G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G Owners, please advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G Owners, please advise

Hello, I am new, and highly interested in the G sedan for my next purchase. I currently have an 08 TL-S, but really leaning towards a G35, G37 very soon. I spent some time at Modern Infinity, here in Greensboro, NC and looked at an 08. I have one more year on my lease, but the payoff is several K less than what the car is valued at...so I am ahead of the game and want to take advantage of it before my lease is due, FEB '11.

I was just curious, please inform me of any thing I need to look for, problems with the 08, 09. This is my first RWD purchase (and yes, i know RWD>FRW) so I am exited- but how about the maintenace, and reliablity, compared to the Acura, honda. The salesman offered me really good numbers, I just wanted to post a thread before I pull the trigger on one. I have been apart of Acurazine for a while, and this is my first venture to the G side, please let me know how it is (from the other side of the fence )

tia,

J.O.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than the silly heated seat issues of the 07/08's I haven't had any major issues with mine (07 G35x)

Some quality issues like the sunroof trim coming off, battery losing charge after a few weeks of not being used, but nothing that couldn't be resolved in a few minutes (or hours if you're charging the battery)

Welcome to the fold

Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
You'll be getting a G35/37 w/ a warranty (unless it's above the mileage limit, so BE SURE to have all the TSBs (Tech Service Bulletins) performed. These have addressed issues such as the sunroof trim and throttle sensitivity. These are great cars, and I think you'll have a lot more fun in your G (although Acuras are fine cars too). Infinitis w/ v6s have been very reliable. The only real negatives in the Infiniti line are those w/ the 5.6l v8 but I believe they've gotten that motor dialed in and it should be much improved when it's being introduced in the new M sedan. Enjoy your "upgrade" to Infiniti and welcome to the site!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:02 PM
thanks guys, and I will make sure that I follow up on the TSB's- also, after being in the G today, i have no doubt that it is considered an "uprade" plus, the RWD factor (driving expeirence) mached with the more HP, Torque of the VQ, is what I am really interested to discover thanks again,

J.O.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I test drove the TL-S it and have had 02 Maxima and an 06 Altima Se-r. They just didnt do it for me. I test drove a G35 and that was it I just had to have one. Its great no more death grip on the steering wheel when I floor it worrying if the torque steer going to steer is going to land me onto a me into a ditch!! Overall phenomenal car no complaints at all!!! The only other contender was the BMW 335 which is also a great car but the idea of spending 40K plus for a used one and $900.00 to change the front brakes just didn't sit well with me. For the money there is no other car (in my opinion) that offers the whole package Good luck

Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 PM
RCK
Also test drove the TL-S and chose the G35S6MT. FWD torque steer wasn't a major issue for me because I had just come off a FWD Passat. Deciding factor beside the power was the G's handling and stick.

If you get the manual, the stick & clutch may take some getting used to. Long clutch with high engagement point, which is troublesome for some. I found adjusting the seat further back and lower was very helpful. Stick is slightly stiff with short, tight throws, which I like a lot. There was a slave cylinder TSB for the 07's which I hear was taken care of in the 08 production.

The G is the best car out there for the price. Very sexy and powerful looking. The BMW 335 may be better mechanically but not by much. And some, including me, prefer the japanese handling: somewhat hefty but nimble.

Welcome to the thrill of it!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
09 has the new 7-speed trans which has not been tested in the market for very long. The 08 has the 5-speed trans which has been around since at least the 02 Q45 (V8).

Not saying the 7-speed trans is bad, it's just an unknown. The 5-speed has been very reliable, even at high mileage.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
I had an 08 TL that I bought new. I put 62k miles on it (and spent a fair amount of time on Acurazine in the process) and enjoyed it for what it was - a very nice Honda Accord that looked really sporty. I sold it because I wanted RWD and a manual. Like others have said, I looked at BMWs (3 and 5 series) but since this car is going to be around for a while and get a lot of miles put on (120 mile rt commute), I was concerned about the long term costs after end of warranty.

I was lucky and found a used 08 G35 S with 25k miles about 2 months ago. I am very pleased with the car and really enjoy driving it. The TL was nice and pleasant, the G is downright fun. I like to think of it as a very refined 4 door Mustang.

If great handling and power are important, then go for it. The fact that the car seems to be very well put together and looks really good are definite plusses. I know I don't find myself wishing I still had my TL.

One bit of advice, if you get a stick, do the "clutch fix #2", it makes a world of difference.

Good luck in your search!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM
One more thing, have them check the service history - I did on mine and it was another reason why I bought it, it had been very well maintained.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Only problem I've had was a coolant sensor malfunction, steering wheel rattles on turns (dealer says from my cupped tires). That's all the major stuff I can think off.