G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

New to G35 - Glad to be here...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to G35 - Glad to be here...

After having a love/hate relationship with my Jaguar for the last 5 years, I bought a 08 G35 S sedan w/18k miles on it, (blue slate/graphite) I have to say, the G is superior to my former Jag in every possible way. I am honestly blown away by how good this car really is.

I think the person who originally purchased it didn't really go out of his way to take care of it. I spent most of the weekend detailing it and getting it the way it should look. My guess is that it was a lease which hopefully means the oil was changed as scheduled but since I never leased a car, I am not sure if that is a requirement.

I have a wierd question. Can someone tell me if there is supposed there is supposed to be black cloth under the grill of tte center channel speaker? If I look at the center channel (through the windshield), I can see the speaker. It seems like there should be something besides the grill to protect it from the sun. I am trying to figure out if my dash was taken apart at some point and if so, for what?

I have an appointment at the dealer for Wednesday morning for an oil change and also so I can get to meet/know the people there. I got to know the Jag people very well and it's a good thing I did. Anyway, I will ask them if there are records of the car being serviced before. Anything I should have them check wi the car having 18k on it and still under warranty?

Thanks for all the great info you guys have put on this forum. Hopefully I can be a contributing member.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
hmmm I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. I'm kinda new to the G35 as well. Bought mine not a long ago. Not familiar with the interior as much as Exterior. ...
Guys who know this should help you out soon here...

Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. It was late last night when I typed that post so it may have not made sense.

Basically, if you are standing outside of your G35 in the front door/front fender area and you lean over to look in through the windshield at the center channel speaker, can you see the actual speaker itself under the speaker grill OR do you just see the speaker grill and a piece of black fabric below the grill (to protect the speaker from the sun)? On my G, I can see the speaker. On my wife's car (Toyota), you can't see the speaker because there is fabric under the speaker grill.

When the Infiniti girl voice talks, it sounds like the center channel may be blown or dried out especially when she says something with the letter S. It's definitely not clear. Music sounds ok though so I am really not sure what the problem is.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I'll check when I go out for lunch today.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with speakers on the top of the dash and they cooked in the sun... needed to be replaced about 5 years into the car. Dealer wanted mad money too, something like $500- for the pair. I bought a brand new OEM pair off of eBay for $80 and took about an hour to install, but I digress.

I'll look for you at lunch if nobody responds sooner.
Congrats on the new wheels.... nice color combo BTW!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Yes thats normal you can see the speaker through the grill, that the spkr for the nav/phone i believe

Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BMW
welcome

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome! Good idea on visiting the dealer and starting a relationship. You obviously know why this is such a good idea (being a former owner of a jag...).

Nice color combo, and as always when you get a chance, post up some pics!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies.

I think the center channel is used for music as well as phone/nav. I don't know. It's a two channel system so maybe it isn't. Either way I just found the documentation on how to replace it and it is much easier than I thought. You do it from the top of the dash and not underneath.

On to another topic...
Whoever last changed the oil in the car should be executed. It defintiely wasn't Infiniti. I've only had the car a couple of says so yesterday I scheduled an appointment to take the car to Inifniti to have the oil changed. I normally do this myself but like I said, I want to get to know those guys at the dealer in a good way before I need them for something major. Just out of curiousity, I looked under the car to see where the oil filter was and noticed that some of the screws that hold the plastic cover underneath the car were screwed in on angles. Can you imagine the genius that can't even screw a screw in straight? Some are even missing. I know for sure Carmax changed the oil last since that is where I bought it. Once I saw those screws i figured I'd better check to see if there is even oil in the car. I promise you, there is at least a quart too much oil in it. I was going to drain some out because I didn't want to drive at all that way but my ramps kept sliding as I was trying to drive up them. So today, the car sits in the garage until I take it to Infiniti tomorrow.

I have bought several cars at Carmax, all with good luck and without problems. This particular car was transferred so it was the clown at that Carmax who did changed the oil. Once I get out of the Infiniti dealer tomorrow, I am taking my receipt to the manager at Carmax and telling him the problems and demand they reimburse me for the oil change.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Ramps scare the **** out of me. LOL
Try what others have done.... use a few 2x12's with angles cut on the ends, laying on top of each other. This sorta makes a ramp-like platform for getting the car up a bit.

Ramps are too high for an oil change anyway. The draining oil ends up missing the hole in the plastic belly and gets all over the place. Bringing the car up less or bring it up evenly helps to avoid this from happening.
Myself, I just pay the dealer to change the oil for me

Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Ramps scare me too. I agree about the height thing as well but the ramps I have seem lower than most. My jag was all wheel drive so it would climb the ramps rather than push them. I like the 2 X 12's idea. I may try that.

Hopefully Infiniti replaces the couple of missing screws in that plastic piece underneath while it's there tomorrow. I am assuming they take that piece off to do the oil changes anyway.

It was about $65 for the Jag dealer to change the oil in my Jag when I had it. About how much does Infiniti charge?

Thanks