G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How should I spend ~$1k :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
How should I spend ~$1k :)

Long story short, I am looking to put $1k - $1500 into my car and then put the car on the backburner for 2-3 years. I have been looking at all of my options, and want your guys' input! These options are all over the place, I haven't even gone into detail yet. The main question is whether or not I want to spend most to all of the money on wheels OR spend the money on various mods such as lip, diffuser, etc. and keep the wheels slightly stock

Some info about my car and current mods:
'07 PG G35s
Black Grille (Plastidip)
BC BR Coilovers (Lowered quite a bit, not slammed yet)
Muffler Delete w/ custom piping and tips

Things I will not do/Reasons:
Performance mods (I don't need the extra power)
Suspension/Handling mods (I don't need them for a dd)

Mods I am considering(Don't have enough money for all, I would have to choose):
Black headlight housings
Front sport Lip
Autokits diffuser
Wheels (19inch, 370z 19in Rays, G37s, VMR, a few others)
20% tint
Roof Spoiler

So I have two options I've been looking at:
1. Black headlights, front lip, diffuser, tint, roof spoiler, paint my oem 18inch sport wheels dark gray/gunmetal and buy spacers and give it a good stance. I could do all of those for around $1k, or I could do option two....
2. Spend almost all of the money on wheels and be able to only buy one mod whichever I choose.

The thing I'm asking is for your input, would you rather buy several smaller mods or a item such as wheels? Any suggestions on what you think will look good? Just want to hear everyone's 2 cents, good or bad let me know! This setup will have to hold me over for 2-3 years! Yes, I know people are going to say, do what you want, etc. but I want to know if other's regret buying wheels when they could've bought several mods for the money, etc.

Pics of my car: (I have lowered my rear about .5 inches since these pictures were taken, will go another .5inches soon!)

Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
If you don't want performance or handling mods, I say just do wheels and a drop and call it a day.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
If you don't want performance or handling mods, I say just do wheels and a drop and call it a day.
I'm already dropped, I dropped my car in the rear after I took those pictures. The wheels I am leaning towards currently are VMR 710 or 721's.
EDIT: Or the 705's I just noticed they made our pcd.

Last edited by Rotary; 09-26-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, you've got some nice mods already, especially the coilovers & exhaust and you've got the nicest oem sedan wheels for sure.
Are you good at DIYs? If so you can paint the lights yourself. I've got a couple DIY links for smoked tails, that leave your actual light rings still visible (and legal) and also a DIY for black window trim. Just doing a couple DIYs will save you hundreds and you can just pony up for new wheels. Those VMR wheels are really nice looking and pretty affordable, would look great with that color.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vmr+...w=1366&bih=636
Here's those DIY links, the tails and trim are easy, the headlights a bit more involved, but if you don't mind rolling up your sleeves............
HTHs
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...ils-sedan.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...nt-sedans.html
http://www.6mt.net/forum/g37-sedan/3...-blackout.html

Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the input! Yes, doing it myself is a big reason I buy mods
I work on my car as well as friends' cars almost every week haha. I would be doing everything myself including mounting the wheels, maybe not tint although I am considering it .

Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotary
Thanks for the input! Yes, doing it myself is a big reason I buy mods
I work on my car as well as friends' cars almost every week haha. I would be doing everything myself including mounting the wheels, maybe not tint although I am considering it .
I've done all my mods from changing the springs/camber arms, exhaust, and all the exterior mods, the only one that really was a PITA was the headlights, mainly just removing the first headlight cover since it's kind of tough to initially know how much pull you need to get that damn thing off and realize that just getting it started then pulling the whole cover is much better than trying to pry the lens off in small sections. Anytime you're baking parts of your car it is cranking the DIY meter up a notch, kind of like installing my DRLs that involved a holesaw, once you talk baking or holesaws you know it's a commitment
At any rate, have fun spending that 1k, let us know how it goes

Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
new shoes for sure

Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by blnewt
I've done all my mods from changing the springs/camber arms, exhaust, and all the exterior mods, the only one that really was a PITA was the headlights, mainly just removing the first headlight cover since it's kind of tough to initially know how much pull you need to get that damn thing off and realize that just getting it started then pulling the whole cover is much better than trying to pry the lens off in small sections. Anytime you're baking parts of your car it is cranking the DIY meter up a notch, kind of like installing my DRLs that involved a holesaw, once you talk baking or holesaws you know it's a commitment
At any rate, have fun spending that 1k, let us know how it goes
Yessir, that's the stage I'm at right now, I haven't committed to a certain look yet.

Originally Posted by ieG786
new shoes for sure
Thanks for your suggestion!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Dont black out the headlights, makes it look cheap. The chrome finish is more expensive then just blacking it out.

I would say go with 370z rims. Nice Forged wheels over VMR cast iron wheels

Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by UmadBro?
Dont black out the headlights, makes it look cheap. The chrome finish is more expensive then just blacking it out.

I would say go with 370z rims. Nice Forged wheels over VMR cast iron wheels
I know what you mean about the headlights. I'm hoping I can see similar setups at the GTG on Saturday and make a decision. I want to see everything in person and then I will reevaluate my choices and see what I do and don't like.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
If you want some good ideas, come to the gtg meet this saturday.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
If you want some good ideas, come to the gtg meet this saturday.
"I'm hoping I can see similar setups at the GTG on Saturday and make a decision."

I just posted this a few minutes ago haha. I'll be there though.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
I see the list and so e great 2nd gen sedans will be there. I did a lot of work myself.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotary
I'm already dropped, I dropped my car in the rear after I took those pictures. The wheels I am leaning towards currently are VMR 710 or 721's.
EDIT: Or the 705's I just noticed they made our pcd.
I think V705s would look pretty classy.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
I think V705s would look pretty classy.
I know! I like the 705's and 710's, it's a matter of which ones I like just a tad bit more. I'd be more than happy with either of them. Gunmetal 705's....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How should I spend ~$1k :)