G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Has anyone gone from a Lexus/Bmw or Benz to the Infiniti?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
trolling or not. Some good discussion here. I've always wanted a bmw but optioned out the price was too much to bear. Doesn't look like I'm missing much from all the bmw owners chiming in here.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Premier Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The only think i would have like to see done better is maybe add more sound deadening material so i can use my BT while on the freeway, and not have so much road noise, and not have so many rattles. I bought my 08 g35 used with 35k miles. at 37k with stock stereo everything started to rattle, doors decklid, dash. thinks i could expect from the lower line cars. just my 2cents

Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
OP too busy racing civics with his M3?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
comparing apples and oranges as far as price goes, the reliability and maintenance factor is also pears and bananas as far as your complaints go....comming from a guy who has owned a bimmer and a lex brahhhh

Old 04-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
is the bmw leather supposed to be better then the leather in the g35s? the one in the infinitis are nice and soft which i prefer vs the bmw is stiff and dry feeling. im not a leather fanatic so i dont kno if the stiff dry wrinkly leather is supposed to be better. bmw radio is bulky and ugly too btw.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Have you driven an Altima along side your G? My mom has an 09 and trust me, my 08 S is not an Altima Sports package... completely different cars lol.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
While I would say my G35 is a side-step from my father's previous '03 Acura TL-S, I will admit his '06 RL has some things in it that I am envious of. Not $12,000 worth of envy, but "that's nice... maybe I'll add that to my car this weekend" nice... maybe it's because i like DIY... I will say, though, at 140K miles as of this weekend, my '04 Sedan is the best valued vehicle I've ever had. ZERO mechanical problems.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i just bought an 08 G35 with nav/backup camera/Bluetooth, basically every option i wanted in platinum graphite and i LOOOOOOOOOVE it, i feel like a million bucks and that's all that matters. I am coming from an 01 F250 7.3 Powerstroke on 38's that handles horrible, brakes horrible, but can get out of it's way pretty quick for weighing 8000 lbs. I DID NOT sell my truck, have had it for 9 yrs and it is my baby. I just wanted a car with a little better mileage and i felt i deserved this at this point in my life. Some people can afford all the expensive toys, i however can not, military doesn't pay THAT well, but every time i get in this new car i FEEL great because i know i worked hard for it, along with my truck.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
majority of lexus and toyota keyless fobs are the same so you can't really point out any negatives their against the G/nissan. Oh and BTW I came from a lexus GS350.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see your point in a way, the interior does look like rubber made tote material. Yes thay could have put more time and energy into interior material and build quality but you still get a very nice car with the G especially for that price

Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do love my G for a lot of things but I hate it for some of the reasons mentioned by the OP as well. My cousin has a 2010 Altima and the key fob and headliner are the same. Its not enough for me to care but I did notice it. The chipping/peeling interior parts do bother me quite a bit and the creaking or squeaky (or whatever you want to call it) interior does get on my nerves. It seems to be much worse when I have a passenger and during the warm-up weather we are having right now. The driver's window also is quite noisy and seems like it could come off the track on a bad day. Rough idle on cold start, excess engine noise at medium to high acceleration. The auto transmission also seems to be quirky and inconsistent in the way it shifts and has most recently started leaking on me. (Still in warranty so going to have it looked at when I get time)

I didn't expect to have to do all these DIY's just to make the car more like it should be. By which I mean ground wires (done and not impressed), painting interior parts (getting ready to do it because my pulls are embarrassingly bad, not sure what to do with the steering wheel bezel.) Throttle body cleaning regularly, and I don't even know what I'm going to do about the creaking interior but it is taking me very close to considering a trade in. I have read some of the fixes on here but they seem pretty hit or miss. I love my G at times but annoyances can really add up.

It is true every car has problems and there are worse ones anyone could have but I would like to see the basic stuff done better, or for the manufacturer to take more initiative to fixing these things in and out of warranty since most of these problems are definitely their fault. I wouldn't say I have sworn of nissan and infiniti but I will be thinking twice for sure on my next purchase.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I came from an 02 BMW 330i with sport package and while the G is a great car it doesn't have the same handling feel of the BMW. That car felt as if it pivoted around my head....as if it was balanced and when you turned the wheel the car would lean in to the turn or something. It's hard to describe.

I too am less than happy about sharing components with basic Nissans but it is certainly not a deal breaker. I also wish the styling was a little more distinctive. For instance the Lexus IS line doesn't look like the base Toyotas--the ES does but it is not really an "enthusiast" car like the G. The G looks a lot like the newer Altimas.

I gave my BMW to my daughter when she turned 16 and it is still running well with 141000 miles on it. I switched to the G because I wanted performance similar to BMW but my BMW mechanic scared me away from the newer generation 3 series. I drive about 25k a year for work so can't afford to have a car in the shop regularly.

I am thinking seriously of changing to a 328i manual after the G. Bimmer was an auto and I missed the kick in the pants from the previous car that I hoped to get back with the G. The manual G has some kick to it but the engine is so rough I don't find myself playing with it like I did my last manual--a slightly modded WRX.

Anyway, the G is a great car and I have put 40k trouble free miles on it so far and might just keep it a long time...it is a really nice looking car, is reliable, has nice features like bluetooth and nav and voice controls and a great sound system after I added a sub, and I can probably put 100k miles on it with little maintenance costs. .

Old 06-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both the 3 series, IS cars and G35's are great cars... I recently sold my 06 G35 and bought a 08 328i 6 speed..

Its slower than the G thats for sure and also im sure less reliable being german im not gonna argue that but somethings on my 06 did feel too nissan ish vs infiniti ( a luxury brand ).

Perfect example, albeit minor but just some of the minor annoyances :

Before my 06 G35 6MT Sedan I have a VW Jetta VR6 a 2000 model year at that.
  • It had rain sensing wipers
  • It didnt use a prop rod for the hood ( had shocks )
  • Passenger mirror tilted down and in when in reverse
  • Felt more luxury inside ( nicer materials ) ..

Theres no reason at all a 2000 year Jetta should have any option a Infiniti G35 in 2006 has.

Like I said I loved my G, It was fast reliable and a fun car but it def feels a ton less refined than the BMW.. The engine in the BMW is alot smoother the VQ got a little rough in the upper revs,
fit and finish is light years ahead and so is the materials used ( I have a 328 ) not a 335 not an M3 just a basic 6 speed rwd 328.

Whoever said this is an ugly interior needs there head examined.

All in all im a car enthusiast and im not biased to any one brand although I love Nissans you cant really beat the G35 for its performance to value ratio, mine never went to the shop for anything whatsoever NOTHING in 35k miles and it was fast and handled great but I do feel the BMWs are still ahead a little when it comes to handling and choice of materials design etc.. just not in the value or reliability.

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 06-05-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20
Whoever said this is an ugly interior needs there head examined.

The interior isn't ugly, just plain, but it sure isn't as refined as most of the other luxury brands (Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes.) Have you seen the interior of the C class? What would make it look nicer is having a navi system/infotainment screen standard like the Infinitis. In fact, the interior is very similar to Acura TSX without the Nav system- just lots of buttons and *****. The sound system on a base 3-series BMW is a joke. The red dot matrix display makes it feel outdated in the center console.

BMW definitely handles very well though.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-05-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
i think the bmw int is ugly. weird stiff leather, ugly shifter with ugly shift boot. stupid looking wide radio with generic looking orange display. stupid irritating cup holders. and the gas pedal feels gay

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone from a Lexus/Bmw or Benz to the Infiniti?