mm...this just shows that the person before me probably drove it like hell.

Now on my other points: No matter if they are wear and tear parts, they shouldn't wear and tear at this early in its life. The lexuses I own never had any maintenance issues, except the recalls that had to be done. The serpentine belt did not have to be replaced even at 85k miles on my LS, so far 65k miles on my ES, and 68k miles on my Honda Odyssey. If the parts were indeed wear and tear, I would have to pay for these problems. In fact, the dealer took care of them under warranty, suggesting that it was a defect itself, not a wear and tear problem.

There were many other times I went to the dealer for: peeling door rubber trim, faulty sidelight marker, etc...I don't think anyone here has experienced as many trips to the dealer as I have.

About the battery: I had it tested right away, and they said that the battery life was excellent. There was nothing wrong with the battery. There is no way that a battery should die within one hour. It was left on because the window tint guy had to use it for window up/down purposes while tinting my windows. He said never in his lifetime (14 years of doing this) had he ever had a car die on him like that.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 05-26-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Again, no contest about your brake issues as i have nothing to relate to except that i've changed pads way earlier than a 14k interval but only because of track.

The '07 was the first model year of the 2nd gen, it's not perfect. I've had my fair share of issues with the car myself, but all have been taken care of (except the peeling) and it's been a trouble-free ride for the past 35k+ miles. My previous car, a Maxima, was somewhat similar, issues at first but then went on without trouble for the next 120k+ miles (and counting).

My OEM battery lasted less than 3 years, it was fine when it went to the dealer for a check-up. Less than a couple months later, it was dead. The OEM battery does not have a large reserve capacity when the engine is off. Even aftermarket HD batteries will only give you an hour or so, unless you went with a blue/red or yellow-top.

I brought up W&T because a couple of your suspected items are W&T items. Batteries and Tires are W&T, and dealerships do cover (prorate in some cases) them to a certain point under warranty.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 08 was a lease return with 24K. Before they put it out FS they put new tires, rear brakes done at 18K and the belt replaced at 21K. I replaced my dead battery at 25K. I had them replace the wheel because of scratching issues.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 PM
lemon law only applies to new cars and for the states I've dealt with you have to have the same problem serviced >3 times and make the claim within 1st 12K miles.

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I have a 2007 Infiniti G35x sedan with Wood, premium, and tech packages, bought used at 21.5k miles. The dealer promised me that it went through the certification process, which ended in replacement of parts after they were 30% worn. I would have to say that they may have deceived me. After about 24k miles of driving myself, I have been experiencing various major (and minor) issues.

One: I had to replace the tires at 23k miles. The tires were pretty bad: I would never recommend Eagle RS-A's. I replaced them with the new Goodyear Eagle GT (Far better tire with 5 year, 50k mile treadlife warranty)

Two: I had to replace the brake pads at 30k miles, even after already replacing them at 14k miles. (This car was bought used at 21k miles and had the brake pads replaced at 14k miles from previous service records)

Three: I had a leak in my power steering that caused the dealership to replace the entire power steering rack at no charge at 35k miles.

Four: I had to get my front disc brakes resurfaced at around 36k miles because the brake pedal was vibrating. There was a TSB on them, and the dealer installed backing plates on these brakes.

Five: I had interior scratches on my steering wheel and the door panel trim handles. I ended up having the dealer replace these for free after complaining. The driver before me caused these scratches. Unlike some other member's experience, the dealer did not give me any trouble in replacing these parts. They did not even ask questions at all. The new parts seem to have different material on them that resist scratching. However, the steering wheel still feels the same, with the same material, so it may be prone to scratching again. I have been careful not to scratch them, and they are still scratchless after 15k miles =)

Six: One time, the battery drained after leaving the car on for an hour in ACC mode. I could not start the car and had to get it jump started from a random guy. Dealer attributed it to a Battery control module issue and replaced it free of charge.

Seven: I had a serpentine drive belt issue that caused the engine to make intermittent squeaking noises. After expressing this issue to the dealer three times before, they finally attributed it to a broken tensioner that caused the belt to shred. This is after I mentioned that I noticed that the squeaking may have been caused by a drive belt. Dealer replaced both of these no charge.

The car still drives wonderfully, and I still love it, despite the issues I have been experiencing with this vehicle. I have always treated it very well (always on time oil changes, and premium fuel)

Old 05-31-2010, 08:47 PM
My '07 is 3 yrs and 3mo old . I had General Exclaim tires for just 90 freaking dollars a piece replaced around 22,000 miles. . Definitely better than the original tires which were Goodyear Eagle RS.

I am ready to replace them at 45,500 miles. Live in a southern climate, so icy roads is a once in a year issue. I like to drive fast. It is a sedan. So road noise reduction would be a factor. It does rain a lot these days in Atlanta. ANy good suggestions?

My Infiniti dealer is being a dick. They promised to remove the clear bra( a weird partial install that came with the car that I did not like aesthetically and it failed to cover the front end anyway, just the top third of the hood). But they ahve been stalling on that.

I got all my oil changes done with them except for 15K service until the 30K interval. For the 30K service, i went to their sister Infiniti dealership with which they share records because they offered a better price and they seemed friendlier and I was still steamed they stalled on the removal of the clear bra. After a Nissan dealer botched an oil change, they got another $250 worth of business. Yet, this new service advisor is acting like a jerk when it comes to warranty inquiries.
1) The Interior trim and steering wheel peeling. He flat out told me to forget it on both counts. He gave me some explanation that it was for customers who got every service done in case the local regional something (he gave me abbreviation which I forget) failed to reimburse them for the parts. he said he was able to do it only for 2 customers this year and didnt think he would be able to get it done for others. The fact that I bought my car there , got a few services done, and even got a bumper replaced due to some accident at their bodyshop wasnt good enough for them.
2) Radiator hoses were spotted by the Nissan dealer to be worn with a slight coolant leak when they inspected them during hte 45K service a week ago. They advised me to check with Infiniti dealer. Infiniti guy says rats chewed them. No coverage. If that is the case, i dont blame him. But I will go to another Infiniti dealer for a second opinion.
3) The sporadic rare knock I hear in the dashboard area between teh Radio and the Steering wheel. He acknowledged it as a problem but told me that his fix made things worse for most customers. So he advised against it.
4) Brake rotors TSB. He pretty much said it was not an issue. I initially asked about pads and rotors. But then I asked, what if I replaced the pads at my expense, would they work on the rotors. He said he doubted it. I have experienced some brade judder when braking suddenly at speeds greater than 30-40.

I have experienced very intermittent rattling of the speakers(got Bose Studio on Wheels) when playing something with heavy bass. I did not even bring it up with him.
The ECM fix under warranty worked fine for me. Acceleration is smoother and more reliable. I know some of the other drivers here had mixed results.

Last edited by mantar; 05-31-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 PM
tires and trim

I have the falken ze912s on, and they're pretty awesome, i live in an area where it tends to rain alot and these tires handle water with ease, and are cheaper than many other brands, hate the stock bridestone potenzas worst tires ever and are ridiculously priced, in regards to ice, mine i s a rwd so cant help you with that one but i have gone through minor icy conditions with them and the faired okay but if icy roads are a major concern id look into nokian, and for the trim, ive complained about it too, you can almost rub off that material but my dealership din help me out with it either.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mantar, what dealer have you gone to that has given you absolutely no help? I would like to know so I don't buy my next Infiniti from them, they are totally useless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3-year review