G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08
View Poll Results: Should I keep the extended warranty from AUL?
No- the car is not known to have any issues which will be covered under the ext. warranty
28.57%
Yes - you may need it considering its 5 years old and already close to 80k miles
42.86%
No- there may not be any major repairs most likely that will justify 2806
57.14%
Yes - have heard that it needs atleast one major repair in 5-10 years or around 100-120k miles
14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Extended warranty question - Purchased an 08 G35X Sedan !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2013 | 04:29 PM
|
Extended warranty question - Purchased an 08 G35X Sedan !

Hi guys,

I purchased an '08 G35X Sedan last week. It has 79.5k miles on it. I bought from a Chevy Dealership cos the price was lesser there..(so obviously no inspections were done on it ) I purchased the extended warranty from AUL through my credit union. It costs me 2806 with 0 deductible and is valid for 5 years and 50k miles. Its supposed to be their highest "bumper to bumper" sort of plan.

It bumped up my monthly payment by 55 dollars! Guys, do you think its worth paying the $ 2806 ? Are there any known / common issues with the G35X Sedan. Having gone through the fine print back at home, I am appalled by the number of exclusions in the "Bumper-bumper coverage". Though originally they stated they cover wear and tear- they have excluded all the parts that can possibly wear and tear! And looks like, dashboard electronics is not covered either.

Are there any issues which people have been facing with the 08 G35X Sedan...like any water pump, timing belt replacement? On my car I already noticed the steering skin is peeling off, the coating/paint on the door handle is kind of stripped off and on the inside of the door- the paint/coating is worn off near the buttons. But none of these are covered obviosuly!

Guys- do you think I am better off saving that 2806 and cancelling the plan in the next 60 days? I purchased a used car with 79.5k miles for saving money at first place!

Old 11-02-2013 | 07:37 PM
I vote other.

I did one of these on my Jeep SRT8. They said that my condition was pre-existing to buying the jeep (even though they didn't check it over or anything) and refused to service my car under the warrantee.

Replace things that break with better aftermarket stuff.

Old 11-02-2013 | 08:46 PM
|
treacherous - It has Nav and premium package..I originally thought it had tech package, but then I don't see the AFS switch shown in the manual.. so that was a bummer! The dealer said, fully loaded with all options..and I didn't check further before i bought. It was a chevy dealer and probably he didn't know either.

jtrain - thanks for your input on the jeep. I also have a CR-V, bought it pre-owned. Did not opt for Ext. warranty and well, I assume honda parts would be cheaper than Infiniti.

Old 11-02-2013 | 08:47 PM
|
and by the way, is your Elite plan from Nissan? Mine is a third party warranty.. Its called 'AUL Reserve'..

Old 11-03-2013 | 03:05 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Premier Member
I voted to cancel the warranty. Not many reports of G's needing major repairs until well after 100K on here, but obviously there are some. My 05 has 122K and I've spent around $600 on repairs other than routine maintenance and the repairs were expected (lower control arm bushings and lower ball joints) with my mileage. These cars will last a long time on average if they're taken care of.

Old 11-04-2013 | 01:12 PM
When I bought my '08 pre-owned, I opted not to get the extended warranty (at around $2800 I think) because part of getting a Japan made car is that it *should* be more reliable.

Having said that, you can't say 100% that nothing major would go wrong within the period of the ownership. Having something goes wrong without an extended warranty is always a risk. Its how much you think its worth it to you.

If you keep up with the maintenance and drive the car within reason, then you may lower the risk of something major going wrong. But nonetheless, the risk is there.

Old 11-04-2013 | 02:35 PM
|
Question

I appreciate your inputs! So,. if there were repairs.. how expensive are we talking about.. far more than say, a Honda or Toyota will cost? I know it depends on what part if brokenm, but still.. for the same part, is Infiniti part way costly?

I would like to save that 2806 and possibly set it aside for repairs myself- but then, this is my first 'premium' car .. and I will be darned!

Old 11-06-2013 | 04:49 PM
Save up

I recommend you save that $2800 for any repairs in the future and use good aftermarket parts which will keeps the cost down...becasue if nothing goes wrong you will regret paying that extra $55 a month.

Old 11-06-2013 | 11:00 PM
When I had my 07' G (traded it in for a 328i), the powertrain warranty was still in effect for about a year (expired August of this year, 2013).

Made quite a substantial use of it for the following:

- New Transmission: old one was slow to engage reverse and drive, would lurch into gear sometimes.
- New front wheel bearings: made noise, common issue.
- Thermostat and Radiator fan module: overheated due to some malfunction. Was towed to dealer.
- Catalytic Converter: One of them was not working effectively, so got a new one.

All of this happened during the period of May to July. I know these are reliable cars, but mine wasn't so... But it was a joy to drive around in! Would have kept it a lot longer if these problems didn't surface... (overheating and catalytic converter)

But in the end, en extended warranty isn't worth it. You'll probably be able to save enough for when repairs surface. And most cases, you won't be able to get the full value of the warranty.

Old 11-10-2013 | 10:51 PM
Im at 105K and running strong. Best car ive ever owned. Only problem was an axle leak at 60K and wheel bearing at 80k. But im selling mine soon and getting a BMW. I got a job with BMW so...... its time.

Last edited by luger303; 11-10-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2013 | 09:56 PM
|
The TPMS light started showing up last week. Turns out one sensor had gone bad. Extended warranty refused to cover it saying wireless transmitters are excluded..!

Old 11-13-2013 | 10:00 PM
Save the 3k and just use to towards upgraded replacement parts later.

Old 11-15-2013 | 11:20 PM
I think the Elite warranty is well worth the money, and I about broke even with mine (now out of warranty as am over 96K miles).

Old 11-22-2013 | 08:25 AM
I also have the Elite warranty, paid about $1800, and have about another 45K miles, 3 years left on it. They replaced 2 TPMS sensors and the sunroof rubber trim as well. I believe it's worth the money, but I haven't had any major issues yet - fingers crossed -

Old 07-09-2014 | 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by mroadster2k
I also have the Elite warranty, paid about $1800, and have about another 45K miles, 3 years left on it. They replaced 2 TPMS sensors and the sunroof rubber trim as well. I believe it's worth the money, but I haven't had any major issues yet - fingers crossed -
You mentioned you had your "sunroof rubber trim" replaced under the Elite warranty. I have the Elite warranty also (w/$100 deductible) but was told all trims are excluded from the warranty.

I tried to get that lining on the outside of the sunroof replaced (as it's beginning to crack), as well as other trims like steering wheel and door trims, but was denied.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty question - Purchased an 08 G35X Sedan !