G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Need your opinion on rotors!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need your opinion on rotors!

Im due for new rotors.From your guys experience what kind should I buy,should i stick to oem?or is there better rotors out there?

For an 08 g35 sedan Journey,no brembo

Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
R1Concept Premium rotors, best 1pc rotors you can get at a great low price imo!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Love my racing brake rotors, 2 pc cross drilled/slotted

Old 07-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 on R1Concept

Old 07-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
As I type this I am getting new rotors installed that I bought from Brakemotive on ebay. The pads are powerstop and the rotors came in powerstop boxes as well. They are drilled and slotted and were really inexpensive. My car is an S.

I did many many hours of research and I got the feeling that most inexpensive rotors are very similar despite the difference in prices.

I'll post up a review later this weekend.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
If you buy rotors on ebay, make sure the rotors came drilled from the manufacturer, and the company you are purchasing from isn't one of those that takes blanks and drills them in house before they send the rotors out to you.

Ebay drilled rotors have been known to crack because drilling blanks weakens the integrity of the rotor and added heat and pressure is just too much for the rotor. Slotted on the other hand, isn't as big of an issue.

Unless your car is going to be seeing lots of track time, you don't really need the extra cooling of drilled rotors, but slotted can help performance as the slots help suck the brake pads to the rotor.

If anything, for a daily driver, your selection of brake pads would be a bigger factor of performance here. The rest would really be just for looks.

Last edited by dofu; 07-01-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rollo
As I type this I am getting new rotors installed that I bought from Brakemotive on ebay. The pads are powerstop and the rotors came in powerstop boxes as well. They are drilled and slotted and were really inexpensive. My car is an S.

I did many many hours of research and I got the feeling that most inexpensive rotors are very similar despite the difference in prices.

I'll post up a review later this weekend.

I got the same ones. Not a bad deal. Didn't have a chance with the winter though. Rotors are already rusty after 1 winter.

These are factory drilled and slotted.

If you are in the south where you dont see any salt from the winters, these are a great option. If you are up north, may want to paint the rotor fins and hubs to prevent it from rusting.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
r1concept or stoptech

Old 07-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ocuriel
I got the same ones. Not a bad deal. Didn't have a chance with the winter though. Rotors are already rusty after 1 winter.

These are factory drilled and slotted.

If you are in the south where you dont see any salt from the winters, these are a great option. If you are up north, may want to paint the rotor fins and hubs to prevent it from rusting.
I just got back from picking them up and they look great. I bedded them in and so far no problems. If they rust they will be no different from my OEM rotors which were rusted in the non contact areas as well.

Here are a couple of pics:

Last edited by Rollo; 07-01-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hows DBA 4000xs ?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
I'd say stick to OEM. If you want better braking power, upgrade your lines, pads, and fluid. Unless you're racing your car, you don't need slotted or drilled rotors. They're only going to decrease your pads' life.

Or, if you're into the looks of it... I guess you can get those.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Drove around with them for a while this afternoon and they still seem great. They bedded in perfectly, pedal feel is good and they feel slightly more responsive that my OEM's did.

If I were going to track my car I would definitely not get drilled...but I'm not...I just wanted similar to oem performance with a sportier look that will further differentiate my car from the million f'ing Camry's in my part of the country. And so far, these are exactly what I had in mind.

Very inexpensive, great looking, good performance. Also, there is no need for drilled rotors any more--you can believe this or not, I don't care--but when you see drilled rotors on an M5 or Corvette they are for looks...they are awesome brakes I'm sure but they are drilled for looks. The days of needing drilled to remove gasses or promote cooling are long gone.

If I were going for purely performance in an OEM size rotor I would get DBA's. They have special cooling vane technology and I believe make the best one piece rotors you can buy. I had them on my somewhat modded WRX many years ago.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:34 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
My car feels like the rotors are warped....

Old 07-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Forget sticking with OEM rotors. They warp too dman easily. Mos the rotors mentioned in this post is of better quality than the OEM ones

Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by treacherous
Oh... the joys of an incorrect order. They sent me slotted and drilled. I wanted blanks. In addition one rotor has this machined cut on the edge of one rotor. Does anyone know what this? I've never had rotors off the G before so thought maybe it was something I wasn't aware of. Or the machine cutting this thing in China went a little haywire.
That's for balancing the rotor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need your opinion on rotors!