G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Rattling Driving Me Crazy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rattling Driving Me Crazy

I am experiencing a rattle somewhere in the front near my windshield area. I have taken everything out of my glove-box, sunglasses holder, side pockets, and center console to try and source the rattle but to no avail. It sounds like something might be rattling in the vents located near the windshield but I'm not able to find anything.
Now onto my main questions. I am out of the warranty period so how much do you think its going to cost to diagnose this problem? Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
a known problem, try a search.
go to infinitihelp.com, go to knowledgebase, service bulletins, g35 sedan, 2007, find
ITB07-007c
-REVISED-
2007-2009 INFINITI G SEDAN, G COUPE, EX; TAPPING NOISE FROM DASH AREA WHEN ENGINE IS RUNNING
A tapping noise coming from the dash area when the engine is running at operating temperature.

I know you need to make a free user account on that site to dload the service bulletin.

hope that helps

Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
a known problem, try a search.
go to infinitihelp.com, go to knowledgebase, service bulletins, g35 sedan, 2007, find
ITB07-007c
-REVISED-
2007-2009 INFINITI G SEDAN, G COUPE, EX; TAPPING NOISE FROM DASH AREA WHEN ENGINE IS RUNNING
A tapping noise coming from the dash area when the engine is running at operating temperature.

I know you need to make a free user account on that site to dload the service bulletin.

hope that helps
Thanks for the response. I did an extensive search already and came across this already but didn't think it applied because it says the tapping speed increases and decreases with the engine RPM. My problem seems to happen regardless of engine RPM, while im cruising, accelerating, deccerlating, etc.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I had a similar issue and it wasn't so much of a rattle but a rubbing noise of plastic on plastic or leather on leather... I know the dash does not contain leather but that's the comparision I can give it... I tried getting a product that will grease up the dash and shine it up when I was cleaning ... while I was at it I got into the really tight area that would pertain to the automatic tilt steering wheel column. It made it better and I don't hear the sound anymore... I don't think this helped your issue because it's so hard to tell what the issue is if you haven't heard it in person. Take it to the dealer and ask them what it could be... surely they should give you an explanation at the least and if not I would just keep asking around until you find a solution. :/ sorry!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
OP, Does it make the noise when the climate control system is completely turned off?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 AM
May want to check with the dealer, explain that multiple users have reported this issue, and they may assist in good faith.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by G3065
I had a similar issue and it wasn't so much of a rattle but a rubbing noise of plastic on plastic or leather on leather... I know the dash does not contain leather but that's the comparision I can give it... I tried getting a product that will grease up the dash and shine it up when I was cleaning ... while I was at it I got into the really tight area that would pertain to the automatic tilt steering wheel column. It made it better and I don't hear the sound anymore... I don't think this helped your issue because it's so hard to tell what the issue is if you haven't heard it in person. Take it to the dealer and ask them what it could be... surely they should give you an explanation at the least and if not I would just keep asking around until you find a solution. :/ sorry!
WOW, that is exactly the issue I'm having. I hear squeaking coming from the left side of the steering wheel column, or maybe the left vent, not sure - somewhere from the left side, and it does sound like rubber on rubber, and it happens when going over bumpy surfaces. I'm wondering what you did to resolve the issue? It'd save me a trip and a fight with the dealer, since they said they "couldn't reproduce" it. I appreciate the insight.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a rattle in the front passenger side. I took it to the dealer. And after three days, they replaced my whole dash, and the windshield. Rattle is gone

Old 10-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have some weird rattling and clicking sounds; random. It doesn't really bother me but the rattling when I turn on my music a bit louder is annoying.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue, but my rattle is on the passenger side. It sounds like it is coming from the vents at the very bottom of the windshield. I think I am going to drop it off at the dealer and see what they can figure out. Its not that loud, but I always hear it and it drives me crazy.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
OP, Does it make the noise when the climate control system is completely turned off?
Yep, noise still present when the climate control system is turned off. I have taken some video and will upload it later when I get off work.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a common issue with the G, especially when the temperature drops. Do you notice it less when it's warm or hot out vs when it's cold? I know mine has the same rattle/squeak when the weather gets colder outside, especially when I go over bumps. But once it warms up, the noises go away. Since you're in the Bay area, I assume it rarely gets warm enough to compare. I think it has to do with the glue/seal that holds the windshield on. It hardens when it's cold and causes that sound, the solution is usually to remove the windshield and redo the seal.
Mine is also coming from the left side up around the vent. I'm looking to replace my windshield soon anyhow so I will see if that fixes the issue.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 PM
^^ Yup, living in the Bay Area we don't get a very wide range of temperature changes so its tough to tell if the weather has an effect. For example, yesterday morning (~60 degrees) I noticed the rattle as soon as I left my house and then coming home (~75 degrees) it sounded the same.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea, mine was making noises until we got this heatwave coming through with the average temps hovering in the 90's here in SoCal, now it's silent and my interior is completely squeak/rattle free.. lol
I'm sure that I'll start hearing it again when the temp dips back into the 70's and below.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Here is a video clip of the rattle sound that I am talking about. You can hear the rattle about 13 seconds in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattling Driving Me Crazy