G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Newbie questions - please be kind

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Newbie questions - please be kind

Ok I've used the search feature, read reviews, etc. I apologize in advance as I'm sure some of this stuff has already been discussed.

I've been a loyal Maxima owner for over ten years....on my third one right now. I drive about 4 -5K a month and am a motorsports enthusiast...however because I need to be practical I've always purchased Maximas. Its one of the few four door "sports" sedans available in a manual at a decent price.

My car was recently totaled in the hail storm and since they don't make them in manuals right now I'll be moving on. Looking for an 08 or newer with a manual around 25K. Currently looking at the TL, IS250 and G35.

Few questions about the G 35:

School me on this clutch issue I keep reading about. Is it the engagement point? Why is it referred to as "grabby"?

What kind of MPGs are you guys seeing?

Anything else I should know about this car?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
I have an 05 so things will be different on certain points. The Grabby part means that the clutch is not easy for noobs. Honda and acura transmission are very smooth and even nooblets can shift and make it seem smooth. The nissan is very precise and very touchy. You need to be very good with rev matching and such since transmission just wants to grab and go and jerk. The engagement point is high on the car and compared to other vehicles will cause you to stall out.

You have a nissan product so you should have an easier time transitioning. I would make sure you hold out for a 6mt. Seems like you really enjoy the manual transmission and in your search you will have a hard time finding a quality condition 6mt. Wait it out and take your time and find something that has been maintained.

I am getting on average 21-22mpgs and do around 60% city and 40% highway. I try to shift around 3500rpm or earlier and everyday make sure to open her up on the roads and on-ramps. The car is a beast and handles amazing but the transmission takes some time getting use to. Some common issues are the clutch pedal can tend to stick upon return and what seems to be the case most of the time is clutch fluid or one of the cylinders. This usually happens on hot days and heavy shifting/traffic. The fly wheel is a dual mass flywheel and very $$$$. Aftermarket you can get a lightened flywheel and clutch but they will make a little more noise than stock.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenlawnracing

Anything else I should know about this car?

Thanks in advance,

Rich
Well for one, "a motorsports enthusiast" should appreciate that it's rear wheel drive; Maximas and TLs definitely aren't.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is was weird in the beginning, you have to drive one to see. But there are DIY to make it feel amazing! If you're in so cal you can check mine out... I love mine! My gas is about 20/gal... But I an a VERY "spirited" driver, I drive it pretty hard because I have a Prius when I need mpgs and you can also see I have a lot of performance mods.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ faiz and vq summed it up quite nicely anything i say would be a repeat... other than to make the mt fun to drive, do the spring removal DIY from this forum and it makes driving so much fun and nearly flawless, i have had this car for over 4 years 54k+ miles and have stalled out TWICE total, once was on the first day i bought it cause i was not aware that the engagement point was so high compared to all other cars where the clutch engagement is right off the floor. This does however help in high rev driving and makes it fun, quick and easier imo.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:30 AM
^ ahh man Kul beat me to the only 'new' point i had to add lol, no worries...

also i get 22-23mpg with 70% highway cruising. city is 18-20mpg

Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
engagement point is almost at the end of letting go of the clutch pedal, and grabs pretty good, which i like but hate the small engagement gap
I filled up today with 70$ >_<

Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 AM
^ how does $76 sound?

Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Honestly, you can drop the IS250 from your lineup.
Once I drove that, I determined there was no "sport" in that sport sedan and moved on.
TL and G were the final two and the G won for me, but both were nice in their own way.

I suggest driving both if you havent done so already.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What are MPGs like during an highway only trip going about 80?

So consensus is that the clutch grabs very quickly, so from a dead stop its a little hard to be smooth? No complaints otherwise?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I drive an 07 5at and all hwy 6 days a week, before I installed my intakes I was seeing about 24/25 mpg if I kept my foot out of her @ roughly 70mph ave. Since installing the intakes I have actually seen an increase in mpg of about 2 per gallon, IF I keep my foot out of her. I'm sure with a 6mt you would be able to maximize mpg by shifting at lower RPM's. Be weary though the G is extremely fun to drive and you will probably want to drive it hard.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Best I have done is 27.7 in my 5AT over a 45 mile drive to work with a 50/50 mix of back roads and highway with several stop lights. You really have to concentrate on your driving style to get those numbers but it can be done.
With a heavy foot and very spirited driving, I get 19.9 MPG daily.

If MPG is a major concern, the G may not be the best choice of cars.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
^whs, seriously considered both the IS and TL before purchasing the G, IS is not as sporty as it would appear, has a cramped back seat and is overpriced IMO. The TL, as stated earlier is FWD and would not be the best for a spirited driver. It is a great car though, it came down to the wire between the two before I purchased my G a few months ago. My verdict: no regrets!

Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is a 5AT and avg 18.3 in town. Only a couple of hwy only trips and got 22.5 - 23.0 with cruise set on 75 mph. Gas mileage is the only let down about the car.

I considered the IS350 but as others have stated it was rather cramped in the back seat. Also, considerably more $$$. IS250 was too underpowered for me.

My wife has an '08 TL and it is a great car too; just not the same level of performance. If gas mileage is a concern, she's getting 23.5 - 24.5 mixed and 27.5+ hwy only.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by KulG35
Is was weird in the beginning, you have to drive one to see. But there are DIY to make it feel amazing! If you're in so cal you can check mine out... I love mine! My gas is about 20/gal... But I an a VERY "spirited" driver, I drive it pretty hard because I have a Prius when I need mpgs and you can also see I have a lot of performance mods.

This DIY that he speaks of is an awesome mod for 6mt. It helps you feel more connected with the transmission and easily feel the engagement point and handle the clutch pedal. The spring is a buffer and absorbs the feel of the clutch. With the spring out of the way you have a easier time launching the car and changing through gears. It cost $0 and something everyone should try for 1 week and decide if it makes a nice difference or not.

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...-complete.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...t-feeling.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie questions - please be kind