G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

P0014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0014

Hi Guys,
Recently my SES light came on and the code its throwing is P0014. I tried searching but cannot narrow it down to which part needs to be replaced.

The dealership states that replacing the Valve Timing Cover (13040-JK28A) will fix it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I think I'd like to know more about why the dealership believes that is the cause of the fault. Here's the P-code breakdown for it:

http://engine-codes.com/p0014_infiniti.html

(please note that nowhere in there does it mention the cover as a likely cause)

Clearly, this is a VVT timing function fault, which can be caused by something as simple as dirty oil. Did they do any real diagnostic work to determine that your car has a bad cover? Or was this just their best guess for that particular code? Seems like there's got to be more to this story.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm going to assume they did real diagnostic work to determine that was the part that needs to be replaced.

Doing some searching on the boards shows that some people replaced the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor or the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid, but I'm really unsure as to which one I should replace.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by kperajis
I'm going to assume they did real diagnostic work to determine that was the part that needs to be replaced.

Doing some searching on the boards shows that some people replaced the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor or the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid, but I'm really unsure as to which one I should replace.
This is a common mistake people make when troubleshooting a fault code. If you just throw parts at it without interpreting the fault, you are just gambling with potentially expensive parts. There is a logical description of what the ECU is looking for, and what it is instead encountering, which makes it determine a fault has occurred. There are numerous components involved in the operation that is being performed, if you just plan on shotgunning each one of those parts, you could be in for a whole lot of unnecessary replacements along the way.

If you already paid the dealership to troubleshoot the problem, and they did indeed track down the fault to that cover, why are you considereing throwing other parts at it? I think I'd first want them to explain in very clear terms for me WHY that is THE part that is causing this fault. Are they 100% sure? and will they guarantee that it will indeed fix the problem? OR if it doesn't, will they remove and return the part to their stock without any charge to you.

You can quickly assertain just how sure they are that they've found it. If they come back and say that they found a crack or something, then perhaps they're onto something, but if they say that the threads for one of the sensors which lives in the cover are all stripped or something, then I'd want to make sure they themselves, did not cause the problem with the cover during their troubleshooting efforts and they're now just trying to claim it is the cause of the problem. (As you can tell, I can be fairly suspicious of dealerships) Bottom line, it's just weird that they're calling out the cover, so they better have a damn good and clear reason to do so IMHO.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm throwing the same code right now. If this has been resolved please let me know how.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by carl576
I'm throwing the same code right now. If this has been resolved please let me know how.
No I never got this resolved. I had diagnostics run at a different location and they stated that the Valve Timing Cover needs to replaced as well.

Please let me know if you get it resolved.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by kperajis
No I never got this resolved. I had diagnostics run at a different location and they stated that the Valve Timing Cover needs to replaced as well.

Please let me know if you get it resolved.
Well, that says something then. Did they offer any explanation of WHY the timing cover is the suspect?