G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Can't Put Gas in the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs down Can't Put Gas in the G

40 miles to empty, I usually fill it up. Last night was no different on my way home I stopped at the Shell and starting pumping only got $3 dollars worth in (which is .000001 gallon it feels like) and it starting spewing gas back at me. Stopped tried to start again kept shutting the hose off?

Any ideas

I had a baffle put in before warranty expired TSB

Last edited by LakeShore_Slate; 02-19-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Hmmm. Did you try a different gas pump? I've had it happen where the shutoff on the hose went bonkers; moved to the next pump and all was good.

I'm sure you know for certain that you are truly low on gas and there's no chance the car gauges are misleading you, so no point in going there.

But what's this baffle TSB thing you're referring to?

Last edited by vqsmile; 02-19-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Was this the TSB you had done? ITB08-041a

If so, maybe that FLV valve cover (which I assume to be the baffle you mentioned) came loose. It looks like it just clips into place.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Its the fuel pump, i had this problem, i went to Nissan dealer, one of the techs did some reset with the ECU and it went away.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Hmmm. Did you try a different pump? I've had it happen where the shutoff on the hose went bonkers; moved to the next pump and all way good.

I'm sure you know for certain that you are truly low on gas and there's no chance the car gauges are misleading you, so no point in going there.

But what's this baffle TSB thing you're referring to?
I've been truly low on gas lol
Less than 1 mile before empty last monday (:
I was scared outta my ***** lol

Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
Its the fuel pump, i had this problem, i went to Nissan dealer, one of the techs did some reset with the ECU and it went away.
Well, since the car is off (ie. ECU is un-powered), for the life of me, I can not imagine how it is possible that an ecu reset would have any affect of this matter.

Last edited by vqsmile; 02-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
I have no idea, my friend who worked at the dealer told me thats what one of the techs did maybe he did something else but i have no idea.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Tried different pump same thing. Yes that's the TSB referenced in the work papers I have. Will check with Nissan doing a ECU reset to fix it sounds bizarre but will check that.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by LakeShore_Slate
Tried different pump same thing. Yes that's the TSB referenced in the work papers I have. Will check with Nissan doing a ECU reset to fix it sounds bizarre but will check that.
1) No doubt, since you had the TSB done, then you must have had this, or similar, problems previously.

2) Then, after you had this done, the problem went away.

3) Now, after some period of time, it's back.

To my way of thinking, this points to the original "fix" as being a highly probable suspect here. If you read through the TSB, you can see that it's just a shroud that clips over the FLV valve ( FLV = Fuel Limit Vent; sounds pretty relevant here!). Maybe the service tech who installed it didn't get it clipped on 100% and it's now come loose, rendering the TSB ineffective; as if it were never done in the first place, Or even worse yet, it could have shifted in such a way that it plugs something up and makes the problem with the vent valve even worse.

Anyway, all that I'm saying is: ALL of this is consistent with your current symptoms.

The following users liked this post:
LakeShore_Slate (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had the problem as described in the TSB, were I could not fill the tank past half way, and I found a way around this.

When I fill the tank, I hold the nozzle only semi inserted, like I don't put the nozzle all the way in, I just have it half out, and pointed up.

Every time I fill the tank with this method I get a full tank of gas, and no splash.

The following users liked this post:
LakeShore_Slate (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
1) No doubt, since you had the TSB done, then you must have had this, or similar, problems previously.

2) Then, after you had this done, the problem went away.

3) Now, after some period of time, it's back.

To my way of thinking, this points to the original "fix" as being a highly probable suspect here. If you read through the TSB, you can see that it's just a shroud that clips over the FLV valve ( FLV = Fuel Limit Vent; sounds pretty relevant here!). Maybe the service tech who installed it didn't get it clipped on 100% and it's now come loose, rendering the TSB ineffective; as if it were never done in the first place, Or even worse yet, it could have shifted in such a way that it plugs something up and makes the problem with the vent valve even worse.

Anyway, all that I'm saying is: ALL of this is consistent with your current symptoms.
Yeah, that's defiantly a possibly and what I think may have occurred because my door pull trim that I got replaced looks exactly how it did when I had it replaced. My problem to get the TSB done was occasionally when I would top off my tank when it was ~1/2 way filled up it would presumably splash around to much and make the pump shut off just like its doing now.

Originally Posted by dimsler
I've had the problem as described in the TSB, were I could not fill the tank past half way, and I found a way around this.

When I fill the tank, I hold the nozzle only semi inserted, like I don't put the nozzle all the way in, I just have it half out, and pointed up.

Every time I fill the tank with this method I get a full tank of gas, and no splash.
Thanks, I will try this next.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I had the same issue the other day but no problems that I could point out at the moment.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had this problem today

Old 02-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sad to say it still a problem for INFINITI. I USED to have 2004 G35 coupe for 5years and I had the same issue. I tried going to different Gas station and only let me put $15 dollars worth of gas. So I went to the dealer and they told me its a Gas sensor that reach the nozzle when our gas tank is full. But Now I have 2007 journey hope it will not happen to me again, In case it happens (knocked on wood) I know what to say to my dealer because for sure they have a record of me going there before for the same problem.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was just me, I'm having this problem for a while. When the pump stops and tank not full I always just lift or turn the pump to different angle to get it done, but it's hassle. I tried different pump, gas station, all same. I think I'll take my car to dealer this weekend to check it out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't Put Gas in the G