G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Issues that i couldnt figure out how to fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Issues that i couldnt figure out how to fix

Just wanted anyones insight if they have the same issue.

1. The car always gives off so much heat from underneath the car. I drive around and when i come to a stop light, i can see the steam/haze from the side of the car (always on either side depending on wind). I let my hand out the window and feel the heat. Is there something wrong with the exhaust? I even parked the car and kept it running to check it out and and the heat always comes from the side of the car. Sometimes it is so hot that i cant leave my hand out the window.

2. This is a brake question. When i am at a red light, i try to let the car creep a little until the light turns green, and i release the brake pedal just a tad and hear the loudest grinding noise, if i let go of the brake completely there is no noise. (I cant move the car up an inch or two without making so much noise from the rotors or brakes. I had installed new rotors and pads last month.

any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
1. Normal. Probably due to the cover under the car. The heat has to go somewhere right?

2.It will always do it when its cold. You'll hear it occasionally when they are warmed up. It also depends on the brand and type of brakes you installed.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
#1: I've noticed that too even in cooler weather... til this day I haven't had any issues pop up or be noticed when I take the car in for maintenance.
#2: I usually don't have this issue unless it's raining... I don't think this has anything to do with it but I'll ask anyway, did you follow the process of braking in the rotors after installation?
^ as mentioned it could be the type of brakes?

Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I understand there is heat coming from the bottom cover of the car, and i do feel the heat coming from the underbody, but the heat im talking about is so much hotter and comes after a few seconds when im stopped at a red light.

I havent done the brake in for my brakes when i bought them new, my brother suggested that it wasnt neccessary. I did however try to do it while commuting to work (speeding then immediatley braking). the squeal and the car not moving up smoothly happens all the time, whether its cold or hot, rain or dry.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
1. Heat coming out of the sides of the car is normal. It happens to me too, especially when you are stopped since there's no airflow from the outside so the car's radiator fans kick in. If you have the AC on the heat is worse. As long as your temperature gauge records normal it's fine. After I turn the car off, and step outside, I can also feel the heat. I've also have an OBD reader and the car's coolant temperature usually sits between 190-210 degrees Fahrenheit, depending if the car is sitting still in traffic or on the highway where there's more airflow. Engines run even hotter than these temperatures. Even in the summer, when I cross a street next to a car, I can feel the heat coming from below the car too when it is stopped. It's the way cars are designed...the heat has to come up from the sides and bottom of the car because of the exhaust. It's actually a sign your whole cooling system is working well.

2. This is normal. It happens to me too whenever I disengage the brake slightly, you can hear a grinding noise. It's not really a grinding noise, but it's a noise when the brake pad is not completely off the rotor but somewhat touching it causing the noise. It happens to every car. Just disengage the brake pedal quicker and it won't happen. This happens to the Lexus and Honda cars I have. Some brake pads/rotor combination are more prone to this than others. You also might have residue on your rotors or brake pads so perhaps try cleaning them with brake cleaner. It gets worse when you have a car wash because they spray things into your wheels and some of them might get on your brake components. I personally know that tire shine products make this happen worse.

The issues you are describing are not really issues, just normal occurrences from a luxury sports car. Don't forget, that the heat is worse while it is stopped because there is a lot less airflow, so the fans have to come on to keep the car from overheating, which directs the air downwards and upwards to the hood plus with the exhaust heat. It's like having wind on your face to keep you cool once you're moving vs. no wind at all.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
The heat - Without us being able to actually feel the amount of heat you are trying to describe, we can't/shouldn't really say whether it's normal or not. If it concerns you then you should probably take it to be inspected.

The brakes - Again, like above, it's hard to diagnose based on your description of a sound. If you are comfortable with it, try the procedure for bedding in brakes (link) . It will either help immediately or do nothing for your specific issue. I did this when I had my 07x and it helped for a little while but ultimately I had the brakes replaced under judder TSB.
Good luck

Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
it's a car..**** is going to get hot

Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
well your brakes could be getting there but you'll have to check on that yourself and yea car gets hot, but i'm not sure steam haze hot but that could be dependent on location